Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-27-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
I read another thread where one individual questioned another boat owner about drinking while boating. So it made me want to ask the question, Who drinks alcohol and wakeboards, drives the boat, etc?

I do and almost of all my crew that I ride with does, but it is at a responsible level. Everyone that I have ridden with whether it be on my boat or there's always has some type of alcohol.

Now I don't condone getting full on intoxicated but I do agree with having a few beers here. IMO, its just a part or riding, listening to tunes, and having a good time. Thoughts?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
"responsible" is the key word. everytime i ride with my friend henry, almost everyone in the boat gets a good buzz or even drunk. but, there are always a couple/few people that stay sober to take the helm.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-27-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
This is a loaded topic...............
Be very careful when mixing alcohol and anything that puts peoples lives in jeopardy. Accidents are never intentional, and no-one thought they'd drank too much before plowing into someone else-

Maybe after the ridings done, a drink or two on the beach relaxing is cool
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-27-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
I drink also, but usually just a few beers. I care way too much for my baby to get all hammered. Now if I am on someone elses boat that is a completely different story.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
We usually end the day with a beer or two while making the drive back to the dock at Discovery Bay. Otherwise, most of us avoid beer during the day because we need all all the help we can get wakeboarding! We also ALWAYS have a completely sober driver at the helm.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-27-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
IMO, drinking is for when you have just finished your last set, and you're chilling on the boat or watching your friends who aren't quite done riding yet. Those are the best beers in the world, just idling back to the dock in no rush whatsoever, talking about the day and who did what..

Even then we're responsible. Nobodys getting wasted or anything like that when on the boat.

Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-27-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Like I said in the other thread, I am personally against drinking and boating too. But, like Joe stated as he was setting me straight, there is a limit. A beer or two is different then getting sloshed out there.

When we're out on the water, it's all about the riding. Afterwards, of course, is the time to get hammered while trash talking about how good we were out there today.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-27-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
BEER?Only when I'm not driving.I have a couple of times and 2 beers get me drunk and I get really tired also,so the drive home SUCKS!!

Anyways I'm a 1 woman type a guy and I'm in love with MARYJANE!!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-27-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thats great. You get completely stoned while on the water. That is much safer than getting hammered.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Drink my a$$ off.

(Message edited by rson on December 27, 2004)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
We have a minimum of 12 pack per rider provided by the whore$...thank god the LSV has a huge cooler.

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-27-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
lol Rich that was funny!!! Anyway when we go out we have a few wine coolers, nothing crazy. It's relaxing and helps me ge the courage to try new tricks lol kidding.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
I am much better at drinking beer than wakeboarding.

E.J.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-27-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
"I am much better at drinking beer than wakeboarding."

You and me both.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
THis is why god created wakesurfing.....stanfield, you will have to join us this summer. (of course you will have to buy a malibu too :-) )

Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-27-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Call me old fashioned but if I catch alcohol in my boat, whoever brought it will be asked to leave and will not be invited back. There are laws that prohibit that for a reason.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
the laws here allow for alcohol in the boat, as long as it's not in the driver's possession or in the driver's seating area.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
Sign me up for Jon's boat, I'll bring the board games and Bible trivia game!!!

"asked to leave"????? isn't that a little harsh?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-27-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
"THis is why god created wakesurfing.....stanfield, you will have to join us this summer."

We'll have to do that. We always say we're gonna surf, but end up on the wakeboards and tire out before we ever break out the surf board. I really should take it up with the bum knee and all.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-27-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
we'll usually have a bloody mary after the 2nd set. when were done and just hanging a couple of beers. nobody gets hammered. the driver wont even drink as much either. we keep it responsible. Joe, what lakes do you go to that allow alcohol? castaic rangers will search your boat and if you have alcohol they'll either ask you to leave or take it.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-27-2004, 6:25 PM Reply   

quote:

Sign me up for Jon's boat, I'll bring the board games and Bible trivia game!!!

Now thats some funny sh**!
Old    dogbeater            12-27-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
beer is allowed on my boat. but, none of the drinkers are allowed to drive. i never ride a wakeboard under the influence but after the last set we may have a couple. unless we have a lot of younger peeps, then we usually dont bring any along. where we ride its not illegal as long as the person driving is drinking. peace
Old    dogbeater            12-27-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
where we ride its not illegal as long as the person driving is NOT! drinking. HA HA
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
paul, lakes in norcal.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
For those of you that have even one alcoholic drink and then drive (or while driving) your boat, I wonder how you would feel when that other boat driver had only one drink before plowing into your boat and loved ones, causing grave injury.

