Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
Well, I'm finally getting some good action on my boat. I've had nothing for the past month, then the last 2 days I've gotten 5 calls. My question is, I've arranged a set time to show my boat on Tuesday to one guy. Then I got a call from another guy today who sounds really interested and he wants to see it as soon as possible. What is proper etiquette? Can I show it to this new guy, but not let him buy until the other guy has had a chance to see it? Or if he wants to see it tomorrow and buys it, do I just tell the other guy sorry?

Also, what all forms do I need to sell a boat? Thanks
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
first come first serve.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-22-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
FCFS X 2! The first one to bring money shall own the boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
Jeremy, first in time is first in line.

If the guy is paying cash and you have the titles just make up a generic bill of sale for both of you to sign and release interest on the titles to him. That is it.

If he is getting financing have him get a check from the bank and make up a bill of sale. Go to his bank if you need to. When I sold my boat 2 days ago the guy got financing through his bank for 20k of it and a cashiers check for the remaining 2k. I called his bank when we were doing the deal and gave them the check numbers and they told me they were in good order and valid.

As we learned from Duffy's thread make sure and put AS-IS NO WARRANTY on the bill of sale.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
Funny story. When I was selling Mastercrafts for Cope and Mcphetres my boss was showing an older gentleman a new past model X7. The guy and his wife had been in a few times and were real interested in a maroon X7 we had. It was the last new past model 197 hull we had in stock. his only other option was a year or 2 old Tournament Team. Well we had a new walk-in come in and while the older gentleman was nitpicking everything about the 2 boats and looking at the used one the walk-in looked at the X7 for 10 minutes and said he would take it. I had to go walk up to my boss who was with the older guy and ask if they had bought the X7 yet. He said no and I said well I just sold it and the guy is writing me a business check right now. The older guy caught some crap from his wife because the X7 was the boat he really wanted. He ended up buying the tournament team but sometimes it is important for a buyer to atleast put down a deposit or make a decision.

Moral of the story is the first one to put cash in your hand gets the boat.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-22-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
Agreed with all above. Make sure you go online after the sale and transfer the name out of yours. I've heard of people buying cars/boats and going and doing criminal activity or getting into a accident and driving away. Then they are coming after you cause your still the registered owner.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
I agree with what Todd just said.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Brett- Congrats on sellin your boat, must feel nice. I'm going to a show in cali this weekend to try to sell my truck. Hopefully I can get rid of it.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-23-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
You can't depend on the other guy or in that matter both guys. The guy that wants to see it ASAP might not want it. So you need to do what is going to sell your boat. Let the guy that is wanting to see it ASAP that you do have someone else lined up. So he better move fast if he wants to buy it.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-24-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
Well, I asked this question AFTER I had already told the 2nd eager guy that he'd have to wait til after I showed it to the first guy. But I saw all the responses and so I called the guy back and said he could see it Monday night if he could make it. We met last night, and he brought cash! Boat sold! Good call. Thanks everyone!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-24-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Nice Jeremey. Good couple of days for both of us.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-24-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
It really is true. The best 2 days for a boat owner are the day they buy and the day they sell.

Now you can start focusing strictly on the SSV.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-24-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
I envy you guys. I'm selling my boat to and people are either on the fence about spending the money or they want to lowball the chit out of you. It's a wierd time right now.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-24-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
nu bu, times are def weird right now. But depending on where you live, it may be startin to feel like summer again. I've had my boat posted for about 6 weeks now and literally not a single phone call or email. Between last Friday and Monday I've had 5 different people call me about my boat, and I had 3 of them ready to look at it. Hang in there. Sun will do great wonders for sellin' boats.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-24-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
What boat did you sell?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-24-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
If any of you read my post on leasing my boat, I'm finalizing the deal this weekend. It would have been sooner but I've been out of town. Took me about a week to find the person belive it or not. The paperwork ( w-2 info, credit report, excess GL ins policy) took about another week.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-24-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Basics of the deal are $2.5k down, $1k refundable deposit, $500/month 07 22 SSV, loaded.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            03-24-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
adam,
what are you doing? I have note seen the post. Where is it?

jeremy,
what are you selling? the ssv?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-24-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Adam,

I followed you post... If you would'nt mind... Would you fill me in on a few more details...

