Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (hornsfan)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-18-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Okay so I just swapped out my interior speakers with (4) Polk db651. They are wired in parallel, thus 2-ch is running at 2ohm. (about 100 w each speaker)

Didn't really think about a specific guage speaker wire but what i did use was 18 ga. The speakers scream and sound good. To change out the speaker wire to 16 ga or 14 ga, would I get a noticeable difference in sound? Drawbacks to using 18 ga.?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-18-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Check out this website and calulator. According to this you are loosing a little power due to voltage drop but not much. Biggest issue is the current you're running through that small wire.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Nu Bu, that is a great little program.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
IMO, those small drop is not worth the time spent to rewire. What wire ga was running to the speakers before the swap?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-18-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
NuBu,

I have to say.... The main site that goes with the link you posted is probably the single most informative source of audio information I have come across...

Kind of scarey though... Some of the audio shops I have talked to have recommended wire sizes to me that, according to this site, would be insufficient.

THANKS FOR THAT LINK!!!!
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-18-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
^^^^^ http://www.bcae1.com/
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-18-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
You're welcome, I've learned alot from that site. I though everyone knew about that site, that site and the12volt.com are great info.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-18-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
thanks for that. that is a great site.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-18-2009, 11:41 PM Reply   
WHEW.... Maybe I need to take back that thanks... I have been reading every dang page of that thing non stop since my last post!!! My eyes are KILLING me...

What I learned pertaining to my system specifically...

1. I was not planning on using NEARLY enough fuses.

2. The fusing that was on the boat when I bought it was completely out of whack.. i.e., fuses were WAY too big for cable gauge.

3. Many other nifty little facts about ohms law, THD, and wiring up a system in general...

I cant wait to get back home and put all this knowledge to use!!!
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-20-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
C.R. I am not busting on you or anything I just thought it was kind of funny. I have been to that website and (like you said) there is a ton of information there. You typed:

"I cant wait to get back home and put all this knowledge to use!!!"

Where have you been doing all your research - while at work??
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-21-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
FJK,

My job requires a LOT of travel, so I get quite a bit of hotel time... I'm still on my quest to find the end of the internet.

I think I've gotten close a few times...