Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old    alanp            05-11-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
i came up a little short on an ohh and got knocked the @!@#$ out. i dont remember a thing before or until about 1/2 hour after, dizzy, nausea etc. i went to the hospital but started to feel better so i left. any idea how long i should stay off the board?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
u should go back to the hospital and be checked out. that's a pretty severe concussion. better safe than sorry, right?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-12-2007, 2:07 AM Reply   
dude i would give it about 2 weeks ive had 4 concussions 1) feel down cement stairs at 3yo 2)went over the handle bars on a jump on my bike and brike my helmet, intrenal bleeding out of school for a month and 1/2 at 10yo 3) hit a pole dont ask, hit my head and broke nose at 17yo 4)carve boarding down a hill and got high speed wablles at 40+mph sepreated sholder 6 stickes in head and had dermabrasion done on my sholder at 19yo youll be fine in about 2 weeks. concussions really arent that big of a deal you just have to be careful the first 28 hours.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2007, 5:00 AM Reply   
2 weeks from any contact activity. Go to the doctor especially if you still are experiencing any symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea, memory loss or loss of balance. Since this happened last night I hope you had someone wake you every so often to ensure you were ok.

Do this test: Put your feet together, close your eyes and spread your arms to your side. Touch your right index finger to your nose. Then your left. Repeat this with each finger to see if you experience any loss of balance. Have someone ask you some easy qustions such as who the president is. If you experience any problems I would go to the hospital to be safe. Then have someone ask you who the vice president is. If you know this answer then you obviously did not attend public schools.

It never hurts to be safe with brain injuries so I would suggest going to the doctor. I am not a medical professional, just a dad with kids who fall alot.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Welcome to the club. I got KO'd last year on a HS 3. Didn't have the nausea, but all the other symptoms sound familar. Guys on the boat said I just sat on the sun deck for nearly ten minutes and when I got back in the boat, I kept asking the same questions. Might not of been the smartest idea, but I was back in the water the next day.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Ahhh the drunk test. Walking backwards with your eyes closed is another good test for balance.
But then again not many people can walk backwards with their eyes closed very well sober either.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-12-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Best thing I've seen is the ImPact test. Try this site,www.impacttest.com and look for someone in your area that can give the test. It's pretty amazing. My son got a severe knock and this test pinpointed where the blow was exactly. They will monitor you once a week until the testing indicates that the brain bruise is gone, then you are cleared for activity again. pretty cool stuff. The test is a cognitive test on a computer not anal probing or anything. gluck.
Old    alanp            05-12-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
also fwiw i wasnt wearing a helmet. i usually always do. i wonder the result if i had been.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-12-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Thank for the site gluck...great resource.
Old     (shortywakeman)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Same thing happened to me last year, came up short and don't remember the rest, I lost about 1-2 hours of my memory and my parents said I was out of it, acting as if I was drunk, and not being myself at all. I figured I was alrite so I decided to go ride the next morning, I figured if I didn't I would be too scared to do it again. I definetly noticed the lack of balance and a lack of cordination for the next week while at school. Still never got it checked out, though I guess if it happens again, and is serious enough, I should. I also think I may have had another one about 3 weeks ago, but I remember everything so I figure it wasn't bad.

Will a helmet prevent a concussion? I don't really want to do any serious damage to my brain. Thanks for your advice.
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-12-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
The next day, I got smoked in the head by a pitching mmachine pumping 90 and I was good.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-12-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Bryce - i want to say that a helmet would help prevent a concussion. I've had some pretty nasty crashs on backrolls and hs 3's and never have had any issues with my head when wearing my helmet. The boys downstairs is another story...
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your wreck Alan...Ill be out there next weekend if you wanna pull or wanna come by for an adult beverage or 4 lol
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
I would give it at least until saturday May 19th 6:00 am. That would be my best quess. I would also predict that you'll be riding behind a 2000 SAN.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Oh yea and about 500#'s of lead.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-13-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
concussions can be serious and really should be checked out by a physician. With that being said, I honestly cant count how many concussions I've had and I never went to the Dr. for any of them. I used to knock myself out every few months when I was racing motocross. The last concussion I had was bad enough that it altered my hand writing. It has gotten better, but not 100%.
Old    alanp            05-13-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
i still had a minor headache today so i didnt ride.

chris & andrew ill be ready to go next weekend. helmet in tow this time
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
Alan...my guess from what I know about concussions is that you are NOT ready to ride yet. sorry to be the grump that tells you. It usually takes several weeks. But, here's the cliff notes version of whats goin on, your brain is bruised just like a bruise on any other part of your body. And until it goes away your are more likely to get another concussion with even a slight knock. if you wait until it's all healed, the ImPact testing can tell you that, then you are no more likely to get a concussion than anyone else. That is counter to what we have all been told all these years. This is all newly discovered stuff. They used to say 3 bad concussions and you should quit sports. Not anymore, but you have to let it heal. So...let it heal. Nuff said. But I'm not a Dr. and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
what were you trying when you ate it?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-14-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
I would not ride for 2 weeks. I've had 3 concusions. The first one was so bad I had a headache for 3 weeks, could not move my head side to side for a week. Six months later I came up short on a raley in rough water---bam, out cold! I tried to ride 2 days later and took a mediocre fall on a toe 5--out again! I should not have riden until I had fully recovered. In your current state, a seemingly normal fall could render you unconscious, face down in the water--NOT GOOD!! Wait, take your time, summer in not even here yet.
Old    alanp            05-14-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
thanks for the heads up guys, pun intended.

lyle i was trying an ohh(other hand hoochie)
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
sounds like you got alot of info, but here's my story. Last year got some crazy air and some how geeked and landed on the back of my head, one week later almost the exact samething happend! I didnt feel all that bad after that one just dizzy. I then started reading about secound impact syndrome! I guess some "unlucky" people are killed when this happens. I decided to finish the rest of the year wearing a helmet, Kinnda looks and feels funny but I wanna be around to see my two sons ride.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-14-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
I saw this today. Just somthing to think about.
http://www.hbo.com/realsports/stories/2007/episode.122.s1.html
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-14-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
If you don't go to the hospital, you could end up writing like Michael!
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-14-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
As far as wearing a helmet preventing a concussion, it may help, but they still happen, I got knocked out last summer on a bs ts 180, wearing one. I have had my share of concussions wrestling, from hitting the same spot on my head. and eventually even with light impact I was seeing stars. So don't push it, compound concussions are bad. But I think that the rule of thumb the neurologist I talked with told me was to not do anything that would risk impact for two weeks after your symptoms stopped (I.E. the headache you had today counts as a symptom). sounds like you had a pretty bad one, and I wouldn't doubt if you have a headache for a while. But good luck! I hope you feel better.
Old    110outlet            05-15-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
If you go to see a Dr. based off your signs and symptoms they will usually just tell you that you had a concussion and maybe give it a grade for the seriousness of it. If it was really bad they would send you for a CT scan, usually time line is around 2 weeks or so for rest, but if ya have symptoms durning your rest then you need to go back to re-evaluated, things like random falls or sensitivity to light waking up with nausea or confusion. If you get those go back becasue it may be a bleed in the brain vs concussion. Not good. I wear a helmet now when trying new tricks tell i figure out how to land and fall from the trick, Ive had one to many diggers.