Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-03-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Wanted to find out if anyone has done an oil change on this transmission? I have an '08 Supra 22V, not sure what model tranny other than it is a Walters. I know it takes ATF fluid. I was told to just suction out the old fluid out of the dipstick hole and re-add what you took out?

Does this sound right? any filter to clean?

Thanks
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-03-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
i question the tran fluid. tran fluid is hydraulic oil. a search here (which you could do for yourself) will answer.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Walter V drive is not the tranny. Are you wanting to change your V drive fluids or your tranny? V drive is typical 30 weight and Tranny is ATF. Be sure you know which is which. Incidentally they should both be done every 100 hours or once a season which ever comes first so you may as well do them both at the same time.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-03-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Like HnP said, the Walter is the V-drive. I'll bet the transmission is a Borg-Warner. Anyway, most all use Dexron trans fluid.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
This is the stuf I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF I think I got about 4, 4 1/2 quarts out last change. You have to fish the tube down several times to get it all...well close to it all.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-03-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ok, my bad... sorry for the confusion, this is my first boat. I was under the impression the "V-drive" unit was the transmission. I am looking to change my transmission fluid, but if I am going to do the trans. I am mind as well do the Vdrive too. And yes, the transmission is calling for ATF fluid.

Would the Vdrive (walters) be the same process of pumping the oil out and replacing? The manual says change transmission fluid at 100 hours and then every 500 hour intervals. On the transmission is there any filter to remove and replace or is just replacing the fluids good enough?

I located the transmission fluid dipstick, but have not found any type of dipstick for the vdrive? Does the Vdrive have a dipstick?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-03-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
V-drive does have a dipstick, it's located on the top, port side of the v-drive cooler. There is a drain plug on the lower corner, back port side.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
The dipstick won't really look like a dipstick either. You'll fill the V drive with a funky little elbowed fill spot in the top middle. You have to go real slow and will need a smallish funnel. If you can find your V drive manual which is pretty much a sheet it diagrams the drains, dipstick and fills.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Here is a link to the manual with a diagram and instructions. http://www.pearson424.org/manuals/VDrive/images/Page15_jpg.jpg
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Travis,

I just did this, both the v-drive & transmission in my 2002 Sanger v210. MY Walters V-drive is Model 26D. There should be a description plate on the port side of the front of the v-drive unit facing the bow (see pics). This plate will tell you the Walters model # and, on mine, tells what type of oil to use. In my case, straight 30wt oil. The type of oil per model is also outlined in the manual.

Upload

Upload

My model contains 2 pints of oil. I could not pump out nearly this much through the dipstick or filler top of the v-drive unit. (Looking at the schematic, I think some gearing gets in the way of the pump tube hitting the bottom). So, I used the drain plug located on the bottom of the unit, port side as Tige Mike notes.

I have the complete v-drive manual (pdf) that I can send you but it's big at 10MB's. PM me with an e-mail address that can handle attachments that size & I'll be glad to send it to you or break it into parts.

My transmission, one step from the v-drive closer to the stern of the boat with red dipstick on the starboard side, takes AFT III fluid per the Mercruiser 350 MAG manual (which I also have pdf if you need it). I simply pumped out the existing and re-filled with the amount per the manual and then checked by dipstick.

It's an easy deal. Good luck & have fun with it!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-03-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
Andy,

Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful. I will check through my manuals, I believe I have the walters manual. As far the transmission is concerned, were you able to pump all of the trans. fluid out of the tranny with a pump? I will probably just re-fill as much as I remove from the tranny. And there is no filter to replace in the transmission?

I am at work for a couple days, will have to wait until I get home and take another peek at everything to locate all the components.

Seems like a no-brainer, I know the dealer will probably want at least $200 to do this change.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-03-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
OK. I got schooled by experts. Andy, I noticed, your bilge is like kitchen counter clean. What maintenance practices do you do that makes your bilge so clean?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
Bilge clean: wipe everywhere you can reach with a rag. Toss the rage when done as it's usually too dirty to clean.

My dealer charges about $400 for annual maintenance. This last year, with business sucking in commercial real estate, I decided to do it myself & save the money.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/673372.html?1235595862
Old     (wrightcbw)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
Andy, Could you be so kind as to email me the tranny and v-drive manual. My boat, which I bought new, never came with one. The Supreme dealer said supreme didn’t ship manuals anymore (supreme sent me the "owners" copy for my mercruiser black scorpion. I told him the photo copy I got when I bought the boat was unacceptable.

So hear is my real problem. I have a leaky transmission; I am getting tranny fluid (pink) in the bilge. I hadn't been paying close attention to the oily matter that was coming out of the bilge, my bad, and I got to the point that my transmission wasn’t engaging very smoothly. I pulled off the lake and found that I was down a fair amount of fluid. Supreme dealer said that much transmission consumption was normal. I took it to another dealer, and he said the T handle on the transmission reservoir was not no tight and it was purging out the neck. The T handle cap doesn’t have threads, but the neck does. This seems very weird to me. How do I ensure the t handle on the velvet drive is tight?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-14-2009, 3:43 AM Reply   
The dipstick has a rubber stopper that if you turn the T handle clockwise the stopper expands and holds dipstick in hole and when you turn it counter clockwise the stopper contracts so you can remove it