Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have never tried to wakesurf but want to give it a shot. I have a Supra sunsport 22v. What kind of board should I be looking at? I have seen some with 1 fin, 3 fins, long and short. I do not even know where to start. Can someone help me? TIA
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Do you have a style you like more? IE, Surf, or skim or a combo of both. You can google or youtube some people to see examples.

Drew Danielo - he rides a skim style board

Chase Hazen- he rides surf style

James Walker- he rides surf and surf-skim

Look at how they ride and write back. Once we know what style you are looking for we can most likely help more. Also how is your wave? Do you have any buddies with wakesurfs? Demo is always best

Last edited by duffymahoney; 06-15-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: oops
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
I kinda like the idea of the surf-skim. Which is the easiest to learn on? I am new to this lake and new to wakeboarding so do not know to many people that do this yet. And we really do not have any place around here to go and demo a board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I don't know much about surf-skim boards, but I'm sure surfdad will comment on it. Your local board shop would be the best place to demo or if you can find someone to barrow from.
Old    surfdad            06-15-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
I love how we coin terminology - like darkside and baldING, but surf-skim is BORING! I'd prefer "not limited" or "not too many fins" WAIT! WAIT! "the man that designed that must be incredibly smart and handsome" style. YES! That's much better.

James' board is designed not to be limited by the fin pod - quads and thrusters "typically" reduce surface rotation ability for most folks. James likes doing surface rotations, as well as aerials, so it is designed to develop drive through the shape and twinzer fin pod, rather than trailing fins.

st3, James' board really isn't a good choice for beginners. Shred Stixx, Inland, TWP, Lakewakes, Towanza, Stretch, etc all make good boards more suitable for newbs. If you're looking to do surface rotations, removing trailer fins will reduce the drive, on most of those boards that rely on the trailers for drive, but will free up the tail. If you're really focused on skim style tricks, like those of the shuv family, then Inland's 4 skim variations, Calibrated, P5, Triple X all have suitable skimmers.

Surface Rotations and aerials on a "the man that designed that must be incredibly smart and handsome" style board:

Surface reverse

...and aerials
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-15-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
i thought that baldING was called Status
Old    surfdad            06-15-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
LOL no it was my plea for a separate DIVISION in contests. baldING ( emphasis on the ING). I had a laundry list of reasons why it was unfair NOT to have a baldING (emphasis on the ING) division, such as like not having hair on the top of your head required sunscreen be liberally applied to that area to prevent cancer and that when wet, that sunscreen would get into the baldING (emphasis on the ING) rider's eyes, clearly giving an unfair advantage to riders that were NOT baldING (empahsis on the ING). Even more important was promoting safe riding by preventing skin cancer.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
so would the inland squirt be a good board to start on?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
sidetracked3, the Squirt would be decent to start on. It's not really skim and its not really surf. its much like the ride, broadcast, venture but with the inland surfer name(compression molded, heavy, sharp rails, wakeboard fins). it will get you started but eventually you will want a non compression molded board with rounder rails.
i would pick up the Squirt since it is probably the best of the compression molded boards and give it a whirl. you can play with the fin configuration which will help you decide later on if you want to go skim or surf. either way you are going to have so much fun and get hooked!