Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-09-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Today I am finishing up a deal to buy a 99 Correct Craft Super Sport.
I looking at putting a new stereo system in the boat. How important is it to have waterproof amps?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
I dont think any manufacturer claims "waterproof". Water resistant is more like it. From the little I know you will probably be ok with a standard amp unless you are in salt or brackish water conditions then you will for sure want a marine spec amp.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-09-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Less important than where you mount them and how clean/dry you keep your boat.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-09-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
4 years of saltwater use with standard automotive amps and they still work fine.

Just mount them somewhere dry and you'll be fine.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-09-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
thats what i thought. thanks for the help guys.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-09-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Zach,

In a salt water environment a conformally coated amplifier is important due to airborn corrosion. In freshwater areas it would have more to due with how you're caring for your boat.

Direct water exposure to any amplifier, conformally coated or not, is often terminal. Getting water in an amplifier while its operational would be certain death. Nothing is totally waterproof.

Ditto to the above comments. Make sure the boat interior is dry before going under cover. Manage drainage of drink holders, overhead vents and other deckcap penetrations into the bilge. Mount amplifiers vertically and spaced off the sole for isolation from the occasional roller. Make sure wiring doesn't drop into an amplifier from overhead without a drip loop. Space the amplifier up off the mounting panel. Things to do.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-09-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
I have a four year old Kicker Amp that failed due to improper design for a marine environment. Water collected on the amp and left significant calcium deposits. The deposits shorted out the amp.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       12-09-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I've always opted for the marine amps, being in a high moisture environment all it takes is a millimeter corrosion to start before a pcb board can go haywire. But that's just me being cautious.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-09-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
i had a marine headunit and the exact non marine headunit took them apart and there was a piece plastic covering the board, thats all. may help with a drip but nothing else. i have been running the same memphis and kicker amps for 8 years in salt water.
Old     (mckid)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-10-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
as long as u got it up to the bow more under a seat u should be fine just be carefull where u put it cuz if u put it to far back then after a while of people comin into your boat wet itll start to drip down and get to the wires