Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
looking to get the boat de-winterized this week, and planning to put new batteries in the boat, as we had some real problems keeping a charge at the end of last year.

I'm planning on picking up some Optima batteries at Costco this week, and i want to make sure i pick up the right ones. I run 3 amps on the boat right now, with two batteries and a perko switch. So, i'd like for both to have the power to start the boat as well as run the system.

I'm assuming this means I should get two of the Optima blue-top dual purpose (starting and deep cycle) batteries? It seems pretty straightforward, but just want to double check to make sure.

Thanks.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
I have never had a problem using a Marine Deep cycle battery to start the boat. IMO you you are on the right track 3 of the same batterys.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
I know where you can get blue tops for 120.00 e-mail me for store.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-02-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
e-mail sent, thanks. i'm assuming that you're talking about the D34m, i believe that's the one I want.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
If you can get the d34m's for $120 let me know, I want in on that.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-02-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
I saw that Costco had the Optima batteries for really cheap. Can't remember if they were blue tops though.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-02-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
A little thread jack here -

Can someone tell me if I can use a battery maintainer to keep Optima batteries charged during the winter? I currently use a battery maintainer on my lead acid deep cycle used to turn the motor and gauges. I have two additional Optima Blue tops (D34m) for the stereo.

Thanks
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-02-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Tom-from what I've read and heard AGM batteries(Optima) dont like to be trickle charged and can prematurely fail. A 3-step auto charger is recommended for battery life longevity. They maintain their charge longer then a lead-acid so basically charge them at seasons end and forget about them.