Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a new boat and was doing some comparisons. I can't really find a difference between these two so I was wondering if anybody could tell me what some major differences between these guys are. Thanx in advance.
Old    dholio            05-26-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
I can't tell you anything about Malibu but I would get a Nautique! I think the base motor is a carburated version in the sporster to offset the price a little bit though.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
Size! The sportster is a quite small closed bow (20' x 86") where the LXI is much larger open bow (21' x 93"). Checkout the www.malibuboats.com site it will give you all the info.
Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-26-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
There is no Sportster LXI just a regular Sportster and a LX. The LX is open bow. The Sportster series is Malibu's entry level, boat not many bells and whistles.
Old    wantboatnow            05-26-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
The main thing to look at is what you will use the boat for. The Sportster basicly has no storage in the boat. The Sunsetter LXI has a lot more room, a walk through open bow, and more storage. The LXI will also ride better in rougher water due to its deeper hull then a Sportster. The motor will be the same, they both come standard with the Vortec 310 carb.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-27-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
sunsetter has a much lower gunwale. lxi is a lot nicer boat and is bigger. lxi is actually 21'9.

however, i would recommend a sunsetter over a sunsetter lxi for wakeboarding. much easier to get a bigger wake, as sunsetter has same hull as vlx while lxi has the lifting hull ('diamond hull') however it IS possible to get a nice wake from an lxi, as I have one.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-27-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
Sportster (LX)
20' LOA
86" Beam
Sits low in the water
SV23 Hull
$25,147 base msrp
Great overall entry level boat. No fancy features just an all around good boat. Makes a great wake for skiing, plenty of power and speed for footing (310HP in 2400 lbs = FUN TO DRIVE), with the wedge and lots of weight it can actually put out a decent (not pro level) wake for wakeboarding.

Sunsetter LXI (not new Response LXI)
21'8" (per www.malibuboats.com)
93.5" beam
much bigger overall boat, with walkthru bow
SV23Diamond Hull-designed to sit higher out of water to make a better ski wake.
$33,235 base msrp
This is the biggest AWSA approved boat ever made. They accomplish that by reducing the running surface of the boat but not making it smaller. Great ski boat that with enought weight is capable of a good wakeboarding wake. Huge in size compared to the Sportster. Much more finnished. Even thought both boats use the same materials the Sportster uses just enought to get the job done, where the Sunsetter LXi will make everything look pretty also! Both are great boats. But they are quite a bit different.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help, I would love the sunsetter, or really the wakesetter but my funds don't agree with me. Which is why I am looking at the Sportster. Going to the dealer tomorrow and now that I'm armed with some knowledge hopefully I can hagle a little bit.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2003, 1:07 AM Reply   
Sunsetter is a much bigger boat, but I'd take the sportster over it or even a wakesetter any day...

In my mind, the wake is much better behind a Sportster. But thats personal preference.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-28-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I used to ride behind sporster all of the time and it has a very good wake. It is much easier to get a big wake out of a sportster. As previously mentioned the LXI has the diamond hull, plan on needing at least 2000 pounds plus people to get a marginal wake. 2000 in the sportster will be big.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
I just took the 03 Sportster LX for a ride yesterday and I was impressed, that is one sweet boat. However the price was more than anticipated. It has a titan tower with 2 board racks, bimini cover, wedge, upgraded to the 335HP Monsoon engine with mufflers. It is a demo boat with 130 hours on it and they still want 27500 + TTL. I tried to get 28500 out the door and they wouldn't bite. Does this seem too high?
Old    hockeyruss            05-29-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
The Sportser has limited storage (just under the passenger seat), that is the only drawback for wakeboarding. It is lower in the gunwall, but it is also fun to drive as it is small and it is really fast. Make sure you get board racks for storage on your tower.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-29-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
It dosen't sound to far off with all of those options. Get them to price out a new boat with the same options and see what the 130 demo hours are saving you.