Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (peterski)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-18-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
I'm a new boater/wakeboarder using a 2004 Four Winns Horizon 230. I came across the stabilizers linked below that purport to not only allow one to plane faster (not a problem) but allow one to stay on plane at lower speeds (which is a problem for most I/Os at wakeboard speeds). Any one familiar with these products and whether or not they actually work?

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=657

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=7461
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-18-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have the SE 300, which is a little bigger than those and it definately worked well for me.
Old    rickybarns            05-18-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have a stingray on my 99 Tahoe Q5 - 19ft, 190hp. It didn't help the top speed much, went from 51mph to 53mph. It does give a LOT more control of bow rise and planing attitude. When I start off pulling a wakeboarder, I trim the motor all the way down. The hydrofoil keeps the bow down and keeps a much more consistent acceleration. As we approach 18-20mph I begin to trim up which pushes the stern down into the water and causes the boat to plow a nice wake. This only works up to about 20mph. Above 20 the hydrofoil really begins to lift the whole boat out of the water. It is harder to hold a consistent speed when plowing the boat with the trim way up - you kind of have to play with the speed and the trim to get the best result. If you just want a more consistent pull, trim all the way down and the stingray will keep the boat riding more level front-to-back.
At higher speeds the hydrofoil really helps lift the boat out of the water - especially when we are running with 1200lbs+ (people, gear, & ballast). I can still get 45-50mph loaded down to the boats max capacity (1300lbs). I love being able to skeeedadle out of a crowded area of the lake to find the smooth glass. While in the crowded water, trimming all the way down makes the hull push through the waves instead of bouncing over them for a much smoother ride.
If you learn to use it, and experiment with it a lot, you will find that it can do pretty much everyting they claim it will - just keep your thumb on the trim adjustment and play. The hard part is teaching someone else how to manipulate it to give YOU a good ride.
You also might want to check on how this will affect the warranty. I know the Stingray requires drilling holes in the anti-ventilation plate (flat plate over the prop). It made me sick to my stomach drilling on mine last year and it was already 4 years old - don't think I'd have the balls to drill on a newborn.
Some say that hydrofoils and whale-tails cause stress on the outdrive, I disagree. A small adjustment in the trim will make a much bigger difference in ride attitude. This allows the stern drive to operate at less severe angles which can cause excessive wear on the drive shaft and its support bearings.
Hope this helps.

(Message edited by rickybarns on May 18, 2004)
Old    ilovetrains            05-18-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Peter, I was looking at the 230. What engine do you run? You can somtimes get a boat to maintain a slower speed by dropping the prop pitch. What speed do you run for boarding?
Old    jetpilot313            05-18-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
yes it definatley waorks i have the sting ray and i harldy ever change speeds now
Old    jimmydager101            05-18-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hey,
I tried using a hydrofoil like that one on my smaller 16 foot boat and was not too impressed. It helped me to accelerate faster and plane out faster but when I was on plane, my boat was really hard to control. the back end of my boat kept slipping out when a wakeboarder pulled on it when they cut out. It never did that before or since after I took it off. I really liked it but was worried about the handling problems when my friends were driving the boat so I took it off. I think that it was probably just because my boat is so small so you probably wouldn't have a problem.
Jimmy
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-18-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
They do work well...though I wouldn't expect a huge decrease in planing speed...but the boat will hold at wakeboarding speed better.

Jimmy, sounds like you may have had your outboard trimmed down too far. Trim it up a little bit and I'd doubt you'd have that problem.

I've used one on an outboard 17' Whaler and a 19' Celebrity I/O and worked very well for both.
Old     (peterski)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-18-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
All, thanks so much for the input as it is a great help. Ricky, thanks much for the detailed analysis...great point about the warranty...will look into it...if cool I may have someone else install it as I agree drilling holes in a new engine with less than 10 hours will require cajones the size of basketballs. Matt, I went with the Volvo 280 Gxi DuoProp...trying to maintain boarding speed from 18-20. Attaching a picture of the boat.

PJC Four Winns 230