Hmmmm, methinks you would immediatly sue and claim the driver had no business being "intoxicated". Or, would you stand up in court and say "Hey, the accident-causing driver could not in any way been hampered by alcohol, seeing as he/she said they only had one drink."

Yeah, right. Keep drinking and driving and you will find no mercy if you endanger and worse, injure another person.

No bible-thumping here, just reality knocking on your thick skulls
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
typical californian (or ex-californian)...the first thing they think of is a lawsuit.

1 drink? even that won't take me remotely close to being legally intoxicated. and i'm a skinny mofo!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Last I checked social drinking is not a crime both on the water and off.

Our driver doesn't drink
I can't believe that this quote has not come up yet....what are they teaching you in schools now a days?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-27-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
alcohol in moderation is ok on the boat as long as the person driving is not the one having any. and on my boat, most everyone who rides, is going to drive at one point or another.I care too much for my boat to even bother having a drink while on it. I wait until I get home, and start cleaning the boat up. drinking and operating any type of vehicle just dont mix. I love to drink, dont get me wrong, but you should not mix the two at any time.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-27-2004, 8:34 PM Reply   
The one time I drank more than a couple of beers while out riding I tweaked my knee and wasn't right for like 3 weeks, that effectivley ended my drinking while riding days. Now its one or the other.
Old    justsomeguy            12-27-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
"where we ride its not illegal as long as the person driving is drinking."

Sounds like a fun place.

What's the accident rate like when you have to be drinking in order to drive?
Old    justsomeguy            12-27-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
What lakes in Norcal prohibit alcohol? We haven't ever been hassled by "The Man" so I guess we've been lucky.

"I wonder how you would feel when that other boat driver had only one drink before plowing into your boat and loved ones, causing grave injury."

Someone doesn't understand the definition of "intoxicated," has been to one too many MADD meetings, or both.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
i don't think anyone said anything about norcal lakes prohibiting drinking in boats.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-27-2004, 11:19 PM Reply   
Troy, Thane, Sean, Bryan, Chris...sorry if you're in this crowd and were offended/scared/pissed that I've had a bullet at the helm before. I should remember to let people know that I'll often bust one or two while I'm out.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, like when I used to think power turns were what you're supposed to do.

Perris and Elsinore are usually PACKED during the summer, and during those times I usually won't drink anything. The again, at Havasu, I might have five or six beers on any given day. Even at 175 lbs, a sixer spread over eight or nine or ten hours is normally not going to impair jack. No headache, maybe a little head change now and then.

Sure, if the unthinkable happened, it'd be a major item to think about for the rest of my life, but so would the many other critical links that had to be in place for the accident to happen. Even in the absence of liquor, there would still be many things to wake you up at night.

On a boat, in an uncrowded lake, if your driving habits are such that the speed of your reflexes make the difference between life and death...you've got bigger problems than drinking.

Likewise, if the alcohol has jacked your judgement to where you're allowing people to surf the v-drive cover or ride on the tower or whatever else you might see on any given wakeboard video...you've probably got bigger problems than drinking.

Yep, if it's a great day on the lake, and you cruise by the Yota and see sunburn and smiles on our faces, you can bet there either has been or will be some fallen soldiers in there.

I ain't down with MJ on the boat, cuz that's (like it or not) an illegal substance that I just don't want on my watch. Even then, it'd be like, "don't bring that stuff again". I couldn't imagine throwing someone off my boat cuz they brought beer.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       12-27-2004, 11:30 PM Reply   
"What lakes in Norcal prohibit alcohol?"

Folsom has banned alcohol.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
shawn, from what i understand, alcohol is only banned on folsom beaches, and still legal in boats. i could be wrong though.
Old    hundo            12-27-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
Your right Joe, Boat is ok for passenges.No Alcohol on the land. Since this has been enforced the fights on the beaches have been cut in half
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       12-28-2004, 12:24 AM Reply   
Well a ranger stopped us as we were putting the boat in the water and asked us if we had any alcohol on the boat, we said no, and then he informed us that it was not allowed on the lake. Not sure if the he just said this for his own personal reasons or that in fact alcohol is banned on the lake itself?
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-28-2004, 1:27 AM Reply   
Per the CHP if you get a DUI on a boat it dose not go on your driving record ! You will still get the 1,500 $$$ fine 6hrs in the drunk tank and the comm.service but it dose not go on your record !

