Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    cttampa            03-31-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone new of any boats with a nice V-drive in this price range. I live in Tampa and the closet one I found is in Ohio (Nautique Excel). Has anyone ridden behind this boat? Have photos of the wake? Is it a nice wakeboarding boat? Anything I should look for if I go demo it?

CT
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-31-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
I think you might be able to get a nice 1999 or so Super Air Nautique for that, or maybe a Mastercraft Pro-Star 209. Both are very nice boats, and with some weight, very capable of having a huge wake.

Just a guess though.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have heard that the excel it a pretty good wakeboard boat. In that price range I think that the excel is probably your best choice.
Aden, If you can find me a nice 99 super air for 15k I will give you a nice finders fee. The 209 is a direct drive. Aden probably meant the 205v but those are going to be out of your price range as well.
Old    cttampa            03-31-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Aden, if you could find me a SAN for that price I will offer a finders fee also. Most that I see are in the $20k-$25k range.

Anyone have photos or video of the wake behind this boat? Looking for first hand experience...
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
That seems pretty off to me Aden, at least for California. That new of a boat (Nautique or MC) usually runs over 20k around here.
Old    walt            03-31-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
I'm not sure about your area but I had a hell of a time finding a clean V-drive here in Ca in the 20 to 25K range.

I finally found a clean Sanger V210 but I still have to add a tower and ballast.

I think you will have a better shot at finding a nice DD in that price range.

Good luck with your search.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-31-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
get a late 80's nautique 2001(model name), sacks, monster tower, perfect pass, and you'd probably still be within your budget. They're direct drives, but the hull is good for making a big wake, and it would fall into your price range.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
http://redlinewatersports.mastercraft.com/inventory_detail.asp?formname=new&from=search&curr diid=388814&tab=&site_type=template&navigate=true& searchtype=AN&isIFRAME=false&reqStyle=&Site_cid=&L ead_source=

here is another excel that might be worth looking at... if it had had an open bow, i would have looked at it a lot closer instead of buying new...they have had it a while so you might be able to get a pretty good deal!(I personally know one of the previous owners of this boat)
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
my 96 VLX was 16k, I doubt you could ever find another one near that price. 20k seems to be about the minimum for finding a v-drive.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
There are a rare number of excels with an open bow. I remember someone from diso had one all se up. It looked sweet. They are cheap, but the problem is finding one.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-31-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Aden, wtf are you saying now 15k for a 99 super air, ha you would be lucky to find one for 25. You just dont learn do you.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/5/83340755.htm

here you go in south carolina too!!! I am not positive that this is the v-drive version or not, bayliner made the wake challenger which I know is a v-drive, but the ski challenger, I was under the impression was a direct drive. The ad does say it is a v-drive though... might be worth looking into!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-31-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Give Aden a break he said I THINK and he is in Canada not the U.S. But ya here in the States a 99 vdrive like you mentioned Aden is in the mid 20's.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
I am guessing you are looking at this one...
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/2/83340742.htm
looks like it is in good shape... someone has taken the time to make it look nice, my guess is that is in good shape!

here is one planet nautique in virginia
http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4143

Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I would buy a DD before buying a closed bow V-drive.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
I could not find anything decent for the $20K-$25K price range in V-Drive when I was looking. You would be better off with a DD for that price or take your $10k-$15K and putting that down on a $30K-$35K boat and finance the difference. Keep your eyes open, you never know when you might fall intoa great deal. Just be ready to jump on it if you do.

