Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
ok i put this same forum in trick tips but i had to make sure everyone saw it. Ok in a 17 year old girl thats doing a contest on wednesday. Today is monday and i only have tomorrow afternoon for a few hours to practice. But ive never done a contest or anything before and i was wondering if anyone knew anything special i can do to score big and impress the judges. I dont know how they are judging it but i need to do something to win so i dont look like an idiot. Im about in intermediate rider and i can do ts and hs 180's, surface 180's, lipslides, and w2w grabs and stuff, but i need to know if there is anything special i should do or NOT to do. So if anyone has any ideas i need em quick!! E-mail me at Sportyj10@aol.com

THANX!!!

Jamie
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
just go out and have fun! judges would rather see that than someone stressin' and throwin' a fit if they fall, etc.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
Jamie, like Joe said go out there and have fun. I rode comps for many years. I always did better if I just went out and had fun.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
Do you know the format? Two passes? How many falls, etc? Generally just what Joe said, start out comfy and easy to get the feel for the wake, because it will be different, smile and have fun. As you progress through each pass, just keep mixing it up, do some of your 180s if they are feeling good, because they are good for points. Try to do your biggest trick at the end of each pass, be it a nice big grab or whatever you've got. If you are still up riding and having fun, maybe throw your "hollywood" trick at the end (something cool looking that you've been working on, a big spin or flip or something, or maybe just try a really big grab). If you get a chance when the boat comes back around after a fall, or whenever you can, say something nice to the driver and to the judges in the boat, thank them for their time, because they are working hard, tell them if you like the speed, etc.

One more thing, this is your first contest, yes? You should be prepared for the possibility that you will get out there and crash on your very first jump. It happens a lot to new competitors, I've done it myself and my friends have too. If that happens, just laugh it off. When the boat comes back around just smile and try it again. But go easy on your first jump until you get a feel for the wake.

The main thing you should NOT do is act like a poor sport and take it all too seriously. And however the scoring comes out, be a good sport and show enthusiasm for the other riders. You may become friends with them one day.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
good luck
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
No im not sure what the format is but i'll definatly go out and have fun. Thanx guys!

Jamie
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2005, 5:52 AM Reply   
Forgetting your trick list is a common problem. Some write it on their forearm. I use white duct tape on the board and write it in black marker on the tape between the bindings. Sounds stupid, but forgetting a trick is worse.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
Ok so i went out today and was not successful at landing a 360. So that wont be something i try tomorrow unless its the last thing i do. Anything else you guys can think of that would help me please e-mail me at Sportyj10@aol.com

Thanx!!

Jamie
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
Jamie, the bigest advice i can give is to just relax and have fun. My dad used to comment how stressed I'd get and how I wouldn't eat and just generally be a nervous wreck. Now I just chill, hang with my friends I've met through riding and don't sweat it. This is about fun not winning (although winning is nice). Be sure to eat an hour or two before you ride. I like Subway samiches mmmmm, that Jared cat inspires me...

I always start small, get the feel of the wake. i ride advanced and my first thing I do is go surf the wake and get the feel of it's shape. Then I rail in and do a big indy poke straight back into a Ts crail and then go from there. I like to start big but easy, you know what I mean. Nice style & amplitude but a pretty easy grab (indy). It's always good to be able to jump TS or switch so you can go back & forth. Personally I won't let myself repeat tricks but if they allow it go for it, just don't over do it. Have fun!!! Relax & did I mention HAVE FUN? Okay well then HAVE FUN!!!!