Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-05-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
I am pretty damn good at drinking beer but I have no idea what I am doing making beer. My girlfriend bought me one of the MR Beer beer kits so I am giving that a try today. I am going to use one of their beers that is all setup where all I have to do is sterilize the utensils/beer vat thing, add a can of some crap and a bag of some crap to water and let it ferment. After I do this though I would like to get into it some more and try my own stuff. A couple questions

1) can I use the beer keg thingy for future beer good enough or is it just not going to cut it? If not what do I need?

2) where do you buy the ingrediants that go into beer making if you aren't just using this kit stuff?

Really, I would love to hear about anybody else's experiences, tips, etc...
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-06-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
My husband and I brew quite a bit.....we started with a kit set up and quickly upgraded to larger capacity with better results.

we have a kegerator that will fit 3 five gallon keys or one 15 gallon. We brew at home and fermnet it in a climate controlled closet and then keg it.

Midwest Brewing Supply company. online and catalog is great. They have everything you could want or need to brew. They sell better kits than most places and equipment and their staff is VERY helpful. They also sell supplies for extract brewing kits, which are more simple to learn on. Once you are ready you can also buy all grain brewing supplies from them.
We live in northern CA and also have a great somewhat local shop that supplies the hobby.

We have made a few IPA;s, brown, porter, stout, and now a red....all were extract kits from Midwest. Our next bath will be all grain and likely a brown.

It is a fun hobby and a little mad scientist. You can make it as involved or simple as you like.

Have fun!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-07-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
I started with the Mr. Beer kit and made several batches with their extracts. Just gathering the parts to go to 10-gallon all grain batches. Bottling is a pain so I keg and have a chest freezer that will hold 3X15 gallon kegs (commercial beers) and 2X5 gallon kegs (homebrew). Currently have an IPA, Kölsch, and Dry Cider on tap. Just got a bushel of pears so I'm going to make perry.

For the first go around just be focused on learning the process. Sanitation practices are key to a good outcome. Also, controlling the fermentation temperatures help. I have a few local Homebrew shops in town that has extracts and grain but Midwest is a good supplier though most the online stores are good and I mix things up depending on price.