Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-07-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Tried to teach the niece and nephew to wakeboard again this weekend. They are 13 and 15, great athletes, and unable to get up after 20 pulls. I've taught 50+ people to ride and never had this problem...So the question is...I've got an old barefoot boom that I've used years ago to teach others to ski and barefoot..Think it would help them wakeboard????
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-07-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
might help. never heard of it being done either.

i have thought of another last resort method, but i have not used it yet. you can throw it on the pile of methods to try if you want.

have the "student" sit on a tube with the board on so that he/she is already mostly up so to speak

But, MY most favorite teaching method is now this.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/615245.html?1218940973
Teach by example has not failed me yet, but i also have only recently started using the method
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-07-2008, 11:52 PM Reply   
I was a wakeboard instructor at a camp in Arkansas all summer and taught hundreds of kids to wakeboard in the 2 months I was there.

All of our boats had booms on them, it was company policy, and they help so much!

Just go 15 miles an hour have them start in a more out of the water position and keeping their toes up, and usually once they get a feel for what it's like being on a board they can get it deepwater. We always used deepwater first but I never had a kid that couldn't get up on the boom then not get up deepwater.

And we had kids from 7-17 at the camp.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-08-2008, 3:36 AM Reply   
Taught my 7 year old twins on the boom...........then a 5 foot handle on the boom...........then to the back of the boat. Honestly, both got up the first time behind the boat.
Old     (mrice)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Hi:

I am a 48 year old and began riding last year. Tried to get up about 20 times with no luck and finally took a lesson on the boom at the local wakeboard school. After that lesson on the boom, I got the 'feel' and got up no problem after that.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-15-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
i learned to ride on a boom. it was very easy. i had a cast on one arm all the way up to my shoulder too.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
My family went for the first time this summer. Mild to no success on the day one trip. We watched this how to video on youtube and everyone was up by the third pull on the second day. Ages 40, 39, 11, 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0nHR3ubdmo

This made perfect sense to us.

Good luck.

T
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-15-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
the by example helped me big time but one of the things that helped get some of my friends up was shortening the rope to like 20 ft or right behind the boat and drag them up slowly its more controlled and it gives them a very real feeling of how to stand up and keep balance. the person doesnt even have to get up all the way as long as he/she gets close and gets that feeling!