Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-08-2014, 10:56 PM Reply   
I'm looking for some opinions from people and hopefully some of you have been behind both boats. As a strictly wakesurfing boat, which will put out the biggest, best wave on both sides? I have a RZ2 that i'm very happy with but i've been considering selling it as i think i can make a decent profit on it from what i paid for it a few months ago. My thought was to maybe replace it with a older Avalanche in order to save myself a few dollars which would make my wife pretty happy. Any thoughts? After riding a RZ2 all summer will i be happy with a Avalanche?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2014, 4:54 AM Reply   
It depends on which years and which features both boats have.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-09-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
Isnt the Avy hull exactly the same for all years, as well as the RZ2? So hypothetically the surf wave should be the same. Might be a small difference depending on things like the prop or trans, but for the most part a 02 Avy should make a almost identical wave to almost new one. Same with a RZ2, with the exception of the VX which i don't have. I'm not concerned at all with the interior or options, just the potential of the boat to surf behind.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 RZ2 it has a cooler behind the drivers seat. The 2012 and newer ones don't. What that means is you can run a continuous ballast bag from the rear lockers all the way to the drivers seat. Which will hold approximately 1200 lbs. I run a 800 lb bag in the rear locker and a 750 lb sack in the cooler and roped to the starboard side rear . It will hold approximately 550 to 600 lbs. It will sink the Tige logo under water. I run 300 lbs in the rear off side and 800 lbs up front. At 12.8 my and taps on 1 it will create a 20' long surf able wave.As you increase the taps the wake gets steeper and shorter.On the port side you can produce the same wave.The only difference is it's not as sensitive to taps adjustments. Usually run taps on 3 or 4. I've surfed a lot of boats but haven't surfed an AVALANCHE. So I can't comment on them.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-10-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
Got a 14 avalanche and it surfs great. Haven't been behind a tige so can't comment. Currently run only a 750 in the rear and it surfs great with only 2 people in the boat. Had 12 people in the boat and we were surfing rope less with no ballest weight by adjusting the trim tab only. We are beginners and the added speed/ weight and wave at 12mph was way to much for us beginners. Absolutely huge. Really look forward to eventually riding it once the enzo sacs get installed. Not to sure of the difference in hull design when compared to the older ones.

Last edited by rockballer; 08-10-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
They both make great wakes but they are different shapes.
The RZ2 has a steeper transition and a more defined lip.
The Avalanche has a mellower transition and a rounder lip.

Both wakes can have plenty of push and length if weighted properly.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-11-2014, 11:27 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I was hoping a few around here had been behind both. I have a RZ2 now that we run heavily weighted for surfing and i'm very happy with it. I'm just considering selling it and getting a older Centurion or something else a little cheaper. Seems like we have little time for the lake these days so i hate having so much cash tied up in a boat.