Josh (e-mail in profile)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-24-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Diggs, he sold his old supra sunsport.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-24-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Diggs I tried searching for the post…the title was “Boat lease”. Maybe you’ll have better luck. It was about 2 months ago??

I live on a lake and haven’t been using my boat as much as I want during the week b/c of work and am lucky enough to have some good friends out on the same lake who all have boats. I bought a pontoon boat a few months ago and use that as my “water taxi” and base camp.

I still really like my boat but I end up riding more on other people’s boat than mine. I don’t; want it just sitting over the summer in the lift with an occasional use. If I were to sell it know in this economy I’d loose my a*s, like most.

This lease idea seemed like a great alternative. IF you do the math it’s really pretty cheap. $2500 down, $1k deposit, $500 month (covers my boat pmt) for up to 12 months. 100 hours for 12 months, anything less than 12 months hours are prorated, $65/hour if you go over…taken out of deposit.

The buyer has a very good job $150k+ income (w-2 verified), good credit (over 700) and has $1MM excess GL policy to cover any accidents. I’m keeping my insurance and adding him as an operator. I’ll pay for routine maint; he’ll pay for anything he breaks. He pays for covered storage. The boat is still under warranty. IF anything warranty related happens I’ll refund him 50% of the rent based on a prorated daily amount. Anything else he pays for. No salt/brackish use. I have the right to look at the boat every quarter and keep a key to storage. IF your 30 days late, I’ll repo the boat, you forfeit all monies. Rent is due 1st of the month.

My theory is people with good credit know how to and will take care f their stuff, but $1k will fix a lot of cosmetic damage on a boat if it happens.

His story is…early 50’s, young wife, who like’s ski boats, he has a few kids. He’ll be pullin tubers and trying “waterboarding” lol. He’s owned inboard tournament ski boats in the past but never a v-drive. He doesn’t’ think his new wife will last in the Texas heat thru the summer and doesn’t’ want to drop the cash on a new or late model boat and be locked in for 10-15 years. His true hobby is flying planes. He has a Cessna that he keeps up at a local airport. The boat will be stored in his hangar.

I structured the lease after something I would do. IF someone offered me this deal year after year, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

IF he wants to turn the boat in early, he’ll forfeit all his deposit.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-24-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
Josh, if you want more specific details, shoot me an email. I'll give you my number. I've tried to cover most scenarios.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-24-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
sold the sunsport. I'm keepin my SSV? Now that the old is gone, I can start working on the new.
Diggs, do you have an older SSV? Where do you set your wakeplate at for surf? I'm getting ready to order the larger sacs (center GG and 2 rear 750s) and I figure I'll fill everything for wakeboarding. Empty opposite side for for surf. But do I keep the plate partly up for wakeboarding, then down for surf?
Old    pdxWAKE.com            03-25-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
Adam,
Pretty cool. Keep us posted on how it works.

Jeremy
I have never owned an older SSV, but have owned a newer one and a 21V. Typically the wakeplate will be all the way up for surfing.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Jeremy,
Where did you post your boat for sale? If you posted it in multiple places, what generated the most phone calls?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
I sold my boat this past weekend. I far and away got the most hits from Craigslist and ultimately got the sale from there. It was priced to move though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
I sold my boat last weekend as well. I had mine posted here and craigslist. I got almost nothing from wakeworld. I got way more interest from craigslist and sold to someone who saw the boat on craigslist. Honestly I don't know how trader publishing is still in business or how they still have news paper classifieds.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-25-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
Jeremy, I had an 04 SSV a while back. I ran the center gravity bag and the 750's in the rear. They will never fill to capacity and will bow the wall that separates teh motor from the locker. I replaced them with the v-drive sacs.

For riding I ran the plate at 50% , surfing was all the way up. I used two additional v-drive sacs for surfing and filled the center bag. Teh seat depth is an issue the sacs will roll off the seat. I tied mine to the tower.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Wakeshoe, I had a few inquiries via craigslist, but I got the actual sale from OnlyInboards.