Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
What are the odds that I can still get some overlays for 03 Ultra's?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-28-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Pretty good...they might just be a different color.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Yup, the Ultra's are still in production.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-28-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I have some orange ones that i am trying to get rid of.......
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
I have had these since new in 03, they are just now starting to tear. One of the best bindings I have had. Maybe it's time for some close toe's
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-28-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
New overlays are 20 dollars from Buywake.com.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
The current version of the Ultras came out in 2004 so you wanna make sure you getting the old overlays.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-29-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
You can get the newer versions of the overlays to work if you have a bit of "patience"....we've installed them and go them to work fine.
Last time I checked we had overlays in stock.

Bill @ Performance.

http://www.perfski.com/Wakeboards/Wakeboard-Boot-Parts/Liquid-Force-Ultra-Suction-Overlay.html?CFID=10238699&CFTOKEN=49152624
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-29-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Thanks guys
I am going to check local first, if I can't find them you will hear from me.
Old    110outlet            10-01-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
I have a set of 2003 Ultras size large that im not using if your interested, i would sell them for a resonable price. Im rocking the 2005 ultras right now. Let me know if your interested as there just sitting around.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Chas, Try larsons in Stockton. I think they might have some over there.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-02-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have a pair of mediums for sale.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
hey guys... ive been cycling through some bindings lately and Im really considering getting some ultra's... any advice why i should or shouldnt?

i just got done with a pair of '06 transits and last night i bought a pair of '08 Ronix One's... but closed toe just feels weird to me... i originally learned how to get up on a pair of supersuctions a while back but i wasnt good enough then to know the difference... Im looking for something that's pretty stiff and i vaguley remember the supersuctions giving me a lot of control with the board and being able to feel it real good... any advice?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-04-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
I think you'd be the first to up/downgrade from Ones to Ultras. Anyway you can demo?
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Here is my spiel on the Ultras. I have ridden them for about 6 years now. I had my first pair for about 4 years. Aside from the break in period and having to use soap to get in every time they are the best binding ever.

I get a pretty stiff hold on my ankle and they keep my heel from lifting pretty well. The only time I have a problem is when I take frontrolls big into the flats. The landing tends to make my feet slide forward in the binding just a bit but only on big TS frontrolls. W2W on them and there is no slip. The part I really enjoy about them is I get the stiffness that I want but I still have a binding that is flexible enough to poke things out. Oh and there is nothing to break on them. I only replaced the last pair with a new pair because I tore the overlay after 4 years and I liked the color of the newer version. As mentioned in this thread I could have just gotten a new overlay and keep right on using them.
Old    justinh            10-05-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
When they finally dicontinue the Ultras I will have to move back to the Wileys. I have been unable to make to hop to “snowboard style” bindings—and I have really tried. This spring I rode them for 3 months until I gave up. When I hopped back on the Ultras it was magical.

Why I don’t ride “snowboard style” bindings—I have tried a lot of them.

--I feel like I am on stilts. I feel very disconnected from the board because thicker foot beds and exotic connection systems are between me and what I am trying to control.
--I don’t feel like my foot is held well. The harder I pull the strings the tighter the ankles get, but my foot never feels held down well.
--On the same note, a loose foot and tight ankle means that I can’t make the tiny adjustments I need while riding. It almost takes out the ankle joint all together.
--Lastly, the nail in the coffin for me were the slams. I took more hard falls this spring than I have taken in years. Rather than ejecting when I caught an edge I rotated like a hammer straight on to my skull. I was well on my way to a concussion when I finally said forget it.

I know I am not the norm, but there are others like me. I personally believe that “snowboard style” bindings are very comfortable, but I feel it is at a sacrifice to performance. NEW BINDINGS SHOULD HURT—or maybe I’m just old school.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Justin,

You really need to check out the O'Brien Xenons. They have all the comfort of a snowboard style binding, but still fit and hold like a old school binding.

With the closed toe bindings I have ridden so far, I agree 100% with what you said. The biggest thing I agree with is the slams, I have seen my friends that have closed toe bindings take some of the most brutal slams ever (I have been wakeboarding since 91) on simple toe catches!! They didn't come out of the boots. One had a concussion and the after effects for almost 2 weeks, and the other was knocked out face down in the water, very scary!!

With the Xenons you can ride them as tight or as loose as you want and on those wrecks that you really should come out of the bindings, you will!

I'm not giving up on the new style boots, there is some good stuff coming out that I will try, but for the time being, the Xenons rock!
Old    110outlet            10-05-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
I found the obrien Ions gave the snowboard feel, stiff and gave great control over the board. But it only had one lace so you would have to crush the toes to get tight on the ankle. The xenons have the 2 lace set up but are not as stiff but have a much better fit. Ive been riding the ultras for yrs and love the 2005, easy in and out and comfortable and allow me to poke lots. Ill be going to the closed toe Watkins for next year. So hopefully i dont pull to many cartwheels from bad closed toe landings.
Old    110outlet            10-05-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
Oh ya my suggestion if you do replace your own over lays, pay some one to do it for you, i tried to lengthen a old pair of super suctions i had and wow talk about exploding hardware. Its hard as hell to pull them as tight as you need to get them to place the screws in the right holes. There is a some much tension on Ultras as well, lots of C clamps involved.