Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-20-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
Is the new Byerly faster then its predecessors? (02/03 Byerlys)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-20-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
I ride the 00/01 Byerly, and when I demo'd the 04, it actually felt a bit slower. The notches did several nice things, but for me, it seemed to create just a touch of drag. Then again, I was riding with the center fin in place on the 04, so that could also have been the cause of the drag. I never was too keen on the 02/03 Byerly shape, that's why I've kept my older ones. I'd be very interested in trying the 04 again with the center fin removed. Anybody esle have an opinion about this?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
I don't know about the 04 but the 02/03 was a little slower than the 00/01 and the finless(Still pretty fast though). IMO the finless was the best one.
But the 04 looks fast atleast, and they do speed up when you take the fin out (on the 2003 anyway). I don't think there will be that huge of a dfferance between the 2003 to the 2004, they're the same basic design.
Old    chase            08-21-2003, 5:14 AM Reply   
I rode it last weekend but I rode a 142 and normally ride the 03' 137. It tracked better without a doubt but it didn't seem any faster. Still, a very nice transition into cuts and a very solid progressive edge with great pop. Really nice board overall.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2003, 7:42 PM Reply   
chase...how would you compare it with the parks?
Old    chase            08-22-2003, 5:20 AM Reply   
John,
It is way slower than the Parks but the guys I ride with prefer that. I like to really haul when I edge and the Byerly is just a little too slow for me. I think the Byerly may hold an edge with less effort though and it has just as much pop as the Parks if not more.

The Parks just suits my riding style better, the Byerly seems a bit too relaxed for me but it would definitely be my second choice. Hope this helps!
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-22-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Chase...you should check out a couple of my latest videos http://www.wakepics.com/member/jjared

I am really trying to get the backroll down but can't seem to get the rotation.
Old    mikep            08-22-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Hey John. You are letting go of the rope on nearly every attempt. The rope is what maintains control and allows you to get that rotation. Once you let go of the rope, you have no chance. Also, you are crouching on your cut and sometimes you are not standing quite tall enough at the wake. I've found that if you are crouching at the wake, you will land that way as well and will keep but checking. Try these things:

1. Take a nice easy progressive cut with your hips up and make sure you are standing tall at the wake. You don't need a huge cut to land this trick - it's more about body and rope position. The easiest way to do this is to just stand tall through the cut. You can still get a good cut when you are standing tall - just roll your heels back on your cut instead of crouching down. Thinking about keeping your hips up and towards the boat will force you to stand taller and will prevent you from taking that crouching cut.

2. Ride all the wake up through the wake on edge (still standing tall) before you throw the trick. This is key to getting good pop! A very common mistake is throwing the roll too early.

3. Most importantly, make sure to keep that rope into your hip all the way through the cut and especially through the trick. Just tell yourself you are not going to let go of the rope.

If you do these things you will stick that back roll. Good luck!
Old    krug            08-22-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
I rode the 00/01 byerly shape for three years and loved it. i recently bought the 03 mainly because of the graphics and i had not bought myself a new board in a while. I think the 03 lands harder i went big on a double up and landed as i always land and snapped my acl in two on my lead leg. My advice to anyone who has rode the same board for a long time to ease yourself into a new ride or you may be sitting at home the rest of the season like me!