Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2011, 5:01 AM Reply   
My 01 Sunsetter VLX I just got has a crappy system in it, sounds like total ass, and needs a budget upgrade ASAP.

Currently rocking a 10 year old JVC head unit that I hate, CD changer that I have zero use for and I can't get the magazine out, stock Infinity speakers on the dash that have issues, and a blown pair of Kickers in the back. Has some big, likely crappy, JVC amp powering the 4 speakers, and a powered Infinity Amp/Sub/Enclosure combo deal.

For the sub, I'll just rock out the Infinity this year until I upgrade that over the winter.

Amp, I'll either re-use the JVC or throw my Eclipse 4-channel in there I haven't used in a while.

Speakers: I want $60 less online priced shipped/pair setup that sounds good. Dash can be automotive grade as they stay dry, but the rears need to be marine grade, as they are highly likely to get damp/wet. I also want all 4 speakers to match, so it looks like I am going Marine Grade all around. I've had my eye on a few pairs:
- Alpine SPS-M600. In my budget, but I'm not a fan of their look
- JBL MS6100. Below budget, but being all white would look like crap on the dash
- MB Quart NKE116. Well below budget, and I like the look, but fear the speaker grill does not offer the protection needed for the back speakers, as they could get kicked a bit
- Polk DB651. In budget, look good, and like the speaker grills.

I haven't heard any of them, and I doubt I will before purchase. Any opinions on these speakers, or other speaker suggestions within budget?

Head Unit:

Here is where I'm stuck a bit. I've had a lot of head units over the years, but am a particular fan of Pioneer Premier and Eclipse Audio stuff (Eclipse has recently left the US). My boat needs a single DIN unit. You will not be able to convince me that I need a Marine Grade HU in there - I rocked a Kenwood auto-grade unit in my last boat for 10 years - that boat rode like hell, was used a lot, and the head unit never had any issues ever.

I also want something compatiable with a transom remote. Must also be able to control an iPhone, and be optioned to connect to a Sirius SCVDOC1 (let's me use my Sportser 5 as a tuner, but the head unit will control the Sirius tuning). Alpine has the ability to do all of this, and I really like their transom remote, but I'm not in love with their head units and pricing.

Pioneer seems to be lacking the Marine audio department, so transom remotes aren't there. I have no desire to own Kenwood or JVC stuff, nor crappy off-brand junk either. I've never been a Sony fan, but haven't used any of their recent stuff, so I might be convinced. I'm cool with Clarion too. Any suggestions on head units would be appreciated.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-03-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Polk DB651 sounded good in our Malibu (had 2 pairs) running on a 5-channel amp with our Kicker sub. Not sure about those other speakers but was pleased with price and sound of the Polks
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-03-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
The db651s go on sale a Crutchfield for $50 per pair shipped regularly. I have 2 pairs in the boat powered by the factory hu and 4 on the tower with a 200 watt amp. They sound perfectly acceptable to me.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-03-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Oh and my 651s have gotten soaked by rain on more than one occasion and seem to be fine but I've only had them for about a year.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-04-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
I swapped amps today. Out with the old JVC Digifine KS-AX704

And swapped in my 4-channel Eclipse 3640:

My god what a difference in audio output and sound quality. Though the JVC is rated @ 60 watts RMS @ 4ohm vs the Eclipse @ 40 watts RMS, the Eclipse is far louder (and clearer). Where I couldn't turn up the old amp without distortion, I can crank this one.

The difference is so great that I'm not even going to swap the Infinity speakers on the dash at this point. The Kicker KM60's in the back are going to be replaced with the Polk DB651 speakers I just ordered. The Kickers need way more gain to make similar sound level output as the Infinity's, yet still lack the sound quality of them. That, and they are a bit beat up, so it's time to go.

Still need to figure out the head unit situation. Are there ANY decent transom remotes that work with Pioneer stuff. I just can't find anything on the market for the money that touches what Pioneer is selling.