Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    whirly            06-22-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
I was wondering where the greasing things for the '01 X-Star are. I am getting really stiff steering all of a sudden this year.
Old    sandman            06-23-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
My buddy has an "01 X9 and his steering has all of a sudden become really stiff this year as well. I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks so I don't know if he got it fixed. I'm not familiar with Mastercrafts steering setup so I can't really help you out. Please let me know if you find a fix however.
Old    barryb            06-23-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
If the steering problem is the cable, there's not a grease fitting. You'll need to replace the cable or try some of the home-brew remedies, such as installing a grease fitting or attempting to use a motorcycle cable greaser.

Early problems with the steering cable are a sign that the cable fittings are being washed in water. If you want your steering cables to last, you will have to figure out why it's getting bathed and fix it.

Some boats, such as the Tige 21V, have a chronic problem with this. Water pools in the hull around the middle, well in front of the bilge pump. When you take off, the water rushes to the back and washes the oil off your steering cable.

Old    craigp            06-23-2003, 10:20 PM Reply   
The truth is there is a grease zerk on both the rudder port and the cable, but dont give the cable more than two pumps or it will get really stiff. Most likely you have had water in the bilge alot and the cabel will need to be replaced
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2003, 3:07 AM Reply   
Buddy of mine's '00 X was getting stiff and he got the zerk on top of the rudder housing and it helped quite a bit. Just a few pumps until it comes out a pin hole in the bottom. If that doesn't help you may be due for new cable like Craig pointed out.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-02-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Can anyone give instructions on how to replace the cable and cost? My steering on my 00 X Star got really stiff this weekend.

thx for all the help
Old    sandman            07-02-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
Here is some feedback on my buddies 01' X9 that I posted earlier. He pumped some grease into the zerk fitting on the rudder but it did not seem to help. It wasn't until the second trip out on the water the thing completely loosened up again. Feels like new.