Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    wakeupz            07-10-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
...or that http://www.skiboatdeaths.com/ website sucks in a sheriff.

The weekend before the 4th my wife was pulling me in a slough just off the Sacramento river. A sheriff came cruising in and watched us for about fifteen minutes and finally came over to the boat. He asked my wife if we were from Sacramento (odd question).

She told him no and he explained that the reason for his question was that he wanted to know if we had seen the billboard and knew that "what he is (referring to me wakesurfing) doing is dangerous and someone's son had died doing that."

I was still in the water and told him that I was aware of the billboard and that wakesurfing was a completely different activity. He insisted that I was risking my life because of the high levels of CO.

I was amazed at his lack of knowledge but told him that I sincerely appreciated his concern for my safety. I told him that I was very familiar with the law that went into effect in January and that teaksurfing is completely different than wakesurfing. I even demonstrated the difference by hanging of the swin deck. I also let him know that the tragic death of that kid happened when he was dragging behind the boat, with his face in the exhaust...without a life jacket on.

I thanked him one last time and he told me that "if I wanted to kill myself, go right ahead" and then motored off. So we kept surfing.

Does anyone know of a concise, one page max letter, brochure, etc. that would help educate LEOs that are unfamiliar with the law, the sport, CO poisoning, etc. ? I already carry a copy of the CA CO law in my boat box.
Old    surfdad            07-10-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
He didn't cite you, though, so on some level he seemed to know that the activity was legal...maybe just in his opinion he feels there is a CO issue. We just came back from Shasta where we surfed for...shoot, 5 hours, without incident and have heard numerous horror stories, although we didn't tempt fate either. I wonder is this problem ubiqutous, or more just an isolated problem. Props to you Wakeupz for standing your ground and explaining the differences between the legal and safe wakesurfing and the illegal and death wish oriented "platform dragging".
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-11-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Wakeupz-
Check this thread...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/344045.html?1152627489#POST701783
Old    wakeupz            07-11-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Thanks. From my post above:

"I already carry a copy of the CA CO law in my boat box."
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-12-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
I saw that, but one of those links has a pic from the DBW web site that shows what teak surfing is.
This one:
Upload

That might help eliminate the confusion for the water cop that stops you.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
When we arrived at Shasta about 6 weeks ago, as soon as we left the marina I stopped a Sheriff boat and asked her about it. She said as long as we get pulled up by a rope, and were not on or riding on the swimstep, it was fine. She said some of the younger/newer deputies are still not real clear on it. She seemed to have a good idea of the difference though.

Does anyone have a link where I can print out a copy of the Calif CO law?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Duh! Nevermind. I just saw the other thread.