Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-28-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
What's up guys. I rode behind my dad's Boston whaler type boat that had a tri hull with 200 Hp outboard for a while, didn't have the best wake. It's been a while since she's been out of service and I've been riding cable ever since. My question is, having heard good reviews on the 2001 as far as being a good, cheap boat with a good wake, how would someone who's ridden behind it rate it? I know the boat is no g23 but it's not a Boston whaler either. As long as it has a wake I won't struggle with inverts or spins on, and I can fly out into the flats when the times right, im pretty much good. How is the wake, assuming I out as much ballast as I can on her? Thanks, josh
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-28-2013, 6:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronix1andahalf View Post
What's up guys. I rode behind my dad's Boston whaler type boat that had a tri hull with 200 Hp outboard for a while, didn't have the best wake. It's been a while since she's been out of service and I've been riding cable ever since. My question is, having heard good reviews on the 2001 as far as being a good, cheap boat with a good wake, how would someone who's ridden behind it rate it? I know the boat is no g23 but it's not a Boston whaler either. As long as it has a wake I won't struggle with inverts or spins on, and I can fly out into the flats when the times right, im pretty much good. How is the wake, assuming I out as much ballast as I can on her? Thanks, josh
Best wake sub 10k dollars you can get. It's like a mini 95-2006 super air nautique wake. Not quite as hard but gets as big as you will need to learn almost anything
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
Problem arises with one thats been sitting too long and is rotten, or one that has been redone with everything and is a little overpriced. Good finds out there for sure though. FInd one get some sacs and an extended pylon and kick it old school.
Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-28-2013, 8:22 PM Reply   
Very useful info guys thanks. But lets put it this way; would someone used to riding behind modern, high end wake boats feel significantly set back riding behind a fat sac'd 2001? Or would it be more like an eh, not so great but can't complain kid of thing?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-28-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
I doubt any pro worth his weight in gold would be so hobbled to not be able to put down 75-85% of their tricks behind one. You gotta remember, mobes, 5s, etc have been done on unweighted ski boat wakes... 90% of tricks today were learned on boats before this recent wave of slammed boats and wake machines. I'm thinking pre 03-11 star..., nautique 230 etc
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2013, 9:45 PM Reply   
The 2001 wake can compete any day with any of the wake machines up to the newseries of the G and the 23-24ft monsters of today that hold 8k worth of ballast

U stack all the 21ft and under v drive wakeboats and an older 2001 model Nautique side by side and the 2001 Nauti 19 ftr can go head to head . Its going to be a bit lowwr in amplitude but not by much. You will lose every amount of floor space with sacs so room wise forget it, but wake wise not far off. It's limit is the horsepower and size. It just can't hold the same amount of extra ballast as its v drive counterparts with the bigger engines. On the same token tho the boats smaller size doesn't need as much to really get the wakes beefy.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-28-2013 at 9:50 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-29-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
The 2001 wake can compete any day with any of the wake machines up to the newseries of the G and the 23-24ft monsters of today that hold 8k worth of ballast

U stack all the 21ft and under v drive wakeboats and an older 2001 model Nautique side by side and the 2001 Nauti 19 ftr can go head to head . Its going to be a bit lowwr in amplitude but not by much. You will lose every amount of floor space with sacs so room wise forget it, but wake wise not far off. It's limit is the horsepower and size. It just can't hold the same amount of extra ballast as its v drive counterparts with the bigger engines. On the same token tho the boats smaller size doesn't need as much to really get the wakes beefy.
This, and the wake can be a bit more narrow, and it is steep and SHARP so I've found the landing zone is tight if you are a wake to wake rider. That said, this is very accurate. We stacked my buddies up with 2 800s filled as full as we can get them on each side of the engine, a 440 in the nose, 3 85lb bricks overfilled, a driver 160-180 and his 120lb gf... the wake is nutty. Hes got likely well over 2000hrs on his engine, Acme 13x10.5 (custom hammer job) prop, takes a bit to plane but it is sick. I bet we could fit another 2-400 lbs but then keeping water from coming over the bow/stern would be a bigger concern than it already is...
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-29-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
And I have one in great condition for sale!!! Would be willing to meet you with it :-) (search charlotte craigslist for 1984)

My friend is an amazing rider and he threw every trick he had behind the boat. Whirly, Raley, 5s, etc. I ran 2 440s beside the motor and about 300 in the nose and sometime 5ish in the rear. Awesome boat especially with perfect pass ( it has it )

Lol good luck
Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-29-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Raymond is this you? http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3952096899.html
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-29-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
I have a 89'. I run 300 pounds of concrete in the nose a 550 on each side of the motor and a 750 in the back. Full tank of gas and a few people it gets just as big as any v drive. I have landed every trick I know behind a 2001 including my first mobe. Jade Whirly did a toe side 900 behind mine last year. Only complaint is that loaded out it can get pretty sketchy when the big boats are sharing the line with us but for my first boat I absolutely love it.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-29-2013, 3:35 PM Reply   
yes that is it!
Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-29-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Great deal on that green 2001, but unfortunately I live in Florida. But hey, anythings possible! I might be able to come check it out. Also, anyone tried surfing behind it?
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-30-2013, 4:42 AM Reply   
Yeah you can surf behind it and there are plenty of post out there with weights etc. I havent really got into surfing as much as I thought I would, i do not surf much behind my SS either.

I just looked up Melbourne, I thought it was upstate Fla, my bad. I cannot say anything though I drove over 9 hours one way to pick up my SS. If you are really interested give me a call. 704-506-5700
Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-03-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
Does the 2001 have it's own radiator and separate freshwater cooling system?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-03-2013, 2:07 PM Reply   
I LOVED my old 86' 2001 they can get cramped quick though.
I could ride almost all day on a tank of gas....miss that..lol