Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
dude, ive tried to show and tell the guy how to pop out tha hole, but he can never do it.

it rides everything else to a T, but cant seem to get up on the wakeboard. i really want him to start wakeboarding so he'll get the fever and we can go more...ha ha...that way i can get better!

QUESTION: how hard is it to start from the dock??

and how the heck do you do it?
Old    funkytown            08-21-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
There are a few instructional videos out there that can help you out. Go to your local shop and look for Detention, or Higher Learning, or The Book.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/330974.html
I found that by using the search function. Under the sponsor banners, actually under the word "Sponsors." Its awesome to see new cats feeling the sport the way you are. There's a lot of really good info that's been discussed on here. may help you answer a lot of these questions. Have fun man!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Have him sit on the ground (in a simulated deepwater start), throw him the handle and you pull him up. Regardless of his size if he pushes with his legs you'll be able to pull him up to a standing position. This is the sensation he should be feeling (push with your legs). If he's pulling with his arms trying to force it you'll never get him up.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ya, like Adam said, just remind him that as the water is pushing against the bottom of the board, he kind of wants to keep his legs in that bent position (pushing back against the water in a way, but NOT straightening his legs). Make sure his arms are on the outside of his knees, not the inside. And make sure he stands up out of the water BEFORE he pulls the rope to his hip/turns. (Most people I've seen have trouble getting up are trying to turn the board before they're all the way up.) He'll get it!
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
yeah... but what about a dock start???

seems easy but how do you tell the driver to gas it?

slow fast...

should you give the signal?

should you hang your feet in the water or jump from the dock?

so many questions...sorry guys
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
nevermind guys....i clicked the link that nacho pulled up and found the info i needed..

thanks bro...
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-21-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
the best tip that i read before i got up was to point your toes down towards the bottom of the lake/river. the board will eventually plane and then you just stand up. also the tip about not standing up too soon is a key as well as you can actually just ride sideways for a bit.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
cool...

ill try it too and tell him that...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Pulled up 10, 11, 12 and 13 year old kids for the first time this weekend. Each were up and riding within two or three attempts.

Get up sideways. Ass on your heels. Arms straight. Don't push with legs. Don't pull with arms. Start the boat moderately slow.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
ok...ill try that..

thanks..
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
It really helped to simulate it at the swim platform before the real deal -- have the rider put the board up against the swim platform while you pull the rope making sure the rider compresses (ass on heels; knees on chest) and does not push with legs or pull with arms. Once up, have the rider go goofy or regular and momentarily drop the back hand to gain stability.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-21-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
stoked- dock starts are a breeze if you already know how to ride. for a beginner i would think it would be kind of hit or miss. if you're up for trying it, a helmet wouldn't be a bad idea the first couple of times, just in case you fall back right after you start.
Old    stoked409            08-21-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
i got skills...i dont think i need a helmet

im just worried about the boat going too fast or too slow...
Old    nate_b            08-21-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
That reminds me of my friend who tried out wakeboarding. He couldn't get up and on the like 15th try he finally did. Then he adjusted his shorts, face planted and never got up again that weekend.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
apparently your friend didn't have skillz! (j/k)

(Message edited by kylielogan on August 21, 2006)
Old    stoked409            08-22-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
yeah the dude loves his freakin' one ski...

he can kneeboard like a champ too..

cant wakeboard a lick though...ive tired and tired to get his butt up...then he gives up...pisses me off...

i never quit, i hate when people just give up..
Old     (loudah)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-22-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Stoked form your previous posts, my advice is to stay the HELL away from dock starts your first priority should be to learn basics, wake to wake balance, if you can master those then switch it up and try some dock starts otherwise your probably gonna split your wig on the dock! Just my .02$
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-22-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
you can also watch some instructions on totalvids.com. Although I generally end up buying the DVD, total vids allows a preview for cheap.
http://www.totalvid.com/
Old    nate_b            08-22-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Can your bro get up on one ski? I thought slaloming was twice as hard to get up on than a wake board. Maybe just have him try to get up and stay sideways like a butterslide and then turn?