Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-02-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
I've been riding my old haggard original Landlock for nearly 8 or so years now, it's beat to crap and time to get a new one. I swapped out the fins for old premier 1.2 fins, so it's very loose. I ride pretty aggressive with lots of hard slashes, slashes to reverts, I can pull an occasional 3, and I can catch about 2 inches of air of the lip as well, hah.

I'm 6'3, 220 lbs and ride behind my Sunsetter LX DD with 1400 lbs or so, It's a decent wake but far from huge.

The only boards I've ever ridden are the O'brien Alias and Broadcasts. I rode a new Broadcast 5'4" last week behind a Supra 22V, it was decent but didn't raise my excitement meter at all. I like my beat old landlock better than those boards I've ridden. The only surf style board I've ridden was a Butter Churn
and I thought it was a slow pig.

I possibly may have an opportunity to snag either a Red Woody or Swallowtail for dirt cheap ($200 each ), I'm thinking of maybe snagging both if they are still available. The squirt looks like it could be a fun board as well.

I'm looking for a board I can progress on and that won't break the bank. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 06-02-2012 at 3:32 PM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-02-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
the is swallow is a great board, uber fast down the line and can run a quad of twin, i have one. im 6'4 and range in weight 220 to 240( damn beer) so it would work well. the new phase 5 trident is a great skim,surf style board for you as well. you can drop the fins to a single rear for true skim, just have the 2 twins or run it like a thesher with all 3, but is more than you may want to spend. the red woody or is blue lake would be great as well. i would lean toward the blue over the woody. stay away from wakeboard co surfboards and look for wakesurf specific companies.

I have had a bunch of junk and now a few hi end customs, it really depends on what you want in performance and how limited you are with your wave. I would stay away from any board that you have to pump to get speed. I would think you have a limited wave with average push and a shorter wave as well. (i had an older vlx and probably had a similiar wave as you do now) so i would jump on the swallow and run the IS big boy fins as a twin, really fast. hope this helps
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-02-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for suggestions, I'm really hoping hear I back from the people selling the Inlands. They've been used on a members boat for this country club development and they get new boards annually. The woody may be good boat board. As my body isn't agreeing with wakeboarding as much I find myself surfing more and more and ready to invest in something better.

As far as my wake, I run it fairly short and steep with the wedge and loaded down, it's on par or slightly better with most V Drives that I've ridden behind with stock ballasts plus people. I've never had the opportunity to ride behind a really loaded/big wave boat. I'm hoping to change that in a few years with a boat upgrade.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-02-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
i was an avid wakeboarder but my knees are shot, i cant have anymore knee surgery so i pretty much only wakesurf, sometime wakeskate, but i ended up selling my last malibu and buying an enzo, love it and just got a new 244 enzo. killer wave, soooo much push and it really allows you to have way more board options and no bags anywhere, not saying get a new boat, but the more you enjoy it, the more you really want that perfect wave. good luck
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-02-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
I just heard back from the seller, I'm picking up the Swallow tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some feedback after a few days of riding it. For the price I'm getting it for, I can resell if I don't like it.

I can only imagine how badass it would be to surf the Enzo! One of these days I'll end the fac sac madness.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
I just had a customer with an early 90s DD supra and he had about 1500lbs in it for surfing. He took out a Sweet Spot Pro and Shred Stixx Piranha for demo yesterday and actually preferred the Piranha quite a bit more because he also liked to ride aggressively and pump and slash around. The Sweet Spot is a very fast board, but its not designed to be ridden very aggressively.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-02-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
i have never road the piranha i have a 4'11 custom hasen, great board, but really needs to be pumped. i am at the edge of fatness to ride the sweet spot, so never really spent any time on one. i have bought and sold boards and made too many mistakes, so i try and not just buy and then dump them. stixx makes great boards, you cant go wrong with them, but need to make sure you know how they perform, seems like most peeps are not wanting a really agressive board until they have had a few others and know the positives and negatives. most my friends hate my hazen, but love the swallow. in the perfect world you have multiple boards for multiple things. hope you like the swallow
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
Doug, it just sounded like Jay rides aggressively. I think a Shred Stixx would fit his style a bit more than an Inland Surfer.
Quote:
I ride pretty aggressive with lots of hard slashes, slashes to reverts, I can pull an occasional 3, and I can catch about 2 inches of air of the lip as well, hah.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-02-2012, 10:42 PM Reply   
I'm hoping to make it to the lake tomorrow evening after I pick up this board. Unfortunately local shops don't demo their surfboards, demo days don't exist here, and I don't know anybody that seriously surfs with a quiver or high end board. I have a hard time dropping $500+ on something w/o riding it first. Having always ridden skim style boards it will be interesting to see the transition. I think surf style is what I'd like to get better at with learning airs, big cuts and what not. I don't really see myself trying to learn shuv-its and varials on a skim style, but you never know.

