Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-07-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
Happy March - It was a great weekend (3/5-6) weather wise. No wakeboarding, but I did get the boat out and washed, waxed, conditioned vinyl, organized gear, etc, etc. The season is getting closer with each longer day.

Let me know who's on the board from the KC area. We take our 2003 X-2 (Lime Green, can't miss it) to Hillsdale pretty regularly and do Pomme de Terre and Table Rock whenever we can squeeze a long weekend in.
Old     (earl)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Just to let everyone know in the kc area the cable park will be open the first weekend in april. buy a 3 day pass for 35 dollars. you can't beat that. so if your boat is still in storage or the lake is blown out visit us. our water stays pretty calm compared to hillsdale or even clinton.
www.kcwatersports.com
Old    ervin            03-07-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
My neighbor and I broke out the X-Star and went to Melvern Lake on Sunday to board and skate. Water temp was around 49 degrees and wind was blowing 30 mph out of the west. Not exactly ideal conditions, but for 70 degree weather in March you have to expect a strong south wind. It's a good thing that we found a cove surrounded by bluffs and trees.

I picked up two free tickets to the Cable Park when I purchased my wakeskate at the Overland Park Boat Show. Looking forward to my first ride via the cable in April.
Old     (earl)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
must of got it from sitzmark good choice!
hope to see you out there
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Weather was nice this last weekend. I didn't get out because of work, but hopefully it won't be long.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       03-08-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
nice to hear some one got out on the water. i won't have my boat out until early april (can't wait), but would like to hook up with some other local riders this season....

that's a good looking boat randy.
Old    ervin            03-09-2005, 4:57 AM Reply   
70 degrees on Sunday, 30 degrees and snow fluries on Wednesday. Gotta love KS weather!
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-09-2005, 6:02 AM Reply   
Eric – True that… We talked about getting the boat out this week till the temp went from 60’s to the 20 and I woke up with snow on the ground this morning. Cabin fever is getting to me bad. My Pre-Pop DVD is about worn out. With our weather it will be late April/early May before we hit the Ozarks & Smithville.
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-09-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
I can't wait to get the boat out, either. But I'm still afraid that it's going to get below freezing one more time. Gotta love that crazy Kansas weather - 70 one day, snowing the next...
Guess I'll visit the cable park a few times until the weather warms up. Fair weather friends don't like to go boarding this early.
Old    kcw            03-09-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
come to the cable park. pomme de terre is awesome, we have the yellow x-star

(Message edited by kcw on March 09, 2005)
Old    naylz            03-10-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
I think I have seen all of you at Pomme. We try to get donw ther about once a month. We also hit Smithville during the week.

We were riding at the begining of May last year. I am hoping to hit the water even sooner this year. Red/white Malibu Sensetter LXI
Old    hyperchick05            03-10-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
nice to see all the kc riders even though i'm down in wichita now. i'm looking for a bunch of guys to ride with. i wish i wasn't always the only girl though!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 12:08 AM Reply   
Jennifer, like I said in my e-mail, I know a couple of girls that ride, and one is even from Wichita. I'm sure you'll be able to find more than enough riders this summer.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2005, 4:39 AM Reply   
I'm really happy to see the KC community come out in force. Jennifer, my 17 year old daughter loves to ride and we would be happy to hook up with you sometime. Do you ever make it up to the KC area?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
Mike – I’ve seen you guys riding at Smithville a few times, even trying to ride the main channel. Next time I will flag you down to say “hello”. I just hope it’s sooner than May before we get a chance.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
i hope to be hitting smithville in my black and tan malibu by mid april. would like to say "hello" to some other riders out there too, so i'll do some flagging down if i see you guys.

what color boat are you in jamie?
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-11-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
Jennifer,
I am in Wichita and ride year round. Wife rides when she can. She knows what you mean about being the only woman. Always looking to take other people out. Let me know when you can go. Looks like we won't be breaking any more ice this year.
Old    hyperchick05            03-11-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
cool! i will definately keep in touch with y'all this season!
nick, i will give you a call soon.
randy, i usually make it up to kc at least once a month if not more.
airfreak, i would love to hit the water with you and your wife! that would rock to have another chick to ride with.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
Pretty good showing here, but where are all the regulars like Veit, Riffle, and Logan? I think Logan is MIA again. Good to see a lot of new additions to the KC crew on Wakeworld.

Eric, are you Jess' brother?
Old     (michael_riffle)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-12-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I have been really busy with traveling and this week the big 12. My company in my real job is a major sponsor of the tournament. I have watched way to much basketball this week. Looking forward to seeing you all this summer. Take care.