Hey Aden, when you are exchanging CD's to USD's you have to go the other way....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
My local dealer had one of those last summer(excel). I didn't ride behind it, but the kid at the shop did. He said it put out a masive wake with a little weight. I would stay away from bayliners.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-31-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
$15k for a 99 SAN, only in your dreams. SOme of you guys are saying $25k, not even that low. For $25k you're looking at a 97 SS, a 99 SAN will go for a lot closer to $30k. The only v-drive available around $15k will be the older Nautique Excel and Barefoot models.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-31-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
Ah, sorry.... that's why I said "I think" not "I'm sure". :-)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-31-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Aden,

Put the pipe down and seek help immediately.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
They still have it. http://www.marineworld.com/usedboats.htm
Old    bocephus            03-31-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
It's a V-Drive for $15k, that's all he asked for:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/1/83472201.htm

Upload

Not sure about the wake though, it's going to need a tower too! Have fun!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
I wouldn't count that Bayliner out. I've done some research and those are pretty sweet boats for the price.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Hey I drive by that Excel on Boattrader every day on my way home from work. If anyone out of state is interested let me know I can take a look at it for you. It looks like a nice boat from the exterior.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
There was an excel for $9900 on boattrader in indianaa or ohio forever when i was looking at boatrader daily, not sure if its still on there but it needed a new interior.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
In PA.
http://www.seeboat.com/SB7158
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
I second what Clint says. O.B. before V-Drive.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-01-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Why do you guys say that? Just for the extra seating? Just curious because we never use the bow of my boat, except to stick a fat sac in.
Old    cttampa            04-01-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I have heard that the 2001 hull makes a nice wake for a direct drive, but, then you have the sacs everywhere you have to walk around on. Has anyone actually ridden behind the barefoot or the excel loaded up? Is there anything I should look for when demoing it, considering it is a 91?
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-01-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/283300.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/277514.html

are both recent posts... looks like Rod has first hand experience with these boats...

FYI... the boat that is in monona, wi, I know for a fact that previous owner wishes he could afford to snag that boat back up.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Scott,
To each their own. I have kids and they LOVE the open bow. That keeps them occupied to where I can see them at all times. Also, how many times do you use the front of the boat for picking up passengers and for docking. Last but not least, the anchor buddy, 100% better with open bow!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-01-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
I've ridden many many times behind two different barefoot nautiques. With that heavy 454 and deep V hull, you don't need to add much. A sack on either side of the engine compartment (or lead) gives you a huge hard vert wall, perhaps too much vert for some people, but it will definitely boot you. Back then we did not know to move the weight forward to get it more rampy. I learned my first HS backroll behind that boat and later my scarecrow. There is not much room to move around inside, but you're gonna have to sacrifice somewhere if you want an inexpensive boat. Comfort versus big wake, I'll take the big wake. Old sport nautiques or reg 2001s have the same issues with space, and the sport nautiques go for more, as has already been noted. If you're gonna buy an old boat like a barefoot nautique, just do a compression check on the motor and make sure there is no dry rot (soft spots) in the floorboards under the carpet.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-02-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I would say that you could get a Nautique Super Sport for about that price.....AND ON ANOTHER NOTE:

I DO NOT WANT TO JUSTIFY WHAT ADEN DID BUT YOU GUYS NEED TO LAY OFF THE KID....HE IS JUST A KID WHO MADE A MISTAKE. HE OWNED UP TO IT AND APOLOGIZED. THE REAL IMMATURE PEOPLE ARE THE ONES WHO CONTINUALLY PECK AWAY AT HIS POSTS AND GIVE HIM CRAP. LET HIS MISTAKE GO AND LETS GET ON WITH OUR LIVES. THE MORE YOU PEOPLE BRING UP THE PAST, THE MORE RIDICULOUS IT GETS. STOP ACTING LIKE KIDS. ADULTS SHOULD KNOW HOW TO FORGIVE AND LET THINGS GO! I PERSONALLY AM SICK OF SEEING IT. I AM NOT OUT TO INSULT ANYONE HERE. I JUST THINK IT HAS GONE A LITTLE FAR. SORRY TO BE SO ABRUPT BUT I COULDN'T HOLD IT IN ANY LONGER!

-Nate

p.s. -before anyone flames me about my comments....think twice on how mature that would really be.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Show me a super sport for 10-15 in decent condition. I see them going for at least 20 unless they totally are falling apart, which happens. These were not built for wakeboarding but most now are used for that; however, constant DUs cause the dashes to fall apart, stress cracks in the gel, loose swim platforms, overall looseness in the boat.