Also I know shaver lake you can not have any ALCOHOL !!!
Old    walt            12-28-2004, 4:48 AM Reply   
Kim, I believe The DUI law for boating changes from county to county. And the counties that you only get a fine will count it as a prior if you do get a real DUI.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       12-28-2004, 5:22 AM Reply   
i can remember several years back when there where no drinking laws enforced on the water in my state, whether you were driving or not. now the driver can drink, but the legal limit is 0.1 (which is higher than the legal limit for driving a car 0.08). i can speak from experience and say that you can have several drinks and still be under 0.1, but i'm not saying it's the smart thing to do....
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2004, 5:54 AM Reply   
I think that Loveswater has a good point. Imagine if a driver of another boat ran over and killed your 12 year old son. Even it that driver had only one beer, I guarentee that almost any parent would have their attorney prove that the one beer made the driver a full DWI? and would want to seek the stiffest sentence possible. This isn't a typical Californian lookin for a lawsuit, this is somebody who sees things realisticly. My wife is in the liability insurance industry and she comes home and tells me all the horror stories about that people file and win. I choose not to drink, because our boat is full of 12-15 year olds and I don't think it is worth putting their lives in jeapordy, especially when they aren't my own kids. Just be carefull
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-28-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
No alcohol allowed on my boat. Being a former Investigator and responding to many incidents on the water, no amount mixes. The saddest case I responded to was a go-fast boat that flipped due to a turn on a wave. The driver could not recover fast enough - even though he was an experienced race driver trained for such a thing. His speed, according to the GPS replay was less than 40 mph - well within the performace of the boat in those conditions. The result: One dead, one will never walk again, one will have the mental ability of an 8-year old. The driver blew .03 30-minutes after the accident. The fines, penalties, and the civil lawsuit was the least of is problems. He had one beer about 30 minutes before shoving off. No food, just a bit of dehydration, one beer, one buddy, two hot chicks (one dead). Your decision. Make it one you can live with.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
I would also venture to guess that with a .03 BAC, the driver had more than 1 beer. Adult size body would metabolize the alcohol of one beer before he ever tested(assuming that it took at least 60 minutes before last drink).

I am not here to promote the use of alcohol while on the water....or off for that matter. That is a personal decision. If someone does not want alcohol on their boat, great. It is their boat and they make the rules.

If the driver of any boat, regardless of alcohol intake hit into my boat, let alone hurt a friend or family member.... I just don't see any situation that hitting another boat is an "accident". There is a 150' rule above wakeless speed here, hitting into another boat above wakeless speed, while following the laws, is going to take more than 1 beer.

I have a much bigger fear of inexperienced boat owners. Just my $.02

E.J.}
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
good point EJ, they are just as dangerous. sometimes I don't think they are as much inexperienced as they are just plain stupid and inconsiderate. Either way, alcohol just makes the situation magnified.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Even if someone hit your boat and killed someone after one beer, you would not be able to get them for drunk driving. One beer will not put you over the legal limit, or impair you enough to have caused the accident. It would have to be bad driving, or not paying attention. Don't get me wrong, you could still file a lawsuit, but not for DD. If I lived in Cali, and delt with the amount of traffic on the water that most of you do, I would not risk it either. Same goes if I had minors on the boat. If it is just me and my friends, then I will most likely have a couple of beers while hanging out.

(Message edited by psudy on December 28, 2004)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-28-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
jbjboc has it right. This is a loaded thread but here's my 2 cents...

Alcohol is allowed, encouraged, and sometimes a requirement on my boat. However, it is not consumed by the driver when driving or around driving time. No reason to penalize the whole group when you have a designated driver! No alcohol allowed seems awfully harsh to me. I have a young family, am an extremely defensive driver and avoid dangerous areas. That doesn't mean I can't have a beer on the sand bar while throwing horse shoes.

I've seen people die on the water before (last summer on the Colorado)and know drinking and/or stupidity + boating don't mix. The problem here is common sense (moderation) isn't so common.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-28-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
For those that think one or two beers won't impair, you need to know the following (taken from the Texas Boating Safety Course):

"Research has proven that one-third of the amount of alcohol that it takes to make a person legally intoxicated on land can make a boater equally intoxicated on the water."