Mike Riffle
Kansas INT
Midwest District coordinator
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Mike, don't work to hard. Call me if you want to get out on the lake or if you ever have time to get out on the lake.
Old     (michael_riffle)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
Hey Nick,

Thanks for the invite. Things should slow down in the next few weeks. I might just take you up on your invite. Need to shed a few traveling pounds in the gym though. Hope all is well with the Heckersons. Take care.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
Everything is good. Just trying to find a new job to free up the weekends and evenings to get on the water. Probably going out next week sometime. I'll give you guys a call.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
I'm here just hanging out on the fringe. I'm boatless right now, plus it's 40 freakin' degrees out. I'm ready to go but I'm a cold water wuss!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
You getting an '05 Phil? I don't really like the cold water either, but I'm getting the bug. It was cold washing my truck this morning, so I can only imagine the water.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2005, 9:38 AM Reply   
Dewinterized the boat on Saturday, but then the wind picked up and never made it out... I'm ready to go at a moments notice though, but I see snow in the forecast all week. COME ON KANSAS WEATHER, give us a break here!

Anyone got some Kansas Water temps?

Phil - What's up bud?
Logan - Breaker breaker 1--9, Logan you out there?
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
The '05 should be here sometime in April, not exactly sure when in April though. Jeff may have his, I cant wait to see it, it sounds awesome.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Hey Brad, whats goin' on? I found out a funny thing this winter, one of your fraternity bros works for me.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'm going to pick up the Centurion this afternoon so I can get a good wax on it tomorrow and get the thing ready to go.

Brad,
Clinton - 44F
Hillsdale - 46F
Lake of the Ozarks - 45F
Melvern - 44F
Perry - 44F
Pomona - 45F
Smithville - 37F
Table Rock - 51F
Tuttle Creek - 35F

Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
Yup, I put a second coat of wax on this weekend and did the dewinterizing thing. What date do you guys typically get in the drink? I'm thinking I'm gonna need a drysuit if it's anytime this side of May 1. The warm weather can't come soon enough. This is the time of year when all I can de related to Wakeboarding is buy new gear, and buy new gear, and buy new gear...

I'm really happy to see such an active KC group - looking forward to hooking up with you all this year.

RS
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Nick, where did you find those lake temps at?

I was thinking about dewinterizing my nautique, but the weather keeps jumping up and down. What does everyone do if we hit some cold nights?
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
I open the vents a little into the garage - keeps it just about 55 degrees.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Jason, just go to the US Corp of Engineers site, Kansas City District. I just did a search for Corp of Engineers, KC District. It had all the local lakes. I had to look at a fishing website for the LOTO and Table Rock temps.

Randy, I usually hit the lake late February, early March. This is actually a little late for me, though if I am not on the lake by Spring Break I'm usually a little ticked.

I just pull the 4 engine block plugs on the Centurion if it gets cold. The thing to watch out for is the heater core if you have a heater. I had the core freeze one year. It's an unwelcome surprise when all that water starts pumping into the boat from the heater. I would say it would have to get into the teens, low 20s to worry if the boat is inside, even if the garage is not heated.
Old    hyperchick05            03-14-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
All right y'all, now I'm getting really excited about getting together with ya during the summer! I'm goin' to pick up my new gear this weekend sometime. Maybe I'll pick up a dry suit since the water temps are in the 40's.
Old    ervin            03-15-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
Nick, Jess is my sister. I thought I recognized your name. She is out in Charlotte with her job. She's been meeting new friends trying to get a hook-up for the ski-season.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-15-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, I knew she was out in Charlotte. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to ski with out there.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-15-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Nick, I need to look up your old roomy and see if he still want's to get out. Got busy last summer.

I keep the boat in my attached garage. The coldest it ever got was 38F inside. The best time to ride is the winter; less wind, the entire lake to yourself, no jetskis, etc. Sometimes I had to break up the ice but haven't missed a month yet. Missed the past week due to wind. hopeing to get out afterwork this week if I can find a driver.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
I so wanted to hit the lake yesterday, but the air was still a bit too cold... PLEASE DON'T SNOW...

Eric - Tell Jess I said hello! I hope her new job is going well!

Phil - I think I remember hearing one of them say that, but who is it?

As far as worrying about cold temps at night, my boat is in the garage but I put a small ceramic space heater in the bilge and just leave it on with the clamshell closed. It stays about 80 degrees in there! No worries.

We should all do a day at Hillsdale soon to blow the cobwebs out! We did it a few years ago, everyone came out, rode a little, we threw in a slalom course, then bbq'ed in one of the picnic areas... Then someone got the great idea to go out surfing at night (VERY COLD, but FUN!)...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-15-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
I'm sure Josh would be down to get out with you anytime. He is used to the cold water from skiing at K-State.