On another note, I agree that it is time to lay off Aden. Seems like people now at times have crossed the line into bulllying this kid. His willingness to man up should mean he is cut some slack sooner, not later. IMO, if he comes out again acting like a pompous ass, then it's game on, let the feeding frenzy ensue. However, I actually think he has been quite reserved and even polite at times since his initial spanking, I don't know why people are keeping at him so badly.
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
That ski challenger looks to a v drive by looking where the pylon is. That looks to be a good deal. Most people say they have a pretty good wake. That is about the only boat your gonna find that is open bow and v drive for that price. It also looks to be clean.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
My personal opinon is you dont want the lowest rung on the ladder if you are shopping used. By this I mean that I would personally like to have a little choice in searching for a used boat rather than having to settle for something that may have been beaten on (but is the only V-drive I could afford). I would think you could find a pretty nice DD for that same price range that would give you less headaches. Remember that most times you get what you pay for.

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-02-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
excellent point Matt.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-02-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
I owned a barefoot Nautique for about 4 years. I bought it for 14,500, (300 hours) put a tower/stereo etc. on it, and sold it for 18,500 last year. That wake was nothing short of awesome. The only reason I sold it was because I wanted more creature comforts like shower,heater, etc. They are really hard to find though.
Old    cttampa            04-03-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
mat,

are you saying that the v-drives are more likely to encounter mechanical issues than that of the dd?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I think Matt was saying that you are going to be better off with that money spent towards a dd than a vdrive because for that price you are not going to get a boat in great shape.

A v-drive are not more likely to encounter problems. If you are doing your own maintance a DD is easier to work on just because the engine is all right there. With a Vdrive the engine is in backwards. Sometimes you will have to contort your body into very odd positions to work on stuff
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-03-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think open bows are more of an option for seating in warmer conditions...not so much up in Tahoe from 7-10 am or 6-9 pm.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Jon is getting at my point. You dont want to settle for the only boat you can afford thats a v-drive rather than being able to pick and choose a direct drive. For your price range I would personally be shopping for a well kept direct drive; allowing some options and pickier choosing.
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-03-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
That excel in monona wisconsin is pretty nice, I see it alot cuz I work where it is for sale. It has a custom cover and tower and from what I have heard ( I have not ridden behind it) the wake is wider and alittle rampier than a 210 wake or a 2001 wake. If you have any other questions about that one let me know.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-03-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
I never had one problem w/my v-drive barefoot (same hull as excel) in 4 years. I put 300 hours on it.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-04-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
Good to see nobody's talking about the values you can find in resale Toyota boats nowadays. Crazy good construction and 4 gallons per hour at 1500 pounds + four people. Whatever you do in Florida, don't go talk to the Wakeboard Camp dudes about the thousands of hours they put on their d-drive Epics - they've all upgraded to REAL towboats now. Change the fluids, put Chevron Super in them, maybe prop them down a little if you're a ballast hound and go ride until your knees fail (the drivetrain will outlast them).
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-04-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Derek,
Can you get into a Toyota for 15k? Maybe that's why they haven't been mentioned.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
We've seen some sort of neglected 22's coming through for $15K lately. The closed-bow 21 d-drives are typically below $20K for nice ones. Seen several clean, low-hour d-drives for $20-ish. A perfect 200-hour v-drive w/tower and Perfect Pass is like mid to high $20Ks. Typical one is $25 or lower.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
The bayliner is the same as my maxum 210ss vdrive just a different colour. Check my profile.

You won't find a better wakeboat for the money period. The wake is sweet, they come loaded with heater, shower, depth guage and have loads of storage, room for ballast etc.

The hull is still used today by Lewis of australia and they sell the challenger as their high end wakeboat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-07-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
"You won't find a better wakeboat for the money period"