Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bigski52)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-07-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
I'm in the process of looking for a boat and have a few tough choices I need to make so I'm asking your opinion. I am looking at different boats that I want to buy and set up for boarding. I'm currently looking at a 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS. I know this is a V drive but I've heard these boats don't really throw off a great shaped wake even when slammed with ballast. Everything I've read says the wake is too rampy and doesn't have a lip to it. I am also looking at a "95 Sport Nautique (direct drive). I've read that these boats have the exact same hull as the Super Airs up to 2006 so this has to have the optimal wake but it's still a direct drive. Either way I'm wanting to put about 500-700lbs in the bow and more in the rear for the nautique. I was thinking I could take out the back seat of the nautique and add a fat sac. I will also have to throw a tower on either boat and perfect pass on the Mastercraft but the Nautique already has perfect pass. I know I'm comparing "apples to oranges" but I was just asking for some differing opinions so tell me what you guys think.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
the nautique will require less weight to make a great wake. i'm not real familar with that year maristar.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-07-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have a 95 sport nautique. The wake is awesome, but it requires a lot of weight (3000 lbs +) and gets crowded. Even though it has the same hull it is a little toned down from the 210 in size and steepness but is still pro level. I put about 2000 lbs in the back (fly high fat seat with either people or 2 more not quite full 350 lb. bags on top of that), a 540 lb. bag in the locker (as full as I can get it), and the fly high bow bag to about 800 lbs. (not full). I usually have about 2 passengers, and if more, I take out some of the bags in the back. I also had to upgrade the prop. Don't have money for a tower or perfect pass but I wish I had both.

I was also tempted to get a Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS, but a few things bad about it: the hull is not trusted shape for wakeboarding that I know of, there isn't tracking fins on the boat (so expect a little sway when you're driving), and the construction of the nautique (i feel) is way stronger than mastercraft. The good things is that it is a v-drive so you will have lots of extra space for people and storage. I am sure you can get the wake to a decent size and shape with a lot of trial and error and by changing the prop.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
Between those two, Nautie al the way
Old     (dgaugler)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-07-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
I have a '96 200VRS and I would rate the wake as 7.5 out of 10. It does take a little weight but you'll find you have way more room with V-drive because you can put most of the weight in the rear locker and just have bow sack or have few people sit up front.
Old     (cibolasam)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-07-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
I have a 97 Sport and would'nt trade it for a new 210. Well maybe.. All in all you can't go wrong with the Nautique.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Indmar V PCM, PCM all the way.
Old     (bigski52)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-08-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I also like the Nauti because it is equipped with the GT-40 and it also has far less hours (500 v. 1400) but I am more familiar myself with the Chevy 350 than the Ford 351 and plan on doing as much of the repairs as possible. The Nautique also has perfect pass but it's also about 2 grand more and a little out of my price range as I'm ballin' on a budget. If the Nautique was a Super Sport I would have already bought it because I have only heard great things about the wake on these things.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
The Ford 351 is easy to work on, on the rare occassion you will need to. I can understand why you'd be very familiar with a Chevy 350, because you were probably working on it all the time.

While I have never been in or boarded behind a Maristar, there is generally a reason why an entire line of boats is significantly cheaper than other boats from that same manufacturer or competitors. The reason for the Maristar is, real or imagined, the perception that it cannot throw a great wake. This is why it (a v-drive) is cheaper than the Nautique direct drive, and why, if you buy it, you will have to sell it for less than similar year Nautique D-drives (or Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra, etc. D-drives that have good wakeboard wakes).