Hillsdale was a lot of fun a couple years ago. We had about 6 different boats out there. Josh and I ended up leaving after the BBQ for Wichita and missed out on the night surfing. I'm in for any night surfing this time.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hey where's Ostermeyer? He's an early season bird?!?

Calling Matt Ostermeyer! Come in Matt... You up for a little Hillsdale outing soon on a nice Sat/Sun?

Riffle?
Old    logan_adams            03-15-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
I'M HERE!!!!!!!!!!! sorry guys, I've apparently been MIA. I am so ready for this season, I have a boat again and its going in about a week. Yea, the Hillsdale thing was fun and needs to be scheduled for this year. Can't wait to see all you guys again, your the only kinda people that understand the obsession with starting early! hahaha
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
HE'S ALLLIIIIIVVVVEEEEE! Logan LIVES! I thought you were dead man! What kind of boat did you buy?

Old    hyperchick05            03-15-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
Looks like the weather is gonna suck for spring break around here. It's supposed to be in the 50's with a chance for showers.
Anyone up for a road trip to Table Rock?
Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-15-2005, 11:41 PM Reply   
It's good to see so many area riders on here. I have been itching to get my boat out, if the weather would ever stabilize i'll be on the water. We ride almost every weeknight during the summer around Lawrence.

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-16-2005, 12:12 AM Reply   
50s, that is a heatwave. I can't afford to pull the boat to Table Rock!

Old    hyperchick05            03-16-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ross, I'm gonna have to make it up to Lawrence on the weeknights I'm not working to hit the lake with you guys!
Nick, I'll pay for the gas! Come on bro, live a little!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-16-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
So who wants to go out Monday, 3/21 depending on the weather? Hillsdale??
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Nick, where's Hillsdale? Anyone coming down to Wichita? Kid's are off school so I hope to find a day or two with no wind. Maybe I should plan a trip to Table Rock.

Jenn, Name the day and we can hit Eldorado lake after work. I can even flex my schedule and get out early. Not much wind and above 32F, I willing to ride.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
How's about this Sunday? Anyone game on at Hillsdale? Its suppose to be 58 degrees!

Nick I'll go Monday too, but it might be raining!

As for Table Rock, lets GO! I'm thinking next weekend!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Ken - By the way hows it going buddy? Are you going to make some INT's this summer?
Old    hyperchick05            03-16-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'm up for Hillsdale on Monday! However, Matt is trying to convince me to go down to Texas with him and his friends to hit warmer waters. I might just take him up on it if I can get off from working on Sunday.
See, I mention Table Rock and everyone goes nuts!
Airfreak, do you ski Go Lake very often? I heard it's a private lake and you have to know someone who is a member or something to go out there?
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
Brad, I hope to make it this year. Kids other sports and work really cut into my riding last year.
Never been to any of the Missouri lakes since I have had a boat. Need to find out the spots to go ride and camp. I afraid if I ride there, I'll never want to ride in these mud pits again.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
Jenn, You are correct, it is private. I have skied on it during the INT competions and when I have been invited. Skyskied during the winter there with a few others a few years ago. Summer time everyone who is a member is there after work so you have to wait turns. Go lake is good for one rider at a time, maybe two. I can get to Winfield lake from my house almost as fast as GoLake, and after work you still can have most of the lake to yourself and its WAY bigger. Weekends can be bad though late afternoons.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Man you fair weather fools :-)
Here are some shots from January riding. Yes that is ice behind my kid. He wanted to ride through patches that were floating when the wind changed. Of coarse that was after he say me jumping them on the skyski. Problem with ice around the boat ramp, it gets between the trailer and the boat.

Old    hyperchick05            03-16-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
You are nuts. I don't care what kind of a suit you have, there is no way in hell I would go anywhere near the water when it's that cold out!
I'm a puss when it comes to cold.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
I can be at Hillsdale on Monday after 4pm...
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       03-17-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
i'll be at loto this weekend but won't have the wakesetter out yet. will probably do some wakeskating behind the i/o though. i can't make hillsdale monday, but hope to meet some of you out there later this spring. glad to see all the posts.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
So who's in for Sunday or Monday at Hillsdale at this point? I think Nick and I might be getting some time in there Monday afternoon around 3-4pm... weather dependant of course!

