Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-19-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
Something's up with my stereo. It will fire up when it's cool, but quickly heats up and shuts itself off. No fuses blow and no circuits trip, but the thick back aluminum piece gets super hot and it just shuts down. All the wiring behind it looks fine.

If there is a short in one of the speaker wires, can that affect the stereo in this way? How about a short in an amp?

If I don't turn the batteries off, they will eventually get drained over several days and I'll have to recharge them. I'm pretty sure this is the same issue because I never had a problem with this before.

I'm baffled. Any suggestions other than taking it to the dealer (probably about a month out)?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-20-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'll cry if you don't help me!!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Don't "bump" up a thread.

Seriously, that is a mystery. I would say there is definitely a problem with the amp unless you did some rewiring recently. Not sure if this is related to your battery problem.

Your batteries could be old and it's a coincidence. Maybe the batteries have met their life span and won't hold a charge like they used to.

But you know who you need to ask. But I don't think Grant lurks in this area.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
check your wiring. is there a subwoofer in your system? you could have your sub/speakers set up wrong and they are putting a low ohm load on your amp, which will cause it to overheat. good amps will have a 2 ohm load and cheaper ones have a 4 ohm load. sounds like this is your problem

post up the specs of your setup
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-21-2006, 12:30 AM Reply   
I don't think it's the batteries because they don't drain if I switch them off. I did just have a ton of wiring done to it and It might be related to that. In fact, they rewired just about the whole boat. The two stereo remotes weren't working when I got it back and the stereo crapped out soon thereafter.

I fooled with it a little more today and found that it shuts off whenever I put in a CD or press the Source button. Then it doesn't come on again unless I let it sit for a while. I even tried it with everything unplugged from the back except the power and ground wires and it behaved the same way. So now I'm thinking it's a bad head unit.

It's a stock Malibu setup with two amps, sub, speakers in front, rear and on the tower. I guess I'll just have to get it into the dealer the next chance I get.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
dave,

sent you a email
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
anything to do with electronics can be tricky to diagnose, you have to wrap you head around the idea of troubleshooting sometimes.

Start doing the basics, and work backwards untill you pin point the problem.

Since your amp is heating up, it can be a couple of things

-Too low an impedance on the amp from the subs/speakers connected
-Short on one of the wires causing a resistance close to 0 to appear on the amps output
-Internal issue with the amp (bad power transistors, resistors burnt or shorted

Your best bet is to start by taking all the loads off the amp and run the amp and see if it gets hot or not. If it stays on (green LED should be on) and stays on for a long time you know your amp is ok.

If your amp still gets hot and shuts down with no load on the amp at all its something internal, or external to the amp itself (shorted outputs, ground problem etc etc)

Now lets assume your amp functions fine with no load, your next thing to check is how the speakers/subs are wired. If your running 6 speakers on a 4 channel amp, most likely 2 pairs are being paralelled together and connected to the amps output. Your amp might not like running at that configuration, you have to check out the user manual for it. It would listed lowest impedance load at 4 ohm mono, 2 ohm stereo etc etc.

Your best bet is buy a multimeter if you really want to diagnose it on your own. It is one of the best investments for electronic troubleshooting.

If you have a multimeter check out what impedance you are reading on the speaker setups. You should have around 3.4-3.8 ohm for a typical 4 ohm speaker connected to the amp.

As for your batteries getting drained, how is your remote wire connected? Your remote wire comes off the deck and tells the amp to turn on/off whenever the deck is on/off. You shouldn't be draining your battery if the remote wire is connected properly. When the key is turned off in the boat, it kills the ignition and the ACC for the deck, which shuts the deck off, which also turns the amp off, so you dont forget and drain the battery.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-04-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
What head unit do you have? Mine was doing this when I had two ams on the blue "turn-on" wire from the head unit, Clarion marine, 3 series. When I routed the "turnon" wires to an aux on the dash, I have had no problems. Good Luck!!
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-09-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
instead of moving the two paralelled connections from the turn on wire to the aux on the dash, just add a relay. The remote turn on wires have low current output, around 200mA. That means no more than 2-3 devices can be run off it. If you ever do short the remote turn out and blow it, you need to get the head unit repaired, so best be safe and add a relay to the output, so you can run as many devices as you want off the relay.