Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    sherlock633            09-03-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
are they neccsary for wakeboarding or does it really matter
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-03-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Not at all.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-03-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
if u can stand the cold, go without 'em!
Old    wakeboarder408            09-03-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Well, if you're from Northern Cali where the air temp in the winter is around 55 deg. and the water temp is about 50 deg then i would say yeah. Or you can buy a dry suit.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
since your a student from miss, probably with a limited budget id recommend a full wetsuit. If money is no object definitely buy the dry suit before, like me, you have all three and only use the dry suit.
Old    howie            09-07-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
I second you bob I ride with mark and last year we boarded two day before turkey day 45 degree water and cold very cold It took hot dam and coffee to keep us warm I got a dry suit for x-mas that year. Only in the winter is needed
Old    sherlock633            09-08-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
wats the diff between a wetsuit and a dry suit. witch one better for cold.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-08-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Hmmm, with a wetsuit, you stay wet, and a drysuit, you stay dry! Wetsuits are made of neoprene, and they keep you warm by allowing a thin layer of water in between the neoprene and your skin, and this keeps you warm. A drysuit doesn't let the water in - in fact you can wear regular clothes underneath them.

Both will work in cold temperature. There are different grades of wetsuits - e.g. a 2/1 is only good for early fall temperatures, a 3/2 is better for fall, or a 4/3 if you go in winter. Of course they get more expensive the more they are designed to protect you. Drysuits are generally more expensive.

I prefer my drysuit. Although it's a little bulkier, I don't have to deal with getting wet and stripping off a wet suit and freezing.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-08-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
My wetsuit costs more than most drysuits. It also lets in less water than most drysuits and tends to be more comfortable. A good wetsuit will allow more flexability. It comes down to individual preference.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
Some drysuits look more like wetsuits also. They are neoprene, just like wetsuits, but have sealed seams. They give you the flexibility of a wetsuit, but still keep you dry.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
Peter, i have to disagree with you on this one. My drysuit could not be any more flexible as it is a baggy and i dont know how you could make a neoprene wetsuit that flexable?? Also, how could your wetsuit let in less water then a drysuit as its supposed to let water in??
Old    jojomantor            09-09-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
i wear a full and it does not have any affect on my riding at all
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
Well Bob, when you wear a drysuit in cold weather you need to put more clothing on underneath, along with a lifejacket. So I will ask the question have you tried a new wetsuit? Did you know that some of them today you crawl through the neck with no zippers? I use a ZEN Zip wetsuit that does have a zipper but also has a flap that you crawl through to get into it. I have two drysuits that I used for over three seasons each, so my experience with drysuits is not exactly nil. One is an O'neill and the other is a much better quality OS Systems with all latex seals.

Just because it is called a "wetsuit" does not mean it is supposed to let in water, that is a misnomer. Having something tight against your body that flexes with it keeps out the water, without the latex seals cutting off circulation. If you think about the motions that a surfer goes through when paddling, you will realize flexibility is a must. Check out the new equipment and you might find that it is pretty trick.
Taken from O'neill's website and there are many other great brands of wetsuits.

Psycho II 4/3 Zen Zip [ 1832 ]

HIGHLIGHTS:
Double (2X) Fluid Seam Weld - 100% Sealed
100% Ultraflex DS
Super Minimal Seam Design
Plasma Padz - Reformulated
Plasma Interior Wrist and Ankle Seals
Increased Entry Flexibility
Patented Zen Zip Closure System
Firewall Chest and Lumbar Panels
Strategic Seamless Paddle Zones
Chafe-Free Glideskin Collar

FEATURES:
Wind Resistant Smooth Skin: Chest and Back
Glued and Blindstitched Seams
2XFSW Stitchless Seams - Strong and Stretchy
Engineered Fit
Zen Skin
Hidden Key Pocket
Mens sizes [1832] : s-3xl,ms,mt,ls,lt,xls,xlt
U.S. MSRP : $369.95 }
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
you are right about adding additional clothing but normally i just wear loose fitting sweats and no jacket.....uh oh did i just say that out loud.
The seals are tight on the dry, especially the neck, thats for sure.
Old    anim8or            09-10-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
<<<just>>>

Wait a minute....I thought the whole purpose of a wetsuit IS to let in water and then keep it in. The idea being that your body will heat up what little water is let in, thus providing you with extra insulation between you and the cold water of the lake or river. Thats why wet suits are so tight, so that the water that gets in through the neoprene won't leak out the seams. Am I wrong?
Old    anim8or            09-10-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
weird. was trying to quote part of Peter's post and all it put in was <<<just>>>. huh. meant to quote: "Just because its called a wetsuit does not mean its supposed to let in water, thats a misnomer."
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-10-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Taken from this website http://www.spartan.uk.com/construction.htm

Myth explosion #1 - you need water in your wetsuit for it to work. WRONG!

If you want to get cold then that's fine, but Spartan know that the best way to keep warm is to keep the water out of your suit.

More from another website

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/wetsuit_hype%3a_10_big_lies/0/

The Mother of All BS
"Wetsuits ... function by trapping a layer of water between your body and the wetsuit. Your body—the furnace—heats this layer of water in conjunction with the wetsuit, and therefore keeps you warm."

This is the oldest, though not quite the dumbest, myth about wetsuits. In fact, the water that leaks inside is a detriment, and you'd be warmer without it. It's the bubbles of gas trapped in the neoprene that keep you warm, not the water.