Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
How well do MB's turned down exhaust tips work at surf and wakeboard speeds? Anyone ride behind one?
Attached Images

Last edited by duffymahoney; 05-19-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-19-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
I have surfed behind them a bunch. I have never felt the need for FAE on an MB and believe the turndown tips work. However, those that have FAE, swear by it. I think the only way to answer that question is to have a formal experiment conducted.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
So you can't see or smell anything? Do you see bubbles coming up at wakeboard speeds? Hows the exhaust sound level?

I had an FAE on my boat, I pulled it off and i am fabricating my own turn down tips.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-19-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
At wakeboard speeds the tips are out of the water, so no bubbles. MB's exhaust sound really nice, then again its a PCM and it has a muffler. Almost silent in the boat.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
My malibu has the down turned tips also and I can still see exhaust. Probably better than not having them, but not as good as FAE
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I installed the Malibu tips and they are a no go on my boat. They are out of the water at both wakesurf and wakeboard speeds on my Ski Centurion Avalanche.

My new tips are going to be 4" just like the malibu silent rider tips. I plan on doing 2- 45 degree angles and going "1/2 below the bottom of the transom. I plan on having a slight tip angle (like the fae) so water isn't forced up at speed. Also having the tip below the transom to be squished to 2"x5" so it's not as big of a drag.
Attached Images

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-19-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
The MB tips have a full 90 degree turn down
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
I am planning 2- 45 degree turns so a total of 90. I have access to lots of 4" pipe but no way to bend it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-19-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
I surf behind the MB all the time. I have never seen or smelled any exhaust.

And my MB is the quietest boat I've ridden in.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-19-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
IXFE, does your boat have the CAT motor in it or the standard? The one in the pic is the non-CAT motor. I've had both and I never noticed any fumes surfing on either of them. I never felt FAE was necessary for the MB's with turn down exhaust.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
I have a cat motor on my avalanche. Ultra low is what the motor says
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-19-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I'm just affraid if the tips are not deep enough that the exhaust will just come back up when surfing. I am also affraid it will put wash in my very clean wave.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-19-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
I have never even gotten a wiff of fumes on my 2008 non FAE engine.

You're going to LOVE the surf wake, either side rocks! With just stock ballast.

I surf a lot with just my wife driving and my six year old son manning the rope. Stock ballast like I said, rocks with just the two of them aboard. Add some more crew aboard and you'll be spoiled!

Enjoy your bad ass MB
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-19-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
IXFE, does your boat have the CAT motor in it or the standard? The one in the pic is the non-CAT motor. I've had both and I never noticed any fumes surfing on either of them. I never felt FAE was necessary for the MB's with turn down exhaust.
I have the standard motor with the dual exhaust...

I have never spelled any fumes on this boat. To be honest, never even thought about it until reading this post. I just assumed all boats were this way.

Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-20-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
The turned down tips do not reduce the CO level. The FAE does. The FAE is also quieter.
They're your brain cells so you can do as you wish with them. I like to know my kids are getting all the safety I can give them, and still have fun.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-20-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Well I am planning on having mine deeper in the water. I had to remove my FAE because it caused wash in my wave.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
FAE reduces the CO level in the exhaust? Huh.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-20-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
The turned down tips do not reduce the CO level. The FAE does. The FAE is also quieter.
They're your brain cells so you can do as you wish with them. I like to know my kids are getting all the safety I can give them, and still have fun.
The FAE redirects exhaust into the water. The FAE itself does not reduce CO levels, it redirects it.

Mario-
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-21-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
The FAE reduces the CO level behind the boat, and in the boat while the boat is moving. There are measurable reductions in CO levels everywhere when the boat is moving. I hope that clarifies my short post above for you Dan.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
So nobody on here knows how far underwater I should go with the tips?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-24-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Here are those tips on a malibu.
Attached Images