Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
The Waterman's article got me wondering.
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...watermans.html
I think it is awesome that some of the top names are getting a high quality sunscreen company involved in wake, and I myself am becoming more concerned about the sunscreen that I use on myself, as well as allow in my boat. In a recent Men's Journal (i think it was), it said that only 10-12 of the top sunscreens actually passed the most thorough test in total protection, yet it didn't list those sunscreens. Now think about how many sunscreens are out on the market, and that all it takes is to pass the requirements for protection to the minimum of standards, and minimum ingredients, and how we really don't know what it takes to be protected.

1) What sunscreen do you use and any specific reason why?
2) What are the ingredients not recommended for boat upholstery? ( or those that are)
3) What are the top sunscreens in your opinion, and those that may be more specific to boating and riding?

Growing up I used Bull Frog Quick Dry, because it seemed to work and I could slap it on and get in the water sooner. Now I do sprays, so I can get my back and areas without asking a stranger to wipe me. Now I don't know what to use. I found an old tube of HeadHunter Surf Screen, which seemed to work well but ruined my shirt.

Thank you.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Little bit of google-ing.

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/bes...rt-sunscreens/
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
we rid 2-3 days a week and use what ever is on sale. usually try to use 50 spf minimum. but bought a giant bottle of "no-add" 30 spf and been using that.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-01-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
My wife and I were talking about it this weekend after she had read a couple of articles on the subject. The biggest thing of note for sunscreens was that most people don't apply enough and then don't reapply throughout a day. It said a family of 4 should go through an entire bottle of sunscreen if they spend a whole day outside at the beach/lake. Also, there isn't a huge difference between most SPF 30's and 50's. It's not like 50 is twice the protection of 25, and anything over 50 you really aren't getting any added benefit.

So all that to say that volume of sunscreen used and the frequency with which you reapply probably has a lot more to do with protection than brand name.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-01-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm a big fan of the Coppertone Sport sunscreens. Mainly because it doenst feel oily like alot of the rest and is suppose to be sweat proof /water proof.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-01-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Dont use the spray sunscreens those seem to stick to everything on the boat and are very difficult to remove. Try to get the ones you rub on your hands and apply.

Also sunscreen does expire so pay attention to how long you have had it.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-01-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Neutrogena 70+ spf. I am outside all day long and throw on 2-3 layers and don't get burned. You definitely need to put it on before you start sweating and need to wait about 20 min to hop in the water otherwise it (and any other sunscreen) will come right off.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Absolutely no spray sunscreens allowed on my boat. I prefer good ole Bullfrog but I only use it on my neck, face and ears.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
i heard some sunscreens stain vinyl. is this true? if so, which ones?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-01-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
I've been using Blue Lizard for the past two years and I've never burned through it and I am extremely fair skinned. It's an Australian formula and is zinc oxide based so it's a little thicker and takes about 5 minutes for the ghost look to disappear, but it's worth it. Though I do want to try Waterman's now.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Blue Lizard does seem to be the best. Wonder about Watermans as well
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
I always use Coppertone sunscreen in the blue bottle, rub on not spray. It works great for me and I never get burned through it.

My wife likes to use the spray on sunscreen on the kids and I hate it. I feel like it never soaks in and it gets on everything they touch.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
A friend of mine had a good one I'm not sure of the name but it has coconut oil in it. Works well and doesn't seeem to wash off or burn my eyes when I go in the water like everything else I've tried. Seems with most sun screens the second I get in the water it washes off even if it says waterproof and I apply it ages beforehand.

Nivea is good stuff, I typically use that (SPF 15 - 30) and don't get burned, but if I'm going in the water I don't like to put any on my face since it runs straight into my eyes and burns like hell. I usually grab the kids stuff since it's coloured and you can see where you've missed spots.

I like the spray bottles, never tried aerosol but I'm not sure I want to since I've heard it eats into vinyl and some plastics like frames of sunglasses. Something to do with the propellant maybe.

Last edited by jtnz; 06-01-2010 at 8:18 PM. Reason: extra info
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2010, 12:10 AM Reply   
I just use the no-add stuff. it is cheapest, but i am no sunscreen expert.

with that said, a lot of people also don't realize sunscreen expires. most only last a year. if you got old bottles in the boat, most likely you will need to toss and replace
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2010, 12:19 AM Reply   
I like coppertone sport but i normally just use whatever i can find first.

I never let anyone use the spray on the boat, messes with the gel coat, puts white spots on my red cap!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
With Watermans sponsoring Riders now, maybe they should find out/show the effects of their sunscreen on vinyl. If the results are promising, that would be a good marketing stance, and a double reason to support them as a company.

From the research I've done, any sunblock that can get Australian approval will be far better than the others, hints Blue Lizard's high ratings.

Watermans seems very similar to Blue Lizard, just not as widely known or used.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
ordered some watermans spf 33 and some of the chapstick, will let you guys know what I think, havent used it yet!