"The effect of alcohol is increased by the natural stressors placed on your body while boating. Also, alcohol causes dehydration of your body. It takes less alcohol, combined with stressors, to impair an operator's ability to operate safely."

"Alcohol depresses the central nervous system and affects judgment and slows physical reaction time. Most people become slightly intoxicated after only one drink. Alcohol makes it difficult for you to pay attention, especially to multiple tasks. For example, it will be more difficult for you to keep track of two or more vessels operating in your area. This could become critical if you are placed in an emergency situation and must make a sudden decision."

"Alcohol can reduce the ability to distinguish and interpret colors, especially red and green."

"Alcohol contributes to about one-third of all boating accidents nationwide."

Drinking, even if you define it as "responsible" = too much opportunity to fail. Drink after, not during.

Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-28-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
dakid

shawn is right. alcohol is totally banned on and off the water at Folsom. That's why I don't go there anymore, besides most people on that lake are stupid enough with out alcohol.

It's obvious serious wakeboarders know how to drive with a 12 pack in them better than tubers and jetskiers drive sober

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
I will bet that you can find twice as many studies that dispute that load of crap, as you can that back it up.

(Message edited by psudy on December 28, 2004)
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-28-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
I guess I should respond to this since my video may have sparked the thread.

Like some other people have said, I do not condone getting completely trashed and driving. However, I am not opposed to having a drink or two throughout the day while on the water either (especially during the winter time when the waterways are empty).

The majority of the time, I only drink water or gatorade while I am out on the boat, but I do love to have a beer (or Union Point Mai Tai) once in a while as well.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
What video?
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-28-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Paul, this is the video:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=13179

There is a clip in the vid that shows one of the crew with a beer in his hand.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Christie,
23+mph,drinking,and an empty lake, are receipies for disaster. I was amazed that he could drive the boat straight at that speed!
I don't think that was what started all of this BS.
Old    justsomeguy            12-28-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
"Research has proven that one-third of the amount of alcohol that it takes to make a person legally intoxicated on land can make a boater equally intoxicated on the water."

So I drink a beer on shore, then step onto a boat, and all of a sudden I have the equivalent of three beer's worth of alcohol in my bloodstream?

I know Texas is a strange place but I had no idea it was that freaky.

I'm staying away from Texas from now on.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
OMG, I think I just slit my wrists cause this thread sucks ass.

Nevermind, I just watched Christie's Vid and I think i'll have a beer instead.
Drunk, "under the influence", sober.....it is only illegal if YOU GET CAUGHT
Here is a reason we drink in Texas on the water..(you would drink too)

Sorry Bastard......
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2004, 6:00 PM Reply   
Our Friend

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-28-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
What the ?????? Is that guy for real? Why on earth would any guy where a thong at the lake or any place for that matter. DO they think they look good? Gives me the creeps
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2004, 5:14 AM Reply   
Gotta love the liquid courage

Thought this was funny(by FLYINHI)"Bud Light Presents: Real Men of Genuis. Today we salute you Mr. wetsuit-less winter rider. Ignoring everything you know about the human body, you single handedly brave the cold and face exposure all so you dont have to lay down that 100 bucks you've been saving for a wetsuit.
(ohh what a cheapskate)
Sure you're out there busting whirley birds and raleys while all the guys in the boat are staring at you funny because you've turned blue, but that doesnt bother you because you're comfortably numb. So crack open open an ice cold Bud Light before you hit that water because the alcohol in your blood will be the only thing that keeps you warm.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Does this mean if we go to Hyco Saturday we can watch you ride with goose bumps???????????
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-29-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
It is amazing to me that virtually all people overestimate their ability to perform critical tasks while under the influence of alcohol. As part of my training, we had to drive a simulator that had a simple lane change with speed reduction. Not a problem sober. One drink, 30 minutes later, and no one passed out of the group of 12. It took at least 90 minutes before the first person passed again. I expected that I would be able to perform the task easily weighing in at 225, but I did not pass until nearly 2 hours later. I felt fine and would have swore that I could do anything. The facts were otherwise. You have to make your own decision. Make a good one.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
That is amazing.....was the "one drink" a 4 finger whiskey?

