Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-17-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
I bought 2 pairs of B 60 this weekend and when I went to put dynamat in them found out that they had discus series 6.5 drivers instead of the reference series. anybody know the difference between them. I will be going back to talk to them about this and at least my reciept says they are to have the reference series in them. Has anybody got Boss speakers with the wrong drivers in them???
Old    xtigeman            03-17-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
You got jipped. Different tweets, different cross overs and different drivers. The Reference series driver will play lower and sound smoother. The discuss tweeter sounds pretty harsh. The Reference tweeter is an improvement. The crossover will actually make more of a difference then you realize.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-17-2003, 4:33 PM Reply   
They have the right tweeter and crossover just wrong 6.5 driver dealer says bring them in and they will put the right drivers in I'am just glad I put dynamat in or I would have never known.
Old    jeff_lagoon            03-17-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
Why do you need dynamat in the can? Does it really make a diff?
Old    xtigeman            03-17-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
Jeff:

Dynamat makes a huge difference with metal cans. Metal cans have a ring to them or resonate and result in some standing wave distortion. The dynamat deadens the chamber and cleans the sound up very nicely.

Also, the Boss cannister have a hole between the tweeter tube and the 6.5 can. Cover that hole with Dynamat and run Dynamat to the very edge and/or where the speaker will sit. This will create an air tight chamber which will allow you to drive the speakers even harder and it will improve sound quality.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
So Eric, Whats the rest of the story. I don't have to send my B 60s back to boss my local stereo shop is going to take care of it today. They stock all the Boss speakers.
Old    xtigeman            03-18-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
They stock Boss Marine stuff? There is a big difference between Boss Car Audio and Boss Marine audio stuff. Different companies and Boss car audio stuff is crap.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
Doug they stock all the Boss Marine stuff they do install for most of the boat dealers in the Portland area.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Doug they sell most of the major brands of tower speakers and on Boss they are a lot cheaper I paid 275.00 less than what one of the internet companys sell them for. They also sell the Boss can without speakers so you can put what you want in them.

(Message edited by tcaton on March 18, 2003)
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Tom, what company in Portland sells for these low prices? Any idea what a B-60 cannister would cost with no speakers in it?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
B 530 cans are 299.00 a pair not sure what b60 are but will find out today and let you know
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Tom! It is such a better deal to just buy the cannisters and get speakers separately. You can get the reference series 5 1/4 and 6 1/2's all day long on Internet sites for less than $300 for the pair, which would make the whole 530 set up for $600. Sorry for the bad news Erik. I just bought 3 pair of the Reference series RSC 213's for under $400 from Sounddomain with a price match, and they warranty the speakers too.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
Erik, the dealer here in portland orders the cans empty from boss, price includes the clamps. he told me infinity fits the cans perfectly just like the mb quarts do. the cans come either white or black powder coated.

(Message edited by tcaton on March 18, 2003)
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
Tom, what is the dealers name and phone # that sells the canisters with clamps? Thanks
Old    xtigeman            03-18-2003, 6:21 PM Reply   
Tom:

I bought two of my 3 Boss sets empty and put my own speakers in them. I paid $ 250 or so for empty B-50 and empty B-60s directly from Boss. This was two summers ago so am not sure of price now.

Erik:

A weld broke? That is bad luck. Those things seem very well made.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
Not necessarily bad luck. I saw the cans off of a 530 snap back in October. It does happen on the 530's. The canister broke right where the mount attaches to the speaker.
Old    xtigeman            03-18-2003, 7:24 PM Reply   
I guess I can see the 530s having issues like that. More weight and weight off to one side a bit. The B-50s and B-60s seem to be well made, but mine are older. Maybe their quality has gone down hill in the last year or so.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
I would think it would just be an issue with the 530's since all the weight is either in the center, or off on one side. Too much stress on those joints in the rough water and double ups.

I am sure Phaeton can come out with an add on product for all of us to fix this issue! I will put money on it that he fabricates some extra brackets for his new set up. Phaeton, they need you as a designer/engineer!
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-18-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
haha thanks Brent.
When mine come in I will take a look at them. I already have a couple of quick inexpensive ideas running through my head to fix the problem. I will keep you posted.

