Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
I've never been a wheel guy, but the 22s came on my Burb when I bought it. After a couple years now I actually like the way it drives with the larger wheels. I always thought wheels would last forever but turns out chrome rims in the NW deteriorate over time from the sand and chemicals on the roads from snow removal. So the seal on one of my rims is no longer holding air and I need new rims. I don't like the price of new rims so was thinking about just powdercoating them. I was told powdercoating should not have the same problems as chrome is this true? Also, I'm assuming just black would be probably be best but any other suggestions? Any graphic people here can alter the pick to show what they might look like black? sorry for the dirty truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by hawk22; 06-12-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
I bought a set of chrome rims on craigslist and had them sand plasted and painted black. The guy told me that painting rims is better and will hold up better then powdercoating them. With mine I did a satin black with just the black paint. If you want them glossy they can shoot a clear over top. One of the biggest things will be to let them cure for quite a while to really let the paint dry. That means resisting to mount them for a while. As far as road grime and sand. Even with black wheels I personally believe you should run winters and summers depending on your climate. I live just outside Vancouver BC. I have friends that bought all black wheels and they don't really hold up much better than chrome.
Old    9Drozd            06-12-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
If you do powder coat them, also have them powder coat a clear coat on as well. Otherwise brake cleaner will eat through it fairly quick. Happened to my dads rear end on his altered. They didn't powder coat a clear on even though they were supposed to. needless to say it didn't last long.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Paint will hold up better than PC? hmmm..
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-12-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
I call BS...sure...if u do chip PC you have to redo the whole wheel where as with paint can touch up.

My matte black PC on my wheels have been spotless and zero chips and it gets offroaded a few times a yr if not more. had them PC back in Sept '10

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
How about you plasti-dip them? Google it.

I also agree with the comment that you should have a spare set of wheels for winter driving especially since you are in the NW. Chrome will not hold up with salt and other agents. I always removed mine come December before it snowed.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
I call BS...sure...if u do chip PC you have to redo the whole wheel where as with paint can touch up.

My matte black PC on my wheels have been spotless and zero chips and it gets offroaded a few times a yr if not more. had them PC back in Sept '10

Don't you live in FL? Totally different climate and the chemicals and melting agents they probably use in the NW are eventually going to make their way through. Just a thought on your bs call.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-12-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
Don't you live in FL? Totally different climate and the chemicals and melting agents they probably use in the NW are eventually going to make their way through. Just a thought on your bs call.
Haha ur right...forgot people have to deal with salt and chemicals on roads. Back to your conversations...but i do know several rover owners out in the Rocky mntn areas who had success with pc their wheels.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-12-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
I had some aluminum rims I powder coated a few years ago...they chipped all the time. I should have painted them but people told me PC hold up better. It was gloss black so I was able to touch up with a black touch up kit...but it became a once a month thing to touch up the rims.

Rims are cheap...specially 22's. I would just buy new rims. You can even buy factory knock off's.....in most cases as good as OEM.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
How about you plasti-dip them? Google it.

I also agree with the comment that you should have a spare set of wheels for winter driving especially since you are in the NW. Chrome will not hold up with salt and other agents. I always removed mine come December before it snowed.
I plastic dip my commuter wheels and they have held up very well. Did about a can per wheel. Took my time as a I had my winter wheels on the car at the time. Went ahead and plastic dip coated my motorcycle too, looks pretty good. I found that coming back over the top of plastic dip with a flat black spray paint creates a more durable finish.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
powder coating done correctly will not chip. we powder coat rims at my work all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       06-12-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
I would agree that PC holds up better than paint. I've been riding stuntbikes for a while so my friends and I have had quite a few parts either PC'd or painted. If done right PC should hold up better.

I hope I don't offend you but your rim style is a little dated and for the price of having your rims either painted or PC'd you may be better off finding a used set of updated rims on CL. If you still really like the style though just forget what I said and check more into PC.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
who ever said rims are cheap is richer than i am.... seriously?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
@ Ben totally not offended. Like I stated originally, not really a wheel guy. I would be fine with the original 16s that came with the rig, but having been on the 22s I like the way it rides. Might peek to see if someone is selling some tho. That might be a good alternative.

And yeah I agree w/ Pete...Rims do not seem cheap to me at all. I mean 20 full tanks of gas for my boat....or new rims....
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-12-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
just do it yourself.....

