Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-16-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
I need some help landing my HS 180's, I can get the rotation but I always slide out on my landings. I never over rotate, it seems like I landed it then the board just slides forward and I fall on my butt.
Any help would be great.
Old                09-16-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
when you land, try and ride to the shore. don't look at the boat, look to the shore on the side your landing on and that should really help you not slip out.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-16-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Amake sure to get your upper body over your toes when coming down.
If your sliding out that means too much weght on the heel side
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-16-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I'm going out on Sunday, I'll try all that.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'm hitting HS 180s off the wake & my landings slide out too. Some comments from other riders have been, I'm poping out too high, my switchstance riding isnt good enough to continue, & also too much weight on my heels, it makes sence that your weight needs to shifted to you toe side, any more suggestions? I'm open
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old                09-17-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
I'm currently working on landing mine, and I am running into the same problems. (Sliding out mostly) I think my biggest issue is that my switch riding basically sucks, and the rope goes way slack when I start my rotation... I think I did manage to land this one however...
Upload
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
marc, try coming off the wake with both hands on the handle. At the peak of your jump, drop your front hand and pull the handle to your rear hip and look for the shore. Put the handle just behind you. A good way to visualize it is to try to put the handle in your back pocket. In the first two pictures you're looking down, try to look for the shore. As a general rule, you look down, you go down. The third picture is where youd want to put the handle "in your back pocket", not out in front of you (otherwise it looks like a good landing). Fourth picture it looks like your looking at the boat, try to look for the shore at that point still. Good luck, it looks real close!
Tobin, it looks like you're leaning way back, towards the wake you came off of. Most likely spinning early. All spins go pop, pull, pass. With 180s, just pop, pull.
Another thing that MAY help would be to try to grab mute, front hand inbetween feet toeside edge,(even if you dont really grab, it may still help) this should make you get weight on your toes for landing. Best of luck.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
thanks for the help, makes sense that you look down, you go down. I have heard alot about looking towards the shore, or off in the distance. Theres just so much to remember, & so little time to put it all together. damn beer killing braing cells!!
Old     (davo00)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-19-2006, 4:18 AM Reply   
You're looking at the water.
Look down - fall down.

You gotta look out at the shore towards which you are going.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-19-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-21-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Marc--what patrick said was good, I'll add that I notice that you are actually landing on your heelside edge when you should be on your toeside edge riding away. The trick does not end when you land, rather when you have landed and edged out into the flats. Try to over rotate the 180. Good luck
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
Maybe over rotating just a tad. Looking at the shore will help with that also.
Old                09-21-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
just remember when you land think toeside toeside toeside, and you'll get it.
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
I have the same problem about half the time I do my hsfs. With me I think its just a mental block, just depends on who is in the boat watching. lol. I'm not going to fall if I'm trying to impress.

Here is a sequence of me slipping out the other night.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-25-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Nice Dustin looks like every single one of my 180 attempts.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-25-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
ride switch more. then you'll be comfy leaning over your TS edge and continuing out into the flats.

Marc and Dustin: if you look at your board after you land, you're on your heel edge. That causes your board to bounce and slip out. RIDE SWITCH
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
nacho,

I'll give it some more tries today. Yesterday I stomped a huge one first try into the flats. But I didn't get the second. So pretty much mental block and the whole ride switch more.

Thanx
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Dustin, notice in the third pic you've just touched the water, but the board is headed toward the boat, try to get more rotation. Try to point the tip just away from the travel of the boat, towards the shore. Also your hips and shoulders are way out over your heel edge, they should be out over your toe edge. nacho's right, riding switch more will help so much.
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
So I went out today and I still only landed half of them, but the ones that I didn't land I wasn't slipping out anymore. I fell out in front. Any ideas on how to stop that. I think some of it had to do with the boat tugging a little.

BTW: Thanx for the advice I put it to good use.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Best way for me was to over exaggerate keeping the handle in tight. Instead of coming in at your normal arm length, bring it in tight. Keep the handle in close to your body, closer than normal. When you pop, the handle will be easier to pull because it's right there. After you pop, pull the handle and pretend you are putting it into your back pocket and look at the shore. If I kept my arms at the normal length when doing a basic jump, my arms would be too far out to pull the handle to my back pocket. In the pictures above, everyone has their arm too far out.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
Well thanks for all the input, I went out 2 days in a row, last weekend butterslid into switch & road it as many times as I could. hit a few HS jumps, then made up my mind I was going to stick it, I looked down right before I approached the wake, looked towards the boat, & pulled it off several times that & the next day. switch riding took some concentration & switching weight, but should get easier the more I try. I may try pulling a 360 to avoid landing switch haha.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-28-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
Just to add a note that helped me 3 years ago when I was learning them, Thane Dogg told me to imagine slamming the handle 'sideways' (having rotated it 90 degrees) into an imaginary holster on my 'new' lead hip. I never got the "put it in your pocket" tip, so they are probably the same, but the first time when I physically slammed the handle into the holster, I stuck the trick. It never fails me now.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
thanks for the input everybody
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
I tell alot of friends to have thier palms face down or to the boat(upon landing). This will cause your shoulder to roll forward shifting your wieght from your heels to your toes.You can practice this on land to get the feel of it. with your hand in this position you can land with the rope out(not recomended). The trick to 180s is to spin late keep the handle in close on take off.
good luck

(Message edited by whitie on October 06, 2006)
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
Dustin every thing looks good until the landing. Turn the handle down and edge away.
Old     (daz32)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-05-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
the way i do hs fs 180 is to do the 180 on the way down and put the handle in you front pocket or as if your going to nail it to the nose of the board on your toe side. give it a go ,works straight away for me
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-06-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I think it is easier to learn this trick going inside out first. You don't need to pop hard because you have the height of the wake. The thing I notice with all the "slipping pictures" are three things:

1. Handle is to far from your body. Take off in good position...pop...drop the front hand and put the handle on your "new front" hip.

2. Under rotation...almost every shot of a landing is with the board pointing down the same line the boat is travelling. This is not right.

3. Landing on the flat spot and not on TS edge. Done correctly you should land and be edging away from the boat. This is helped if you rotate all the way and try to get both hands on the handle.

The HSFS 180 is harder than the TSFS since in that trick you are sort of wrapped and don't have to worry much about the rotation. The HS you actually have to work a little at the rotation...but this is mostly done by handle movement.