Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-30-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
i am going to try to make wood boxes for ballast. my only problem is water proofing the inside of the boxes.what do u think i should use? i was thinking some of that rhino lining for trucks or brush some resin on the inside. what do u think.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
I don't think it's a great idea, seems like any small hole will lead to eventual failure. In the past people have posted pictures of stainless steel tanks and custom built plastic tanks but I have not seen wood. Wood with a bladder might be OK but I don't know what benefit that would offer over a sac?

However stranger things have been done...
Old    alanp            03-30-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
why stop at resin. id do fiberglass. gonna look alot better and you can be sure its not gonna leak. since its the inside of the box it doesnt need to look that good either.
Old    alanp            03-30-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
im assuming youd put sacs in the boxes
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-30-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Alan check your email
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-30-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
i'm with mike - I don't like it. even if you lined them w/ sacs (again why not use sacs by themselves) sweating, overflow or anything could cause leaks. which you have to completely dry out between trips to the lake. All fiberglass sounds better. I built a frame out of wood. and threw and single waterbed mattress in it. you can pick those up (with no baffles) for like $10 on ebay.
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-30-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
how can i make them all fiberglass?Would there be ANY wood involved in the process?if there is ,would i coat the inside or the outside of the box?
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-30-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
What's the logic, Mr. Spock???? Why wood over sacks???
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-30-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
its very simple.
i dont have a pump to empty so i want tanks so i can put a screw off thingy like on the bottom of cooler on the side of the tank.

i am broke.

i take my fatboy in and out and i am tired of having to take precious care of it

the boxes can be used as seats

the biggest thing is that i can build them to fit under these two seats in the back.

why not?please tell me?what are the cons of this?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-31-2005, 5:04 AM Reply   
Why not use a plastic water or gas tank, if you have to buy resin and fiberglass it would probably cost the same. I looked at doing that a few years ago for under my back seat, but decided to stick with bags because you still have storage when they are empty
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
A couple of years ago I made some weights using 7 gallon plastic water "cubes". I found them at Wal-mart in the camping section. I filled them with sand, and got them to 100 lbs each. I could have added water to saturate the sand, but they were already getting hard to handle. This was for a Malibu Skier where space was at a premium. It was cheap and effective.