Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
I'm putting a stereo in my "new" 04 MC X2 and was wondering what people thought of Clarion or Sony marine head units or maybe get a Alpine car stereo unit. I've looked at the Clarion M455. Also speakers, do they need to be marine or regular car speaker. Any opinions?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
If your planning on using a hardwired remote your choices on HU's get a lil limited. Your pretty much stuck with Kenwood, Clarion or Sony. No need to get "marine" speakers. They cost more and unless you boat in saltwater a good set of car audio 6.5 will hold up fine. Polk Momo or DB series are popular, sound really good, and are also marine certified.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-18-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
MB Quart makes a really nice marine radio. They are on sale now for about $200. Plays MP3's as well.
Old    walt            05-18-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Pioneer also makes a marine hard wired remote.

I've always had bad luck with Kenwood head units.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-18-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
That MB Quart HU is problematic. There are lots of refurbed ones on Ebay for cheap. Kenwoods aren't great, their CD mechanism skips terribly. I like my alpine, lots of features and great user interface (volume KNOB) but no wired remote. I'd look hard at Pioneer or Sony if I wanted the remote.

Has anyone seen the aftermarket universal wired remote based on the Pioneer hardware? I thought that it was going to be released soon. It was supposed to work with many brands.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Psyclone- I thought I heard Alpine was just about to release their own wired remote ? Agian this may be just a rumor but worth checking into ?
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Access technologies now makes a transom remote compatible with any H.U. with a wireless remote. It learns the signal from the IR remote . It then brodcasts the IR signal when you use it . Have to mount a small l.e.d. line of sight with the deck. Have not used one yet so I cant comment on reliability.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-18-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Hmm, I'd prefer wired but I'm gonna do it anyway. Thanks for the info, hijack complete:-)
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-19-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I really want the wired remote and an Ipod interface, Alpine doesn't show a wired remote but it is what I'd like to get. Any one have suggestions on models for the pioneer, sony, or clarion?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-19-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I went with a Sony CDX-GT705DX $180 off Fleabay. It has rear aux port for Ipod and wired remote capable plus 4v preouts. Havent installed yet but looks like a good unit.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-19-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I just upgraded to the Clarion CMD4. I really like the rotary knob controls, don't have to go through a menu to adjust things. It has RCA AUX input on the back, I picked up a Nyko stereo link cable that plugs into the port connection instead of the earphone jack. Really great sound this way. The CMD4 does not do MP3 CD's, but we ipod anyway. It also has a 3 level AUX input adjustment. It's a nice unit and I got a new one on ebay for 225 on ebay.

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
"Access technologies now makes a transom remote compatible with any H.U. with a wireless remote. It learns the signal from the IR remote . It then brodcasts the IR signal when you use it . Have to mount a small l.e.d. line of sight with the deck. Have not used one yet so I cant comment on reliability."

I did this with an Alpine on my SANTE. While it is technically a wireless remote, the remote is next to my steering wheel, and the HU is in the glove box. Push a button, and it does what it is told. I think I have pics somewhere of the setup including the little IR LED . . . .
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
HU in Glove box:
Upload

Close up of the IR LED (arrow point to it):
Upload

Remote next to steering wheel (This was while I was building it, I now have the remote in a CNC-machined aluminum piece in the factory remote location):
Upload

Poor shot of what it looks like now:
Upload
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-19-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
That's very cool, it may be the way to go for me. Thanks for the pics and info.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-19-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
One more, where did you get it? I can't find it on their website.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
PAC IR Repeater (The HU half, the remote plugs into this)
http://www.hpdistributinginc.com/hpdist/shopexd.asp?id=912

I can't find the remote link, but the website is:
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/

I didn't really have a good experience with either vendor, but they were the only folks that I could find that sold the parts. I did not look very hard though.

Good luck.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Found other sources for remote:

http://www.teptronics.com/accessories28.html

just google:
RC-1B access technologies