E.J.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
foo, feed me enough liquid courage & i'll show ya more than just some goose bumps !
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-29-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
I drive all the time with one beer in my system and I can change lanes just fine. You must of had a group of light weights.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-29-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Soo Xgirlwhen are we going out?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-29-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
drinking and boat driving doesnt make sense(any driving at all....my opinion)

considering that other drivers are drinking also is a very scary proposition on the water.

there are ALOT of physcial/mental checkpoints to be covered as soon as a person gets in the water to be pulled (not to mention trust- there has to be some trust between the driver and the boarder)let alone driving..

the people that i go out with are good friends and family. it would be very, very hard to live with oneself if a accident were happen because the driver wasnt at the top of their game because of alcohol (other boat drivers that are drinking REALLY compounds the problem)

it takes a bigger and better person NOT to drink and be responsible

than to drink and blame the alcohol if something goes wrong...

(Message edited by clubmyke on December 29, 2004)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I would like to state that I don't think someone is a better person than I because they choose to not have a beer at the lake. I also would like to think I take responsibility for my actions.

Other than a few questionable decisions on taking someone home for the evening, I don't even think my friends make alcohol related excuses.... Even then they have been smart enough to take a cab....

E.J.
Old    wake_junkie247            12-29-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I only use "Bud" without the "Weiser"!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-29-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Not to bash on anybody that drinks on the boat because occasionaly I'll have one or two and not to even mention without MJ I can't even function properly but the key is RESPONSOBLY.If you choose to drink and drive just always keep in mind that as little as you might have consumed it will still effect your reaction time so be a defensive driver if you choose to have a couple beer or whatever...!!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-29-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
if someone has a couple of drinks and drives - that is their perogative and others on the boat should be aware if it. pray nothing go wrong or any accidents occure, because if it does - u r sol....

imo it takes a really big person not to drink while others do and take responsability for the driving..and others should not "raz" that person for not drinking...

i like boating...it is a fun sport and great way for a workout and entertainment... but there there is a HUGH responsability that goes with owning/driving a boat...

having multiple boat drivers that are drinking (even one or two drinks) on a lake is a really scary proposition. the response time is off by a minimum of 2 x 2..

alot has do with priorites and it there is a balance between having fun and safety. when it comes to friends and family ( and setting a good example for the kids)- i'll take 60% safety and 40% fun (keep in mind this is my opinion- kinda goes with the old saying- rather be safe than sorry)
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-30-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
I had a buddy that got a Boating While Intoxicated down at Nacimiento(sp?) He got pulled over because he had a few chicks on his sun deck while driving 5mph in a no wake zone. He admitted to having a few beers a couple hours before. The ranger said he was pulled over because of concerns of CO poisioning of "women on the back of the boat." He was cuffed and stuffed and went to jail. Needless to say I don't drink and drive. You never know what you are gonna get pulled over for.
J$
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-30-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
That is no lie John boy.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-30-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
My brother and I are boat owners and riders.....no drinking prior or during the outing....anything after that is fine. It is not us that I am worried about, it is the ones who decide to drink while boating. How is boating and drinking any different than drinking and driving....why is it so hard not to consume alcohol when you need all of your faculties at 100%? Not harping on anyone in particular, just not sure why this would even be a question....the answer seems pretty simple. Keep in mind that a good majority of people on this site who watch these movies are underage and very impressionable.

Go big, have fun and play safe.....GI Joe!
Old    xxxstar            12-30-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
We never drink on my boat!
It is water
Old    xxxstar            12-30-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
Especially around the DNR.
Old    justsomeguy            12-30-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
"Keep in mind that a good majority of people on this site who watch these movies are underage and very impressionable. "

Amen! Heaven forbid they see a 2 second spot with an adult holding an adult beverage on a boat.

Imagine how HORRIBLE it would be if they saw 30 seconds worth of beer pushing by cutesy animal characters or humorous commercials while watching TV.

Oh wait...
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-30-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
Just......since you see a need to quote me, please go ahead and debate your point on why drinking and boating is a positive thing to be showing youngsters......since it is obviously not a negative issue for you.
Old    justsomeguy            12-30-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
"Just......since you see a need to quote me, please go ahead and debate your point on why drinking and boating is a positive thing to be showing youngsters......since it is obviously not a negative issue for you. "

I would rather discuss your ludicrous claim that the bit in the movie in question is some kind of big deal, when kids these days are bombarded with alcohol ads a good deal of the time if they watch TV.

That's just plain silly, and you should know better, assuming that you're an adult.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-30-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
Can't we all get a long and watch Melanie's goose bumps++++

Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-31-2004, 1:39 AM Reply   
So let me get this right: it's irresponsible to drink, even if you're drinking responsibly? Or is it that responsible drinking in this occasion means no drinking?

