Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Hey all I have a question:

My boat is set up with one main starter battery and one blue top. Stinger switch between the two. When boat is off key to the left should operate the stereo on Blue top only, didn't work this weekend but always has before.

When I go home the blue top was very hot. Is it just shot (4+ years old) and need to be replaced.

Thanks for any help, I know very little about this, thus why I paid someone else to install it, they are now closed.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-01-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
What kind of switch is the stinger? Do you have a link or a name of the product?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-01-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Is it the Stinger ignition-triggered solenoid?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
David/Brett--I will have to look (its in storage) but sounds like the ignition triggered solenoid.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-01-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
David, is the solenoid he thinks it is the type that combines the batteries once there is a 12v source(ignition) coming into it? Is it like this thing?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

If it isn't disconnecting than I am guessing it has gone bad due to low voltage stress. The contacts probably welded themselves together. That solenoid is just a White Rogers Continues Duty solenoid.

As for the batteries you can get a better Deka, with a higher reserve capacity for cheaper than an Optima and it would still be an AGM dry cell battery.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-01-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Brett,
That's my guess.

Ha! Tried to enlist your assistance in the Kinetik thread below but I referred to you as Bill?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
Yes that's it. So replace the solonoid and battery?

Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-01-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
You can. I personally think you would be better off with something as simple as a Perko battery selector switch and/or an some sort of voltage sensitive relay.

How old and what kind of battery is your starting battery?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
The starter bat is new. However I did leave the key on and drained it. Then charged it up at Les scwhab while enroute to the lake for a week.

Could that have contributed to the prob?

I was thinking of a perko. That way I can also go all off preventing the above issue.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-02-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
It might have contributed to the problem. Generally it is nice to use all the same type of batteries if they are ever going to be charged at the same time from the same source but I don't think it is as big of a deal as others as long as the batteries don't have completely different charge characterstics. A deka Deep Cycle group 27 or 31 would be a good inexpensive option for the stereo side of things. If you want to spend a little more go with a Deka AGM Seamate group 27 or 31. The other option is to get the same battery as your starting battery but at that point it might not be the best option for being cycled down. If your current starting battery is a dual purpose battery it may be ok.

If you go to a Perko there are a couple of options on how you can wire it. Normally you would have your main positive cable from the starter go to the common terminal and then one cable to each battery. Then you would wire ALL your stereo equipment through a bus bar off the common stud on the back of the perko.

The other option is to wire all the stereo equipment straight off the new deep cycle battery you get.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett-

I will have to work on it. But for simplicity sake if I put in exactly what I had (new blue top or equivilant and new solenoid) I should be good to go??

In the mean time the boat and stereo work fine on the main battery, is there any risk involved or should I replace before the next use?

I appreciate the help!!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-02-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
Thanks Brett-

I will have to work on it. But for simplicity sake if I put in exactly what I had (new blue top or equivilant and new solenoid) I should be good to go??

In the mean time the boat and stereo work fine on the main battery, is there any risk involved or should I replace before the next use?

I appreciate the help!!!!
That should fix the problem. That being said, without looking at your setup and testing it myself I have no way for sure of telling you that the solenoid is the problem. You can probably pull it out and take it to a auto parts store to have it checked out. Hell, it is easy to check yourself if you have a couple jumper wires. All you have to do is put a positive cable to one side of the solenoid on the large stud, put a ground wire to one of the small studs(generally doesn't matter which one) and put a 12v source to the other small terminal. If it is working you can here the contacts connecting and disconnecting.

I wouldn't sit in a cove jamming the stereo. If you are driving around and listening you should be ok unless you have a rather large stereo with multiple amps.

Last edited by polarbill; 09-02-2010 at 1:24 PM.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Thanks!

No I don't really sit in a cove, just one extra battery to be safe.

PS grew up in the PNW on Mercer Island!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-02-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Mercer Island would be a pretty crappy place to grow up.