Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Mike Armstrong of Calibrated and I were given the chance to see what kind of wakesurf boat the new Sanger V237 could be. In a word impressive. We had three of the top 6 riders at the Worlds on the boat helping test.
My desire in a wakesurf boat is that all the ballast must be hidden. I think that to truly enjoy your day on the water you shouldn't have to sit on top of Fat sacs. I also think that for the general public the boat should produce a clean wake at speeds below 11 mph. It is not easy to learn at fast speeds. The last of my standards is safety. I want the boat when weighted to not take rollers over the back and have decent drivability. On my V215 I worry about taking water over the transom so i don't put as much weight in when it is crowded on the water. The boat should also be able to produce a comparable wake on either side just by switching ballast.

Th V237 fulfilled all of these standards. We were able to keep all the ballast in the rear locker and in the front stock ballast. The seating area was clear of any ballast but riders. We surfed at 10.5 mph. I think we could have gone a little slower and faster if desired. The Delta was somewhat crowded but there was never any worry about taking on water. The boat passed my standards with flying colors.

We started by weighting the goofy side. On my V215 I place 500 lbs of lead under a sack on the goofy side and fill the front stock ballast and the side stock ballast. We did the same thing except we had 600 lbs of lead under the sack. We filled the sack with about 300 lbs of water. This proved to be to much weight so we emptied some. This proved to be the setup we used for all the goofy riders. Pictures below:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
The regular side we weighted the same. This also proved to be a good combination. The only issue was when Mike was driving the face was not as clean as we would have liked. The riders didn't seem to mind. See pictures:
When Mike rode and the driver was lighter the face cleaned right up. See pictures:

Overall I think that the V237 will be a great boat for all levels of riders. We will be able to use the V237 in contests as the wake is well within the guidelines set by AWSA for wakesurfing contests.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       05-01-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hi Dennnis,
Any pictures of the new boat and a picture of the storage area with the sacks.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-01-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
Hey Karen,
We were in such a hurry because some riders had to be off the water that I never took those kind of pictures. I can tell you that the storage compartment with the stock hard tanks is 14 x 17 x 36 o the goofy side and 14 x 17 x 42 on the regular side. Looks like max water in the goofy side would be about 300 lbs and 350 on the regular side. There is room for an Enzo style sac which would add 100 lbs on the goofy side and 180 on the regular side. i think without the hard tanks the sac would be 20 x 21 x 36 on the goofy side and 20 x 21 x 42 on the regular side. I am guessing on these numbers without the hard tanks.
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Here is a scrappy clip of our session on the 237. Check out chase riding the Matang Short Bus, nose-riding is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVlZZ7QZus
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
that looks like my dad's dream board. The 1st board is the one that interests me though. Are these new prototypes? They look fun

Also I like that both wakes look good and fairly balanced.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Nice looking video Mike,is that brackish water or just the color? Hi Surfdad I guess that is your son on the james surfing video?
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
wardo,
Yeah, the wake is super clean on both sides with a long pocket and a dark poppy lip.

Karen,
That's just the color of the Delta. The riders are Austin Day, Ryan Fair, and Chase Hazen.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
that IMO is the most important criteria for a good wakesurf boat. Something everyone in the crew will enjoy equally without an absurd amount of work. It can be a bummer being goofy sometimes watching how effortless the other side has it.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Great video Mike and nice riding by Austin, Ryan and Chase.

Boat looks to be a good option -- nice write up Dennis.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-02-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
To show how much push the wake had here are pictures of me riding Austin Day's new 4'7" board.

Upload
Upload

How about nose riding the Calibrated Small Bus at 5'2"

Upload
Old     (austinday)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
wardovision (caskimmer),

The first board is a new one we drew up its actually 4'5 twin fin rides awsome
Old    surfdad            05-17-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
We got to ride today! Capitol Watersports participated in the Boat Show at Folsom lake and graciously allowed Dennis and my family to surf the 237. The water was a bit choppy, but a good ride.

Some pictures. First up is Scott Pellaton

Back in November 1989, in Arizona, Scott set a record that to this day nobody has even come close to matching. It was the World Record in Speed Barefooting. Scott stepped off a ski behind a drag boat at about 50 mph, then accelerated to 135.74 mph in only a 1/4 mile distance, in less than 4 seconds.

Scott is the National Sales Director for Sanger:

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-17-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
I thought this was a cool feature on the 237. The middle of the sundeck has a seat that slides out so you can put your wakeboard on. Under the seat is another cooler.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-17-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
It was pretty tough riding with rollers everywhere, but a decent wake.

Upload

Judy make the wake look huge :-)

Upload