Just to try to crack this nutcase one more time...

It's not okay to get hammered and drive. Not even when you're the only boat on the lake and nobody's riding. No dispute there.

However, I had a beer with lunch today and drove to Lowes. You beer nazis have been calling that drinking and driving. Yep, that was me out there in South Corona, driving under the influence of alcohol. It'd be okay to have a head cold, to drive during smoking cessation, to be talking to your secretary, but not after ONE BEER with hot soup, right?

Driving a car in town is so much more dangerous than driving a boat on an empty lake. At any time, a little kid could jump from behind a car and your response time better be quicker than shizzle or someone's going down.

On a quiet lake, the only thing that's happening that fast is floating debris that at absolute worst case could cause your boat to sink. Everything else on the water (non-crowded lake, lake that you've been to before, boat that you know, people you trust) is friggin SLOW MOTION. Even the hot-rod boats should be seen coming from miles away.

Here's the thing that's really pissing me off with this beer nazi stuff: how come none of you are condemning loud music, cold air, hot chicks, children or any of the other DISTRACTING, RESPONSE SLOWING, COMMUNICATION IMPEDING factors that a boat owner/operator might be subject to? Why the condemnation for one distractor but not the others?

Nobody here is suggesting that driving hammered is okay, but many of you are suggesting that one beer you thought of having WILL be the difference between life and death. Gimme a break. We're talking SANs, not F-22s or McLaren Hondas.

How come none of you "not to call you irresponsible or nothin" dudes has stated that if you want to keep your passengers safe, the best thing to do would be to go out ONLY when the crowd's zero.

Whichever one of you thinks that a <1 drink/hour on a quiet day driver is more irresponsible than ANY driver out at any SoCal lake during the summer months needs to have the TSA perform one of them civil rights-abusing exams on you.

ANY rider being towed at Parker or Perris or Elsinore during the summer is at infinitely greater risk than one being pulled by even a >1 drink/hour driver on a calm lake.

Throw in some of them JL Audio speaks, some killer amps, boards/towers/DV cams/tint/bow-riders obstructing your vision....how bout fumbling with the iPod? Why, oh simple beer nazi, is it okay for all those distractions, but not the LEGAL, JUDICIOUS use of alcohol?

"Well, Freak, just stay away from me when you've been drinking." That's great. I had a beer yesterday, does that count?

Hey, just make sure you keep less than a half-dozen people on your boat, cuz there's no way you're gonna spot me floating in the middle of the lake getting my (<1 beer/hour) chill on when your whole field of vision is obstructed, you're paying attention to three different conversations and the guy behind your boat is pulling tantrums to blind listening to 1.21 gigawatts (RMS) of your favorite party tunes, all while you're keeping in touch with the world on your IPaq.

Keep the responsible use of liquor in perspective. Oh yeah, if you're driving without regard to the law (no-wake violations, chicks on sundecks, assymetric loading, over loading, loud tunes, fish-boat-swamping, etc.), the police can/should/will use whatever they can to take your passengers out of harm's way. Just rememeber, it's not, "driving with detectable amounts of liquor", it's "driving while intoxicated", with the difference being demonstrated performance - you could very well be quite safe at 0.04 one day and be set free, while on another day, you might be buzzed at 0.02. Johnny Law has the power to pull you in for BACs over the legal limit (no-brainer there), and also if he thinks you're dangerous even if you're under that legal limit.

Guess why he might think you're dangerous? (see list of beer nazi-accepted actions above).

As far as that 'if there's an accident, you're gonna have to live with it' litmus test, let me ask you this: when it goes down for you, are you gonna take responsibility for riding on a summer weekend day? For having your tunes too loud? For having a seven-year-old on the end of a rope anyway? How bout for riding in the Delta or other confines where life-ending rocks are within the reach of every rider at all times?

Like it or not, some people still enjoy the responsible use of alcohol. It's a risk to be managed, not much different than music or ballast or narrow waterways.

Did you know that you can get written for DUI on a skateboard now? On a bike? On a horse? That should be a clue that the pendulum has swung a little too far. About as far as "the only responsible use is not to use".
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-31-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
Can I get an Amen from the choir!!!!!!!!

Get on 'em Derek...

E.J.

P.S. That there may be the post of the year.