Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rrw71)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
How is the Surf wake(Goofy and Regular)? Pictures would be great.

Anyone ever put a trim tab on or consider the benefits?

How fast does the "old" balast system fill? Does it use individual ballast puppies?

Anyone feel underpowered with the 343 or have the ZR409?

Anyone use the 2 speed transmission? Wish u had it?

Anyone putting extra ballast in the lockers for a better surf wake? How much?

Anything you wish you would have ordered on it?

What was you decision based on between the TWB and F21?

Thanks!

Last edited by rrw71; 04-04-2010 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-04-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
Surf wake on the TWB and F21 are great...sorry don't have any pictures right now.
I see no reason for a trim tab :-)
I'm not sure of how fast the old ballast system fills/drains, however I would assume just about as fast (or slow) as all other boats.
I have the 343 and it has plenty of power.
Never tried the 2-speed transmission and don't see a need for it personally.
Only thing I didn't order that I wish I did was a heater...although this can be installed easily after the fact. (Next winter's project)
Both boats are awesome! I chose the TWB due to the traditional bow and additional seating.

-P
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-05-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   

The surf wake is great with just stock ballast. It is easy to surf ropeless w/out any additional ballast. When we surf we simply fill the ballast all the way on one side while leaving the other side empty. Then we moved everybody in the boat to the surf side. I personally think the goofy side is a little better than the regular side.

My dealer told me once that when they surf the TWB they fill the surf side all the way, but also fill the opposite tank 1/2 way. I've tried that it made the wave wasn't quite as tall, but it got longer.

The other thing I plan to try this summer is putting 400-500 lbs. in the bow (lead, pop bags, bags, people, etc.). Mike Brendel even told me at the show he once built a TWB for one his pro riders with 500 lbs. of concrete in the bow (below the floor). Clearly this is a boat that does better with some weight in the bow. I think it will also help to lengthen the sweet spot on the wave.

The really cool thing about the gravity fed ballast is that it's very easy to switch from a regular setup to a goofy setup. You can litterally switch sides from rider to rider.

Here is a pic of the surf wave with stock ballast filled just on one side. We didn't have too many people in the boat either. I am still holding the rope because I am not very good yet. But I have seen lots of friends go ropeless on this wave.

I also created a video to show folks how it works. Sorry, no people in the water so it's hard to get a feel for the true size. But entertaining nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v651LFNUPCk

Here is another video from MB showing the F21 surf wake (same hull as my TWB).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQCSpuV-38

I have not considered this. I don't feel like the boat needs it. However, when I talked to Mike B. at the PDX Boat Show he said he was experimenting with one at the factory. So we'll see. Maybe he'll offer them in the future.

How fast does the "old" balast system fill? Does it use individual ballast puppies?

Why are are you asking about the "old" system? The new system (one minute fill and empty) is all you should be concerned with if you are looking at F21 and TWB. MB switched all their boats to gravity fed ballast in 2008. I bet a 2007 MB with 1,800 lbs. of ballast on pumps probably takes at least 10 minutes to fill or empty. But I have no experience with this. The TWB is my first wake boat. I can't imagine having pumps.

Underpowered? No! The 343 is a great! However, I have always had a 14.25 x 14 prop. I recommend that prop to everybody. Once when I bent it I had to use a 13.5 x 17 prop and it took a little longer to get out of the hole when the ballast was full. The funny thing is that it wasn't much faster top speed with that prop (maybe 1-2mph).

Don't use it. Don't wish I had it. The beauty of the MB is it's simplicity. It's the easiest boat to drive.... easy for me and easy for whoever I let pull me. I wouldn't want to add a gear shift as something the driver has to worry about.

I haven't added extra weight yet. Other than hiding 400-500 lbs. under the bow seats, I don't plan to either. The beauty of having all that ballast under the floor is that I don't have to add bags all over the place.

If I had ordered my boat, I might have opted for the 409hp motor. Again, I think the 343 is great. But why not get more? I don't see a downside, other than $$. And even then I don't know how much extra. If it was $2K more, I'd hit it. If it was $5K or more, I'd pass. When I asked Mike about the 409hp motor in a TWB he said, "You certainly don't need it, but it sure is fun! It's turns the boat into a hot rod."

Easy for me. At the time I didn't like picklefork bows. They have grown on me a little since then. But I still think I'd pick the TWB. The fact that the interior is a little bigger (which I didn't know at the time) makes the decision even easier.

BTW, the bow of the TWB is also HUGE, expecially considering the fact that it's not picklefork. Check out how wide this thing is!

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw71 View Post

Thanks!
I have yet to ride behind my F21 but here are some videos from my test run.

Here are the videos from my F21 demo ride:

1800 lbs of ballast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Fq38hCbk8

Standard foot - wake surf (if that is what it is called)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdM9W37r-Zg

Goofy foot -wake surf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjkJywx-co

I liked the F21 because of the pickle fork look and "girth" of the bow. Here is my thread on the F21.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778024

I can't forget to mention how easy the tower is to take down!

Mario-