Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2012, 1:21 AM Reply   
had some wakeboards in the back of my vehicle (no boat being towed). Park entrance booth operator spotted them and i had to certify they were muscle free. it was quick and easy but unexpected... good on them for having an eye out for all possibilities.

what next...Yes sir, my swim trunks have never been in infested waters.
Attached Images

Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-08-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Hopefully you don't need the 140F water wash while your trunks are still on.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-08-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
Dude tahoe lake is the worst, they take it to the extreme. There is a complete decontamination station that you have to go though if they find a single ounce of water in you boat even if its in your life jacket is damp. at the center they flush your engine and compartment or anything else that is wet. One guy had to empty his entire boat... not only that but they charge you so dam much for the decontamination, they dont even do it for free. I believe my friends dad had to pay like 70 bucks just to get his boat in the water, cuz after they charge you 50 for the decontamination they charge an extra 20 for the launch. Its a complete joke...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Its not a joke if they catch you trying to circumvent the inspection...$5000 fine ...no joke
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Cheers to them if they are able to stop the spread of any invasives. Tax dollars well spent. Those mussels along with Milfoil really suck.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-08-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
Hell ya! I'm glad they're taking it so seriously! Powell is my home lake. And with a houseboat in a slip, I could not imagine how big of a headache it would be in an infested lake. As for the people that don't take it seriously and willingly try to sneak around the checks, I hope they fine the living hell out of you! And honestly, is it really that much trouble to get checked out? At least you know your not part of the problem. If you don't like it, find a different lake!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Powell is my backyard.
glad things are still muscle free here. first time i have ever been asked anything about my gear when not towing a boat. props to the employee for going above and beyond. my stuff never goes anywhere but Powell.

when you got Powell as your home there is no reason to go elsewhere

checking my shorts comment is just a tongue in cheek joke with a side of seriousness
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-08-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
Haha yea, i meant it was joke because of much they charge, in donnor lake they dont charge people 50 bucks to for a decontamination. It should free or at the most 10 bucks. (Free: could be payed with state money). Not only that but it went up from last year, they only charge that much because they can.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-08-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
Spent 3 days in Tahoe last week. Full decon set me back 106 bucks , they flush the engine, bilge, all ballast tanks must be filled and drained, bilge pump MUST be backflushed in reverse, full power wash of trailer and exterior of boat. All done with recycled 140 degree water. Took them 1 hour 45 mins to complete. But Tahoe was worth it, no complaints here, keep it blue and muscle free.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
^^ Like the state (of CA) has extra money...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-09-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
LOL, you guys know the difference between muscles and mussels, right? I got tons of muscles in our crew and we never get sweated.

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-09-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
When I think of muscle prevention, this is the image that always comes to mind....

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
So they want everything completely dry? I've never been able to get all the water out of my center ballast bag on my V215.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=shawndoggy;1765865]LOL, you guys know the difference between muscles and mussels, right? I got tons of muscles in our crew and we never get sweated.

Haa! right. got me there. oops
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-10-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
so when you pull up they do an inspection and if they see water, they do the hot condensate wash? or wash not matter what?
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
What a big fuss. While I admire the attempt at prevention, it almost seems futile. To prevent it you have to eliminate the contamination 100% of the time from a boat. To have it spread, you just have to let it get by once. It's almost seemingly going to happen.

We have them on my lake, as do most lakes in Michigan. They are annoying for sure as they are sharp like to grow on things. Strangely they dont seem to like to grow on my pontoon boat or boat lifts, which is good.

