Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-05-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Today I listed my boat for sale.. I started boating and wake boarding in 08. Had never been on the water before that and my first time wake boarding I completely fell in love with it. Quit my job in the city in 09 and moved back to my home town to be closer to the water and bought my boat in 2010. I had absolutely no business buying this boat to begin with, had no money for a down payment and wasn’t really sure how I would actually pay for this thing but thought efff it I’m young and won’t be able to do this when I am 50 and can actually afford it so screw it I’m just going to go for it.

Not that I was doomed from the beginning but things were definitely not in my favour from the get go, I had no experience with boats or wakeboarding, none of my friends were interested in it. I had to figure everything out for myself. There are a few riders here that I knew in high school but was never really friends with, I tried ( and have been trying ) to become friends with them and have a crew to ride with but they just seem to be content with their own crew and doing things on their own. I had to teach my GF how to drive and every time I do ride its just her and I. Its really hard to push yourself and progress when its just you out there.

The area I do ride in is a bay off of lake erie and is very large in itself and unless the winds are coming from the south you can count on the water being blown out and not enjoyable to ride. It averages a depth of only 8 ft and every year it becomes overgrown with the eurasian milfoil weed. The only place to ride is in a very small and shallow part of the bay where everyone does their runs so it helps keep the weeds down. Today I finally got to get the boat out, it has been a month since it saw the water and as luck would have it the winds were in my favour and the water was flat but unfortunately it happens to be a holiday here in Canada so everyone in their 1970’s beat up run abouts were out in full force just ruining the flat water. I tried to ride for an hour but found myself just getting bombarded by rollers.

My boat is an 05 and is now at the point where things are beginning to break down and need replacing, last year it was the steering cable, this year its been ballast pumps and after a blowout I replaced all 4 trailer tires. Every year I have wanted to get some bigger ballast bags so I could get a decent wake out of it but every year something more important needs replacing. My GF just isn’t heavy enough to add to the stock ballast to throw out a really nice wake and I have had to settle with a mediocre wake every year.

Its too expensive of a hobby for a 28 year old without a really great job to have. Payments are always made but it leaves 0$ left over for things like clothes and going out and anything else really. So today, feeling defeated with all of this I listed my boat for sale. I’m not sure I really want it gone, I listed it high for that reason. If someone is willing to pay the price than its all theirs but if not I won’t be upset that it’s still around next summer.

Anyways, sorry about the long read but I thought I would share with people who have been there, or may be there themselves
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-05-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
I hear where you are coming from. I am in a similiar situation myself. I do have a small crew to ride with but getting everyone together at any given time is dang near impossible. Plus our seasonal lake site is 100 miles away...so its only weekends for us. I always have people to throw in the boat... but no one else to really share sets with. My fiance' is now getting real into boarding so im stoked about that.

Anyway... why not just downgrade boats? You really dont need an 05 to have fun. Plus it sounds like you have a small crew anyway... so why not pick up an old 2001 nautique closed bow and ride behind that? I would think you could pay cash with the equity you would get from selling your 05. you will probably get close to the same wake with the same weight from what ive been reading. Don't give up on something that you are passionate about just because you are frustrated.

It sort of sounds like you are above your budget on that 05.. so just downgrade and keep enjoying the water!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-05-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
Or just move south where more people are stoked about riding!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Hey Darrell, sucks that you decided to put your boat up for sale. I'm 28 and my wife and I both owned our boat for a grand total of 6 months. We decided that it just wasn't time yet to have one of our own. However, we still ride as often as we want (once or twice a week) due to how many friends we've made in the find a third thread here on WW. It took me a couple years to get in good with a lot of guys (a lot of last minute early morning calls, driving hours to get to other lakes, giving way more gas $, being "on call" all the time, etc.), but it's not like I gave up wakeboarding just because I didn't own a boat. I'd say if you can make it work financially, then keep it; but if you can't, no biggie. Try to seperate boat ownership and wakeboarding as two different entities. We did, and it made all the difference. Wakeboarding is not fun if you're constantly thinking how much it costs to ride. And if it's not fun, then what's the point?
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-05-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
They say the two happiest days of a man's life: the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it. I'm not sure I can relate, since I am not in the same situation. Fortunately I have a crew that I ride with, and most of us have wake boats so we just take turns on each boat. And I have an 8 month old son that I can't wait to introduce to wakeboarding. So I doubt we'll ever part with our boat.

