Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    waterdog2            01-26-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
I need to alter my bimini top to fit a new tower. The pipe fit's perfect in a 3/4 " electrician's pipe bender. Past experience trying to bend copper tubeing with same bender produced cracks. Will the aluminum pipe crack ? And does anyone know where to get a coupling to fit the same tubeing, Taco doesent make one. Any help is greatly apreciated
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-26-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
Try filling the tube with sand & then start the bending process.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-26-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Aluminum shouldn't crack, not as brittle as copper. Use alot of foot pressure when bending, helps with not kinking the pipe. And you can make a sleeve to fit inside the pipe and secure it with screws. Welding it would be best.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-26-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
You should be fine, your likely only changing a bend a little
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 10:28 PM Reply   
I modified my old bimini to fit under my monster tower. I cut about 8" out of the center and narrowed the bows. I found aluminum tubing at the local Orchard supply hardware that fits perfectly inside the 3/4 aluminum tubes. I just used some screws to secure the pipe joints. If you can't find any I still have a section that I can send you. I did use my electricians bender to add a little more bend to the bows as well. Since I was only adding about 5 degrees I didn't need to worry about flat spots. (having lots of pipe bending experience as an electrician didn't hurt either)

Send me a note if you need my left over inside sleeve.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-27-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
the conduit bender will definitely work, and aluminum bends well. the only thing that may happpen is the anodizing can crack if it's bent too much.
Old    waterdog2            01-27-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Thank's for everyones help. I still have a month or two before I actually have to do it, but it's nice to be fore warned of problems.
Monster, You called it before about the bimini not fitting, so you can say, I TOLD YOU SO. Im sort of wishing I would have went with the monster for certain reasons. But brand X look's pretty good on my boat and is pretty stiff, I just hate the feet and there instructions really sucked. I got there 05 model and I think they were still working out the instructions. I think ill go with the monster racks. Thank's again everyone.