Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    br3tt            06-21-2002, 8:11 AM Reply   
im having some trouble landing hte backroll. everyone says my rotation is good and i have plenty of time in the air but everytime i land i fall back onto my butt and cant stay up
please give me tips, thanks
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-21-2002, 8:41 AM Reply   
Stand taller at the wake. Look at your body position when you take off, because that is the way you will land.
Old    br3tt            06-21-2002, 12:41 PM Reply   
any other tips?
one person has told me to get the handle to my hip when i land and also to try and spot my landing, but to me it is a big blur when i go into the air

the guy that was riding in the boat with me the other day wasnt paying attention so im not sure what to do
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-21-2002, 12:48 PM Reply   
It will be a blur until you get used to it. Really try to focus you eyes on where you are going, and you will start to see the landing. Start taking your attempts a little bigger so you dont have to rotate so fast.

Top left in my profile pic is a backroll.
Old    br3tt            06-21-2002, 1:00 PM Reply   
thanks i'll give it a shot
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-21-2002, 8:05 PM Reply   
Hi Brett,

They say you land how you take off...I solved the same problem you're having by (a) standing tall at the wake (w/o coming off edge), and (b) pulling the handle to my hip as I leave the wake.

JR
Old    br3tt            06-21-2002, 8:12 PM Reply   
in (B) is it like a quick tug after you hit the wake or do you pull it in as you reach the wake so you have it at your hip when you get into the air?
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-22-2002, 6:41 AM Reply   
I think of it as pulling in starting at the base of the wake and completing as I leave the wake. So, it's not a jerk on the line, but it's not a slow pull as I cut in, either. Also--and important--I don't actually "pull" the handle to my hip...rather, I push it downward to my hip. If you pull it in, the chances are you will wind up with the handle too high (e.g. at rib-cage level). If you push it downward, it will end up by your lead hip.

Doing this will help to put your handle in the correct location for the rotation and it will pull you into a more upright position as you leave the wake (which will make your landing more upright).

Good luck.
Old    br3tt            06-22-2002, 6:44 PM Reply   
thanks everyone