On the flip side they filter the water like crazy and make the lake a lot cleaner, which is nice.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
On the flip side they filter the water like crazy and make the lake a lot cleaner, which is nice.
Hmmm, I'd like to see some of these in Ohio to clean up some of our nasty water.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-10-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
How do they stop and inspect every bird flying into the lake is my question?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
I thought this had to do with Lance Armstrong and his doping scandal.
Old     (adrien)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-11-2012, 12:40 AM Reply   
Think up a way to safely inoculate an infected lake and the idea will be worth at least a BILLION $$$$$$$$$$$.
Old     (SuperSacR)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-23-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
There is a new filter system for ballast tanks that will let you by-pass the decontamination of your ballast tanks if you have it installed on your boat. It was developed with the TRPA and was tested and approved by them and the Western Regional Panel, they will be available as an option on some brands on 2015 boats and as a retro-fit kit this summer.
see www.wake-worx.com for more information.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-23-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Scott, what's the price on that?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-23-2014, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
When I think of muscle prevention, this is the image that always comes to mind....

dude you need to put this on the crew, hilarious
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
I agree with my michigan rider. We have had them for years. Cleaned up the lakes. This has created better growing of plantation and weeds which gives fish a place to live. Over the years I have noticed that the population of zebra muscle decreased ten fold. As the lake clears they lose food and start to die off. Never had clogging issues with any of our lake fed pumps. They did how ever like the boat lift. But like is said the last five years not one on the lift anymore. A lot of money is spent to delay the inevitable.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-23-2014, 8:05 PM Reply   
If they're good for the water quality and eventually die off, why is there such a huge push to get keep them out? Yes they're sharp and smell when they're on shore, but can't rocks be sharp and animals smell in the national forests all the time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-23-2014, 10:03 PM Reply   
Here's why:
It is imperative to prevent zebra and quagga mussels from spreading further, and to keep new invasive species out of the Great Lakes. NWF supports stronger ballast water regulation as well as improved methods of ensuring recreational boats are cleaned of invasive species before moving between bodies of water.

Zebra and quagga mussels harm native fish populations, ruin beaches and attach to boats, water intake pipes, and other structures causing the Great Lakes economy billions of dollars a year in damage.

They devastate native species by stripping the food web of plankton, which has a cascading effect throughout the ecosystem. Lack of food has caused populations of alewives, salmon, whitefish and native mussel species to plummet.

Zebra and quagga mussels promote water clarity by filter feeding. Clearer water allows sunlight to penetrate to the lake bottom, creating ideal conditions for algae to grow. In this way, zebra and quagga mussels have promoted the growth and spread of deadly algae blooms. Algae foul beaches and cause botulism outbreaks that have killed countless fish and more than 70,000 aquatic birds in the last ten years.
Old     (SuperSacR)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-24-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
The pricing is still preliminary, but I expect as an option on a new boats it will be under $900. Retro-fits probably be closer to $600 for 3 ballast tanks.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-24-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSacR View Post
The pricing is still preliminary, but I expect as an option on a new boats it will be under $900. Retro-fits probably be closer to $600 for 3 ballast tanks.
How does it affect water flow into the bags? It seems like a fairly constrictive setup.
Old     (SuperSacR)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-28-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
It slows fill times about 15% so if it took 8 minutes to fill a tank it would take 9 minutes.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-22-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
This is going to resurrect an old thread but I just noticed this is now an option on Nautique. I don't know how many other OEM's offer it but it looks like a very cool system. The Super Sac'r website wasn't very informative about retro fit kits, only to contact a dealer. Is it possible to order this and install it myself? What size hose does it use and how often does the filter need to be cleaned out? Do these filters also need to be installed in the vent and drain lines too or just the fill lines?
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-22-2015, 8:43 PM Reply   
I went to a lake that had inspections, they asked where I dropped the boat last. I told them in the ocean so salt water, and they just let me on by.
I was shocked that they let us by that easy.

On a side note, i heard they filter water and make it all nice and clean. They should dump a bunch in lake elsinore haha.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-23-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
Considering Lake Elsinore staff do not ask, I wouldn't be surprised if there were mussels in that lake. But the algae must still be winning considering the fact I can put my leg in the water and not see my ankle.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-23-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
FYI, they really like large diameter polypropylene dock lines ... oh and the poly covering on the air lines for my air lift. A mussel farm wouldn't take very expensive materials.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-23-2015, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjole View Post
How do they stop and inspect every bird flying into the lake is my question?
If the bird tries to bypass the inspection in any way, it is a $5,000 fee. They have to get a 140F pressure wash just like everyone else.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-13-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
I made light of zebra muscles last winter because last summer was my first time spotting them. Now that we're driving over a carpet of them in our parking lot for the marina and the Corps of Engineers' swimming area, they are nasty.