Keep in mind it's the riding and the lifestyle that the boat allows us to have that we enjoy, not the boat itself. You can find other ways to enjoy that same feeling. Find a hobby that you and your significant other can really get into and run with it. If you do sell your boat, use that extra money for a snow trip or a surf trip. See new places and learn new things. Don't let this be the end of anything, just the beginning of something else.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-05-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Wrong attitude, 2005 launch 21v doesn't make a good enough wake with stock ballast. The rough water can hold you back but that wake wont! Probably better off selling, I could never own a boat I didn't use
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-06-2013, 12:44 AM Reply   
Been thinking about this topic recently for friends who want to get a boat, but live near crappy water or only go camping a few times a year. Why not over the winter save up that payment money and spend a week at a good wakeboarding school/camp somewhere. Or go camping at a lake and rent a boat for the weekend. Seems a lot cheap then the 5000K in payments your probably shells out per year.

Or use the the thirds section here and first time out at the end give them $50 for gas, etc. The boat owner won't know what to do with that kind of cash, as most go with $20, and you're sure to get more invites. We've got a friend who barely uses his boat for regular riding now as $20 each week is still alot cheaper then towing and filling his boat.

If you keep your boat do plan an easy $1000 a year in maintenance and repairs. I do a tune up every year ($150), 2-3 oil changes ($100), cleaning products ($50), ballast impellers ($75) and then just this year new PP gauge, stereo connectors and rca's (popping sound), at about (450). It never fails things add up quick.

I've owned boats since before I was 28, but we ride most every weekend and i have a decent crew that don't have anything better to do Sundays. If we weren't making over a 100K, I'd be hard press to find a good excuses to keep our newer fancy boat, instead I'd be looking at early 2000 mastercraft 205 hulls to sack out.

Good Luck,
Dc
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2013, 4:54 AM Reply   
some of the best days i have ever had on the water where just with me and my wife. so you dont always need a big crew to ride with
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2013, 4:54 AM Reply   
as far as getting rid of it....i would cut cost elsewhere and use it more
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-06-2013, 5:07 AM Reply   
I've got to go with Jordan on this one. The OP said right of that he has no business owning the boat. So clean it up and sell. The take cash and get a solid CC2001 with a good acme and some sacks. Find a couple people to join plus your girl, and have tons of fun times! Do dawn patrol(6am) and roll after work. Inland water is calmer at these times and no one but the fisherman, who sit in one place, are on the water. I have a super budget boat, that we have 30hrs on so far this season, and I live on a shallow lake that is almost always choppy. We've rolled at 6am and often at 6pm and only once have we not been able to board.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-06-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Where do you live on erie?
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-06-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
Alot of good ideas here. I suppose I have a tendency to look at things as black and white. In my mind I thought if I sell the boat than that's the end of wake boarding for me. Down sizing may be just what I need. Part of me probably bought a boat I couldn't really afford due to vanity issues and keeping up with the joneses. After reading what Jordan said I started looking at older nautiques, something I should have done in the beginning I guess bc a mid 90's super sport is looking very appealing right now and may be a better fit in my life. Thanks for the advice guys, I was kinda hesitant to post this but am now glad that I did.
And Jon0, I live near chatham kent ontario and ride in roundeau bay.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
I completely agree with John and Jeremiah on those points. Either get a lot cheaper boat that you can afford and maintain or get friends with someone who has one. Hell I've even seen people go in halfs on a boat.
Also around here, it's rare to see people get up early as all hell with it overcast, cloudy, and a nip in the air to get the morning glass. But we do it all the time and love it. There has not been a time we haven't been able to ride due to conditions in the early morning, most of the time in the evening hours before the sun goes down it is pretty good too.
Also from your post you have one good thing going for you,
"My GF just isn’t heavy enough to add to the stock ballast to throw out a really nice wake and I have had to settle with a mediocre wake every year."
Most people would't complain, but I guess us with a wake addiction are a little different lol.
Old     (halifaxwakerider)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-11-2013, 5:01 AM Reply   
Really good post man.. Im glad you decided to stick it out.. Im the same age as you and all we can afford is a 50hp motor behind our boat but I make due with what I have! Being 5''10 and 150lbs it actually works suprisingly well for me, I get up with no problem, I just wish I could get more wake and air from the wake. I usually ride at 24mph to get the best results but now that Im getting more experienced Im wating to go bigger and bigger!! We also have 2.0 system wake park out here. I have lots of friends on the east coast of canada but no wake riders.. I need to find some haha.. I posted on here looking but no prevail! Keep on truckin man, Im hoping to upgrade the motor on this boat soon, I would gladly throw $50 at anyone who would take me out on a serious boat for a day.