I believe the stereo shop that carry's them in Portland is Stereo King. Tom will have to confirm that.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
Phaeton, Yep it's Stereo King. The one on 82nd ave. ask for Dave he is the one who does all the boat installs. They have the best prices on Boss beats all the internet sites that carry them. Phaeton what do you like to use dynamat or the stuff you have talked about before, also where did you get that fitting you used to run the wires through the hull on your Alpina.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-19-2003, 3:19 AM Reply   
Tom I like V-Max, it sticks better than Dynamat. Also http://www.cascadeaudio.com which makes it is in Bend.
The fitting is a bilge exhaust port for a jet ski. I got it onine somewhere just do a search for jet ski parts.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-19-2003, 8:52 PM Reply   
Tom, are you sure on those 530 prices? I called them today and the price wasn't even close to 299. Dave couldn't even give me a price on the cans without speakers because he said he had never ordered them like that before.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-19-2003, 11:46 PM Reply   
There is no way that Stereo King in Portland can sell Boss B-530 empty cans, painted black or white, and including mounts for $299. It costs Boss more than that to make these. If that were the price, Wakeside could sell over 100 sets a day! Maybe it was a B-50 empty can?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
Well they were double cans with tweeter tube with boss clamps so I assumed they were boss cans sure look like them. but he might be having them made somewhere else and just using boss clamps.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
Mike they also sell Boss B 60 for 225.00 less then you do how is that possible.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
Sorry Mike its 125.00 less.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-20-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
So does anyone know a good place to get the empty B-530s? I almost ordered them from wakeside a week ago, but its been hard pulling the trigger on a $1200 set of speakers.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
Mike, Sorry again. The price on the empty cans are 399.00 was quoted a lot of different prices that day and got them mixed up.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
I am going over (in person) to Stereo King on 82nd Avenue in SE Portland. Wakeside's office is 20 minutes from there and I would like to see if they truly are selling genuine Boss Accessories empty B-530 speaker cans painted black or white with mounts for $399. If they are, then we will find a way to sell the same thing at the same or better pricing.
Old    chris_hargis            03-20-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
Dynamat question (or V-max for Phaeton).

I can understand using it on metal cans, but what about PVC cans? Should I use it in the ones I am building?
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
Boss informed me that Stereo King has never purchased the Boss B-530 empty cans or B-530 complete tower speakers.

They have purchased both B-50 and B-60 empty cans from Boss. They sell the B-50 and B-60 empty cans. I have been sold that Stereo King also puts the the Discus Series of MB Quart into the B-60 empty cans and sells them as B-60's. The problem is that B-60's come from Boss with the Reference Series MB Quarts. Therefore, the complete Boss Speakers from Stereo King are not really Boss B-60's. They have a much lower end component speaker.

I believe that these speakers should be called Stereo King tower speakers - not Boss tower speakers! Someone is trying to pull a fast one.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
Mike, Thanks for finding this out. They made a big mistake by putting on the recipt I got when I purchased them "B60 SPK W/MB Q RSC216" Mike are the rsc 216 the reference series speakers? so this is why they sell them for less than you. I f they wont fix the problem I will return them and order from you.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
Tom,

Yes the RSC216 component speakers are "Reference Series". The model numbers that start with "D" are "Discus Series". I don't know if it was a "big mistake" or not but I do know that they buy empty cans from Boss and put whatever speaker they want in the cans which is fine. The problem starts when they call it a Boss B-60 with RSC216 when that is not what you got.

Mike
Wakeside.com
Old    xtigeman            03-20-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Maybe you shouldn't really post "my Boss speakers came with the wrong drivers." If a deal seems too good to be true it usually is. Sounds like your beef is with the shop leading you to the false conclusion that you were buying authentic Boss speakers systems at a discount price.
Old    xtigeman            03-20-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
Chris:
Although you didn't ask for my input, Dynamat would be useful in PVC also. PVC, however, is a better materially sonically than aluminum or metal. Wood is even better. May help eliminate standing waves, you cover up any tiny holes to make airtight, and it will further deaden unwanted noise even in PVC or wood.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 5:44 PM Reply   
Mike who can I contact at boss to find out if they even called the rep for this area. They told me that they called the rep to find out why it has the wrong driver in it. What seams strange is that the crossover and the tweeter are the ones that come with the reference series only the 6.5 is a discus series. This was monday when they called the rep and as of today they said he has not got back to them