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/powdercoat.html
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-12-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
I used to run the powder coating side of an ornamental iron shop and I can tell you from experience that the quality of the PC job really comes down to the prep an materials used. Like others have said, If powder coating you need to sandblast prior to application you also need to use a clear coat over whatever color you choose or the color will fade fast. Powder coat by itself without a clear will not hold up to the elements as well as a good auto paint job. So whoever said paint was better than PC was not too far off. Again it all comes down to the prep and quality of materials used.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Or I may be able to sell mine for little bit to offset the cost of new rims. Any suggestions for less expensive rims that look okay with the burb.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-13-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
powdercoating is cheap. I got my 530i wheels done in satin black for $100. Holds up well but im in AZ so we dont deal with chemicals. (just constant natural sandblasting)
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-13-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
^^^ur lucky i spent $450 to have mine done, didnt have any curb rash either to repair. Sandblast, prep & PC...all in all it was a 3day job after dropping off my truck.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I am not a huge fan of rockstars but here are some
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/3072875103.html

Here are some good looking boss rims although they look to be chrome as well.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3062976696.html

20" OEM rims from a newer LTZ it looks like. This is what I would get I think.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3069307521.html
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
Well, it makes it tough to afford new rims when PC is so inexpensive seemingly. I know the style is outdated, but I just found out a customer of mine at my coffee shop owns a powder coat company. Says he could do my rims for $200 bucks on trade for coffee... hard to pass up. Saves money for Gas! So it looks like I'm probably gonna roll with the PC option so what would look best? All black? Leave lugs chrome? Leave lugs and center cap chrome? any photoshop peeps??
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-13-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Leave the lugs way they are. Ur lug will scratch anyways if u have to change a tire plus ur tire wrench wont fit anymore i woul think.

They can paint the center cap to match.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Painted black as I said above. Chrome Lugs and Chrome center cap.
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Jeremy, I would just powdercoat them, paint the caps to match and leave the lugs or buy black lugs. Since your suburban is all black I would consider PC them silver/gray if possible so they have a finish that looks like those newer tahoe rims I linked. I think a brushed aluminum looks better with an all black rig unless of coarse you want the murdered out gangster look.

Off topic but where do you get your coffee beans from? I have a buddy in Bellingham that roasts his own beans and actually started a company.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-13-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Just make sure your powder coater has done rims before. Some wheel brands do not hold up as well during the powder coating process due to the extreme heat. Also, you said that your original problem is your rims not sealing. Make sure your powder coater knows this and preps really well , or you’ll continue to have the same issues.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
Yeah 200$ is a great deal hopefully he knows what he's doing. Worth keeping them for that price though.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
Brett, we actually roast our own beans. Our green beans come from Guatemala. Who is your friend or name of his company?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
Well, finally done. For the money, I think they turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-25-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Those look a million times better, wow.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-25-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuclint View Post
Those look a million times better, wow.
Exactly what he said. Now tint those front windows
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-25-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Looks good!!

Like the black. Ya, I need to do them windows too........ LOL
Attached Images

Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-25-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Wow, they turned out great!
Old     (GRad)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-25-2012, 9:15 PM Reply   
That finish is sick! Good choice. Glad I'm not the only one rocking wheels before tint...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Hawk, those look great. I would of never guessed they would come out looking that good. I thought the rims looked kind of dated in chrome. They look great now. I would rather have those then any of the cockstars or other KMC XD wheels.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Matt, I like how yours has black cladding all the way. Did you paint, or did it come that way? Mine is black around the wheels, but the base of the burb is gray..wish it was black now that my wheels are black
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRad View Post
That finish is sick! Good choice. Glad I'm not the only one rocking wheels before tint...
You guys do know its only around $50 to have the tint put on right??
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-26-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Matt has the non Z71 version that is why there is no trim along the bottom like yours.

I'll through my white one up just because.

in its element.

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-26-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
Mark - whats that setup youre running^^^^ (rim size, tire size) - do you have a lift on that? Sick setup!
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-26-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
Migs they are Cooper ST Maxx's in a 33 (275/70r18) on a helo rim. The truck has 2" spacers in the rear and keys in the front. It was a cheap rough country kit with shocks. I plan on upgrading to the Bilstein 5100's this fall which should help bring the ride back to factory. Overall I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I finally got rid of the soccer mom hoe lol.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-26-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
thanks ! ^^ im diggin that setup...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Looks great Hawk. Good call on the black satin.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Mark,

I would check and see is Sears still has free shock install. Just put a set of 4 Rancho 5100 on our 2500HD work truck for $240.
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-26-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   

Here are mine on the lightning. I just went to home depot and bought 5 cans of plasti dip and sprayed them inside and out.
Chrome lug nuts and masked off center embler. Came out nice. Been painted for 5 months and no flaking or peeling. Best part of this stuff is you can peel it off it need be. Just wipe wheels with rubbing alcohol and spray! So easy even I could do it!
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-27-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Pat I'll have to check into it that is a really good price.