Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (mads0113)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
If anyone can help me answer this question it would be greatly appreciated.

My buddy is possibly selling his boat to a guy in Canada. As we were looking today, we noticed that the trailer is missing the VIN sticker. He had sandblasted the trailer and painted it a few years back and we guessed it had come off then.

So, the question I have, is this going to be an issue at the border? The guy will receive two bills of sale (one for the boat, and one for the trailer) printed up by the dealer from where he originally bought the boat. He will also have both titles for the trailer and the boat.

Any helpful insights would be much appreciated.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-18-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
This will be an issue at the border.. then again it was a "home made" trailer right? thus no VIN
Old     (lzrdwrnglr)      Join Date: May 2008       06-18-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
When importing a boat to canada you have to notify the USA border that it is going through 72hrs in advance and canadian border also. You must send proof of sale and titles for the trailer and the boat. It's not a hard thing to do. There is some paperwork but nothing huge.. He must have the vin for the trailer though to provide proof. you should be able to get it revined down there.. The cost I don't know. The paperwork should show both.. Sometimes they don't even check if you have all paperwork ready and it's send in advance.. My buddy does this all the time..
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-18-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
We brought a PWC across the border and we didn't notify anyone in advance. We just showed up on the day, spent about 20 mins inside showing them bill of sale and trailer info etc and paid.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
To Import a Boat you DO NOT have to give US Customs 72 hours notice... There is no need to EXPORT as the vehicle is not a Land powered vehicle..
About the VIN I have imported a few boats and trailer and sometimes they run out and check the VIN and sometimes not... It would be best to have a Replacement VIN sent out in case they check It could hold up the buyer...

The cost to Import is only the GST (which he would have to pay anyway) and the $210 RIV Fee for the Canadian Tire Inspection...

Check out www.riv.ca and that site has all the info needed...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-18-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Importing the trailer is the only hard part. Look at the RIV link from RPenner.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
the trailer is always the hardest part...
Old     (cory_h)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-19-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
I have never had the border guys check my trailer VIN and I have brought back a couple of boats and cargo trailers. Where they will check is when you go to have the trailer federally inspected here in Canada. You must have a title document for the trailer so just call the trailer manufacturer and tell them your VIN and they will be able to make you up a new VIN sticker for the trailer. Most boat trailers have a partial vin stamped or tack welded small metal plate near the tongue on the inside. Sometimes they ask for this. You may have to send them a copy of the Title just to confirm you own the boat.
After that it's just as everyone else above described, really easy.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I imported my trailer.. wasn't hard at all... Customs took all of 15 mins in/out.

My problem is local registration authority (MTO)

They are haggling me that I don't have a bill of sale 3 owners previous and thus I need a sworn document that I am not lieing about the history!

F' that... my lawyers fees are not worth it.. thus trailer is still rocking a georgia license plate!
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
When I imported my boat the boarder agent went out and checked the VIN (matched to the bill of sale).

We had a number that was incorrect but he was cool and let us go.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-22-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
hey greg try a different office, I didn't have the title for my trailer, just the bill of sale. They were cool with it. I find in general with these places and even customs that depending on who you get some are by the book others more lenient...that trailer of yours sounds like the agent has sumthing stuck up their @#$@.