(Message edited by tcaton on March 20, 2003)
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
Doug, When I started this thread that what I thought was wrong that Boss had made a mistake. I am now hearing from Mike that they buy empty can and put there own speakers in the so now yes it's a different problem one that I will solve they made the mistake to put on there Sales recipt that they have the RSC 216 speakers in them and thats what I will get.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
Tom, did you ever find out what the B-60 empty cannisters cost? If you can buy those for $300 or less, and buy the MB Quart Reference series speakers for $125 (price matched at Sounddomain.com), that is a sweet deal. Even with the 530's at $399, and the Reference series speakers to match for less than $300 at sounddomain.com, that is a great deal too.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
Brent No I havent found out yet I will be going there tommorrow to get my problem solved so I will ask what the price is on the 60 cans.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-20-2003, 8:49 PM Reply   
Tom, ask them what their price is on the empty 530s as well. I don't think any of the prices discussed here are right.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2003, 11:14 PM Reply   
Tom,

I talked to the owner and president of Boss today. He is working on this problem. Wakeside.com is the largest authorized Internet dealer for Boss. We would never sell the any of the Boss tower speaker line with downgraded drivers unless we advertised it as such for value shoppers.

If I were you, I would return what was sold to you as B-60's and get real B-60's with the correct Reference Series drivers.

By the way, most of our customers want to upgrade not downgrade. This year we will be offering a Premium Series upgrade for any of the Boss Tower speakers. We are waiting for MB Quart to start shipping their new PCE and RCE versions of their Premium and Reference Series lines. These new component speakers can double as either component separates or set up as co-axial because of the way they are designed. They also have new crossovers.

The new Premium Series upgrade option will sound incredible in the new B-62's (replaces B-60's) and the new B-653's (replaces B-530's). The main difference on this years models is that they have a polished front bezel and rounded convex cans. I saw a pair of B-653's a few weeks ago and I think they look great.

By the way, if anyone wants the 2002 version of the B-530 in Polished or the B-60 in either Polished or Black, we still have a few left in stock and will discount them to make room for the new 2003 versions. They will sound exactly the same - only the look has changed.

We will post the details on the new models by Friday or Saturday.

Let me know the exact pricing that Stereo King offers for genuine Boss B-60 and B-530 empty cans with mounts. I am real curious. The B-530's must be over $700 a pair. I would guess over $800 a pair.

Mike Hellweg
http://www.wakeside.com/
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2003, 11:34 PM Reply   
"Has anybody got Boss speakers with the wrong drivers in them"

This sounds like a simple mistake that can be easily corrected with a phone call.

Am I the only one thinking that people should more careful about posting smearing things about manufacturers on the internet?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-21-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
Dane, whos smearing things about the manufacture and that would be Boss it's the damm dealer who sold them to me Stereo King that is buying empty cans and putting down graded drivers in them and still calling them Boss B 60. Boss is helping me solve this problem and I thank them for it.

(Message edited by tcaton on March 21, 2003)
Old    chris_hargis            03-21-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Doug.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-21-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Mike,

What kind of deal can you offer on the B-530 with speakers? Email me directly if you do not want to post to the board.

Paul
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-21-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
Well my problem is solved and I want to say Thank You to Rio Morales at Boss for handling this they are going to replace my drivers free of charge even though they did not install them Stereo King did. After several calls to Stereo King and them trying to play dumm I found out through Mike at Wakeside and Rio that they buy the cans empty and install there own drivers putting the cheaper series of MB Quart in. Also want to say thanks to Mike at Wakeside for his help I would just return them but Stereo King will not do it. Sorry Mike I should have bought them from you.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-21-2003, 9:12 PM Reply   
Tom,

Glad to hear that your problem is solved and the Boss did you a big favor. We have had the same experience with Boss - they usually go the extra mile!

Mike
Old    xtigeman            03-22-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have dealt directly with Boss to empty cannisters on two occassions. They were extremely cool to deal with even though, at that time, they did not really sell the cannisters empty.