I've watched a bunch of vids of guys doing what I want to learn to do on the Swallow 5.3 I'm getting, it appears to be able to do what I will want it do. With this being my first real board I'll be able to gauge what I want in the future as far as likes/dislike. I'm just really hoping I don't have to pump the living crap out of this board to enjoy it as I have had to do on smaller boards behind my boat.

I can easily see myself having a quiver in the future as my snowboard quiver is pretty ridiculous.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-03-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
i want to build a new soul craft, seams like there are a lot of peeps really enjoying them, i want something uber fast in a twin that releases like my stixxs. I really dont care for the quad fin, i like the board to be loose, it seams to be smoother for me, i need to get some advice on the jetty or others. good luck
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-03-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
@doug The Walker Project boards are very fast maybe the fastest surf board on the market. There are only a couple of 4.5 boards that I can ride. I weigh 280# . The Flyboy was the first and now the new Signature model and Bomb Pop from TWP.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityxj View Post
I'm hoping to make it to the lake tomorrow evening after I pick up this board. Unfortunately local shops don't demo their surfboards, demo days don't exist here, and I don't know anybody that seriously surfs with a quiver or high end board. I have a hard time dropping $500+ on something w/o riding it first. Having always ridden skim style boards it will be interesting to see the transition. I think surf style is what I'd like to get better at with learning airs, big cuts and what not. I don't really see myself trying to learn shuv-its and varials on a skim style, but you never know.

I've watched a bunch of vids of guys doing what I want to learn to do on the Swallow 5.3 I'm getting, it appears to be able to do what I will want it do. With this being my first real board I'll be able to gauge what I want in the future as far as likes/dislike. I'm just really hoping I don't have to pump the living crap out of this board to enjoy it as I have had to do on smaller boards behind my boat.

I can easily see myself having a quiver in the future as my snowboard quiver is pretty ridiculous.
Jay I am guessing you are in Park City and are looking at getting the IS boards on KSL? You need to come out on a day that the Utah Surf Mafia get together. There is a group of about 6 or 7 guys in the greater SLC area that all own Centurions that get together regularly and surf. We have some big wave boats (Avalanches, Enzo's) and an amazing quiver of boards between us. Get me your contact info and we will shoot you an invite next time we get together.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-03-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
@bigcatpt, I do live in Park City and I'd love to come ride with you guys! I pm'd you my info. I got the board off KSL, but unfortunately not going to be able to make to the lake tonight. A buddy of ours got injured mtn biking today and we got held up, tomorrow night though!
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityxj View Post
@bigcatpt, I do live in Park City and I'd love to come ride with you guys! I pm'd you my info. I got the board off KSL, but unfortunately not going to be able to make to the lake tonight. A buddy of ours got injured mtn biking today and we got held up, tomorrow night though!
I got your contact info. I will give you a call next time the USM gets together. I think you will like the new board. It will be WAY faster than your old HL. Let us know how it goes!
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-08-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
I got out on my new Swallow three times this week and I'm really diggin it! The guy I bought from was like "good luck", evidently none of the members that used it could ride it. He encouraged me to buy the Red Woody he had for sale, but I passed. It's way faster than my old Landlock and I can get a lot further back in the pocket. I don't have to pump my brains out when I get back closer.

Day one was behind my DD Sunsetter LX with only my wife and a buddy. I rode it w/the quad fins as I forgot to to bring the inserts to take them out. I was impressed but not too stoked as I was unable to break it free and really slay it.

Day two was behind my buddies new Supra 22V, with just the stock ballast and his kid on the boat The wake was smaller than mine and dirty. I took out the center fins and it's a huge difference! I was able to break it loose on the lip fs/bs, get my threes around and get the fins out of the water w/small airs. After taking the fins off the board became a different animal!

We went out tonight with buddy on the 22V again this time with four kids, and my wife. I also brought my 750 lb sac and threw it on the floor in front of the back seat. The wake was decent size but far from clean. He's a newb to surfing and ballast so we're going to have to play around w/the configuration to get it dialed.

Overall I think after a little more time I'm going to really learn some new stuff. I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to the surf style, but I love it. I'm able to shred it much harder too, my wife said it was the best she'd ever seen me ride despite the less than ideal wave. I can't wait to ride it behind a big wave!

Here's a pic of me and the wave with my Sunsetter DD to show what I'm working with. This is with 750 on the side, 600 on the bench, 400 in the locker, wedge, my 110 lb wife and a 150 lb buddy sitting on the dog house. The perspective of the pic doesn't really show how long it is and I was up pretty close. It's on average mid thigh to waist (I'm 6'3") depending on the people. I'm trying to find a way to get another sac to beef it up even more w/o the wife knowing, I think I've got the wave pretty close to being maxed out for a DD though.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 06-08-2012 at 8:27 PM.