With record rainfall in June and July, the Corps let Bull Shoals fill to 693 feet (just shy of flood pool) and let it hold for about 2 months. Now the Corps has let the lake drop 30 feet (10 more to go to power pool).

What has been left behind is a carpeting of Zebra muscles over all the concrete and asphalt (they're picking about surfaces ... they didn't like the quarried limestone rip-rap). Driving over them reduces them to a dust that the wind picks up. It's like a miniature dustbowl ... that smells like rotting mollusk. I don't know if that concrete picnic table will be usable anytime soon.
Attached Images

Old     (billwil)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-13-2015, 4:26 PM Reply   
Yikes...that's nasty.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-13-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
Wow.. that mussel growth is from just 2 months?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
That's awful!!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-14-2015, 10:26 AM Reply   
Our lake looked like that for about 2 years. Interestingly the muscles cleared up the lake and the water has never looked clearer. The bass in our lake started eating the muscles. The perch, bass, and other fish populations which had been down came back as the water started clearing and they started eating the muscles. After a a few years the muscles and the fish hit equilibrium. We've had muscles for at least 10 - 15 years now and we see only a few muscles. The lake remains clearer than ever and the fish population remains stronger than ever. This is Lake Geneva, WI. If you ask me, the muscles were good for the lake. I don't know if this is the case in every lake but it worked out well as far as I can see.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-14-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
Our lake looked like that for about 2 years. Interestingly the muscles cleared up the lake and the water has never looked clearer. The bass in our lake started eating the muscles. The perch, bass, and other fish populations which had been down came back as the water started clearing and they started eating the muscles. After a a few years the muscles and the fish hit equilibrium. We've had muscles for at least 10 - 15 years now and we see only a few muscles. The lake remains clearer than ever and the fish population remains stronger than ever. This is Lake Geneva, WI. If you ask me, the muscles were good for the lake. I don't know if this is the case in every lake but it worked out well as far as I can see.
muscles came through lake of the ozark to and spiked and then receded. The water is still as murky as ever. We've had a dock here for 5 years and never seen 1 live mussel, just shells left behind by some animal, guessing river otter.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
My parents live on Geneva and I was shocked how the population exploded then subsided.

I am in Florida, do they survive in our temps?
Old     (Copenglenn)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-27-2015, 5:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie_09 View Post
muscles came through lake of the ozark to and spiked and then receded. The water is still as murky as ever. We've had a dock here for 5 years and never seen 1 live mussel, just shells left behind by some animal, guessing river otter.
Haven't really noticed much around the 84 as far as mussels go. Still too muddy on the bottom to notice in the shallows. Our small lake at home has them pretty bad. The shallow bottoms are full of them and some of the kids have cut their feet on the shells.
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-29-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   

This was taken around late spring of this year. It is part of a dock they pulled out due to flooding. I think we have had zebra mussels in our lake for 2 years now.

They tried to prevent them from making into our lakes and no such luck. I think it is a waste of time and money to try and prevent. Only takes one screw up, and we all know the screw ups we see on the lakes.

Last edited by deelan; 10-29-2015 at 3:25 PM.
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       10-30-2015, 6:14 AM Reply   
MUSSELS not MUSCLES
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-09-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
Repairs are underway and ... to my surprise ... a little bit of traffic (foot or vehicle) grinds them to dust and the wind and rain carry them away. That is, the mess has cleaned a lot of itself up in just 3 weeks. (Regarding spelling: I spelled the name of the little bastards correctly when I typed my post, but some software process with submission of my post changed my spelling.)
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-09-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
As long as you're wearing a pair of skinny jeans, you don't need to have the sticker displayed since you are already clearly advertising that you are 100% muscle-free.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
As long as you're wearing a pair of skinny jeans, you don't need to have the sticker displayed since you are already clearly advertising that you are 100% muscle-free.
Bwahahahahahah. That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the good chuckle.