Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-25-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
I was doing some browsing and came across the new models from phase five for 2012. First is the Model X they claim it to be a hybrid of sorts and say it is the best of both worlds.A cross between surf and skim.They also go on to say that with the swallow tail and the ability to run three fins that it tracks incredibly well.Here are a few pics.Anyone have a chance to ride one of these yet??
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-25-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Also new this year is the colt .It is also a hybrid of sorts but has a squash tail and is rated up to 250 LBS
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
I just bought one of the Phase 5 carbonX boards.I'll give you a report on how i like it.All i have to compare it to is a LF venture and a Hyperlite Broadcast.I know there junk but i'll still be able to tell you how much better they are.
Attached Images

Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
What is the Carbon X? Looks great. Looking into the Diamond for us but still trying to nail down what size. We are coming from a Coex so, like your new board, I think it will obviously be a big step up for us. So pumped for the season to start!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBu View Post
What is the Carbon X? Looks great. Looking into the Diamond for us but still trying to nail down what size. We are coming from a Coex so, like your new board, I think it will obviously be a big step up for us. So pumped for the season to start!
Like the OP said it's a hybrid.Speed and maneuverability of a skim board,but with three fins grip and control of a surf style.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
So which division does a rider enter with this board? Surf style, skim style, or either? ;-)
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-27-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
I agree with you Robert I was at California Marine Sports today and I saw the Colt ...... unofficial finger measurement made the fins out to be 2" ....... it had an overall look of skim to me but had a very noticeable rocker and with the fins you would have to say surf ........ I'm sure the only people who really care are the ruling party or dictator!! Maybe this will finally lead the way as to what is Skim and what is Surf ....... doesn't matter how it's ruled but it just needs to be ruled one way or the other because you gotta believe more boards are coming!!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-27-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Maybe it's the Competition Scoring that needs to be decided as to what is Skim and what is Surf!! If Skim Style and Surf Style are going to be judged alike as per points per trick then they have to come up with " What defines a Skim Board and What defines a Surf Board ". I have never read anywhere about the Characteristics of a Board relating to being judged Skim or Surf Style. If a so called " Skim Rider " on a " Skim Board " competed in the Surf Style Comp he would win every time it would seem to me since he or she would be able to do far more tricks for points then a " Surf Rider " on a " Surf Board " could do. So if the Skim Style and Surf Style were judged differently as Skim for Points Per Trick and Surf for either Ocean Surf Style or Surf Style with a Mandatory Trick List then the what is a Skim Board vs what is a Surf Board would never have to be decided. Each rider would know how each was going to be scored and they could choose whatever board they wanted accordingly. It's funny to me that everybody worries about Skim becoming Surf and not that Surf is becoming Skim. Maybe it's because a " Surf Style Board " would never compete in a Skim Contest due to its performance so no one cares but a " Skim Style Board " would dominate a Surf Contest hands down!!

This is all my opinion but if you are going to have 2 different divisions then they should be scored as 2 different divisions. It seems to me you could argue forever in what makes a Skim or Surf Board. Fin size and board size would and could be argued forever as to where you stop and start the distinctions. But if each class had its own Scoring System you would never have to deal with the board issue. It could be simple as Skim Style is this and Surf Style is that!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
Dennis and I are working through some of these issues for the West Coast Open. Its a pickle, no doubt. ;-)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-31-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I like the idea of a hybrid.....I think you could classify it to ride in either category, depending on what fins you run.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-31-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Who cares what board you enter with? If you enter surf style and all you do is spin.....your gonna get scored low. If you enter in Skim and all you do is Air....your gonna get scored low! Done!

Dont get ticky-tack and limit the boards people can enter with. If i want to go enter a road bike race with my 8" Travel 35lb DownHill bike, more power to me, but I'm not gonna win!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-31-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
^^^^^ i can agree with that!!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-06-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
cwb4me,

any report? been out on it yet?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
cwb4me,

any report? been out on it yet?
Not yet but probably within the next two weeks.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-07-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
I am dying to try one of these out, but we can't keep them in stock.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-07-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
^^^ The Model X ^^^
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
Okay i got to ride my new Phase 5 carbon x Hybrid board today.All i can say is wow! Talk about instant response it's like a corvette.All i have to compare it to is a LF Venture and a Hyperlite Broadcast.Also i'm a beginner surfer,all i can do is move back and forth to and from the boat and climb and decend the wake.No tricks yet.This board is 10 times more responsive than my others.It really carries speed well and carves like a knife.I have had people tell me skim boards are loose,this board is a Corvette,sticks like glue while carving.Just imagine what someone who could surf could do with this power and potential.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
Robert, thanks for the feedback. Mind sharing what boat/ballast, and your weight?

thanks,
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
U think the board would be too fast the teach a noob on ?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by miljack View Post
Robert, thanks for the feedback. Mind sharing what boat/ballast, and your weight?

thanks,
I think it would be okay to teach a Noob.It was a newer SANTE ,but I don't know what year.It was probably stock ballast,but I'm not sure?
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-02-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Ordered my Model X today. Yellow aswell. I'm 240 6'3" hope this thing will be a good longtime investment board for me. Todd @ Towanza really spent some time with me helping picking the right board for my boat, plus got it at a good price!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2012, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjole View Post
Ordered my Model X today. Yellow aswell. I'm 240 6'3" hope this thing will be a good longtime investment board for me. Todd @ Towanza really spent some time with me helping picking the right board for my boat, plus got it at a good price!
Congratulations i know you will love it. It does everything well. I feel like i will make leaps and bounds in my progression this year.Good luck Txjole as i believe you will too.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-07-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
What size board did you get. I am 6 foot 200# and new to the sport. I bought the kids a small 48" long board but I think it into small for me? Ay thoughts?
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
Well my hopes to ride the new "X" this weekend are dashed. Carbon Fiber boards are already going into backorder status. But they did add some new traction colors!! Maybe the following weekend.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-16-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Got her today! Can't wait for the weekend. Might play with it in the bathtub tonight.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjole View Post
Got her today! Can't wait for the weekend. Might play with it in the bathtub tonight.

Fill the surf side all the way.LOL