Anyone else like the sound of that? I'm thinking I might bring some charcoal and grill a few burgers afterwards in the picnuc shelter... Bring your own Beer and Burgers of course! But I'll bring charcoal!
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
sup kc just checkin if we got any lake of the ozark riders and where ur all at (on the lake i mean) im at the 7 mile marker in the gravios arm we just got a 210 air natuique so if anyone is ready to ride hit me up
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-18-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
just you and me it looks like Beach.
Old     (bc3)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-19-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Hey all-- Haven't been on WW for a while. Saw the KC post, good work. First time out this yr was Feb 26, water 43 air 59, (just barely made the 100 degree rule) Might be out at Hillsdale tomorrow (Sunday), supposed to rain Mon. and winds should be from the SE tomorrow. Maybe see ya out there. Oh yea, the cable's gonna be sick this year. See ya April 1,2,3 Earl and Carter. Late-
Old     (earl)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Brandon if you go out tommorow give jason a call he's down. i would to but carter and i are trying to finish off the new flatbar along w/some other things at the park.
we're looking forward to the first of april!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Ended up at the last minute today hitting up another Kansas Lake, water temp 55.1 degrees... Not too bad, although the wind wasn't the greatest.

Monday might be off if it rains like its suppose to ya'll! It suppose to rain all week according to weather.com - and that sucks!
Old    hyperchick05            03-20-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
Alright, Brad rub it in. Did y'all have fun today out at the lake? I'm sure y'all made the 100 degree rule today. Which lake did you end up going to? Did Nick go with you?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
I had to work all day. They went to Meola.
Old    naylz            03-21-2005, 5:32 AM Reply   
We usually ride Pomme and Smithville. I can't help but notice a lot of talk about Hillsdale... Is it riding conditions or location that makes this H2O track so popular?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
Actually Mike then lake isn't that great at all, but it just happens that we all live close to it and early in the season we sometimes congregate there to get our feet wet.

There is a lot less wind than Smithville though...

Yes Jenn the lake was fun! A touch on the windy side, but there was still good water and the boat ran well! What more could you ask for in your first outing of the season!!?

I've got a feeling this week is going to be a whole lotta rain...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Yeah, definately nothing special about Hillsdale. It's a big round pond with a lot of trees left in the lake for the fishermen, but it does the job being so close to Olathe. The cable park is also close to Hillsdale if that is your thing.
Old    hyperchick05            03-21-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hey, that's awesome you had fun on Sunday! I have some friends that swore by Smithville. They used to go out there all the time!
Brad, let me know when you're ready to hit Table Rock and I'm all for it.
What do y'all think about taking a trip to the Texas Ski Ranch in May for their Cablestock get together? I was lookin' at it for a little weekend trip. It's supposed to be a great time!
Old    naylz            03-21-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Jen, I think I may one of your friends that swore by smithville.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
Smithville is a mess.

Texas Ski Ranch is a lot of fun. I've ridden there twice.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
I got an e-mail concerning my cable park post. It was in no way a negative post toward KC Watersports as I guess it was taken. I just don't wakeboard much and I work about 50-60 hours a week, so the time I go hit the water is usually behind a boat in a 3-event setting. I think KC Watersports is a great asset to the KC community. I hope the majority of the people on this board took it the way I meant it.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hey, anybody want to go back out to Hillsdale tonight? It might me fun in the snow... Yes snow. Gotta love March in KC.

RS
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
I've got a killer headache, and I've still got 2 hours left of work... Otherwise I'd be in! Never been out in the snow before! I bet that lime green X2 would stand out in a whitewash! Not to mention I bet the lake isn't too busy tonight!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Take pics if you go! Aw heck with it, whats your number and maybe I'll call u when I get off work!
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
OK, I guess I didn't put quite enough synisism in my note. Trust me - THERE IS NO WAY YOU'D GET ME OUT THERE UNTIL TAX-DAY AT THE EARLIEST. You guys are WAY more serious than this fair weather fan. You guys even take my lame attempts at making a joke serious!!!

I'm way out of your league.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
I wanted to go today, the snow kept the wind down and the temps were in the high 30s, I don't think it would have been too bad. Wish everyone would not have been working today.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Randy I thought you were serious buddy!

It probably wouldn't have been that bad. The water temp was warm and the air temp wasn't even below 40... The lake would have been empty too! We would have had it all to ourselves... Sack up man, there's good water before May ya know!

Nick - Sorry I have to work...
Old    xstarkc1            03-23-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
It is awesome to see so many from KC area! I'm sure I have seen a few of you at Hillsdale. I'm looking forward to getting back on the water. It would be great to get some boarding tips from anyone of you. I'm not very good but I'm better than anyone I boat with, I've been trying to land an invert for a couple years and am getting tired of coming close. The people I boat with do try to be helpful but I can't watch what they are doing because they won't even try one. Besides, it is hard to take pointers from someone who is laughing their a$$ off at your most recent wipe out. Let me know when you going out I will try to hook up.
Brian, Red metal flake XStar.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-23-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Brian, I think I passed you on K-10 last summer. Nice boat. I think you bought it at the boat show when I was working at the Xtreme booth.