Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    stoked409            08-20-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
heel side i can launch, but toe side is straight up hard.

am i the only one with this problem??

im new here and need some pointers
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
no youre not the only one with that problem. At the begining of this summer i couldnt jump toeside at all. Just start trying it. The more you do it the more comfortable you will get with it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Think about what you are doin on your heel side and apply it to your toe side.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-20-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
toe-side kills me too. I think what im doing isn't cutting hard enough and landing too much on my heel edge so im slippin out and landin on my butt. So im workin on it...
Old    stoked409            08-20-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
gosh..ive got so much to learn and im ready to learn it all tonight!!

thanks for the info guys..
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-20-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
The number one thing i see people do is not get on edge enough and also not keep the handle low and anchored on their lead hip. A vid or pics would help....also do a search on here you'll find a bunch.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
Drop your back shoulder lower than your front shoulder, hold the handle low and edge hard. Just keep doing it and doing it, it gets super easy.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-21-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
The whole key is cutting all the way up the wake. Most people flatten out before the wake and lose all their pop. You can get away with cheating like this on your heelside but trust me, just make yourself edge up the wake and you will get it everytime.

Good luck, toeside is fun.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-21-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
When I was learning toeside, someone here on WW gave me the following advice, which really helped me out:

1. Do a normal heelside jump, then come back across the wake toeside. Don't try to jump, just travel across the wake.

2. Now, in order to get out and do another heelside jump, you normally cut quite hard to get out there. As you start cutting, analyze all the things you are doing:
A. Standing fairly straight/tall
B. Maintaining solid pressure on your toeside
C. Leaning 'down' the rope.
D. Cutting like you intend on carving the next 30 feet without stopping.

Now, after you practice that for a few times, apply the exact same principles, but instead of carving away from the wake, now set up so that your carve is approaching the wake.

The 'lean down the rope' is the most important thing for me. I was always trying to lean into the wake. You need to lean 'away' from the boat to get the line tension necessary for good pop.

Sorry if that was convoluted, I reread it and it sounds like mung, but I don't want to retype :-)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
A good mental trick that will help you get pop is to pick a spot on the shore and keep your eyes on it. If you keep cutting towards that spot without ever taking your eyes off of it you will get good pop.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
thanks guys..

that helped a lot..

good advice!
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-21-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
I would go out and get a couple instruction videos. 'The Book' is a good one to get or 'Detention vol. 1 & 2'.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
im thinking instruction vids too...

besides i wanna see some rippin'
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-21-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Practice cutting away from the wake towards shore until you feel like you are gonna fall (or do fall) then push it harder. That will set your body position. Muscle memory is what wakeboarding is all about.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
knees and shoulders over your toes, handle in tight, and lean like hell against the rope
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
nacho...what do you mean by knees and shoulders over your toes..

i thought leaning back is the key...

Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
On a toe side cut? You would fall over then, lol. Make sure to drop your back shoulder.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
crap im a kook...

some of this stuff is over my head