Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-05-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...e-punched.html

Terrible
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-05-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
More illegals playing in unaffiliated leagues. Crap like this happens all the time in my area, but luckily no one has been killed yet. What a shame.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2013, 8:40 PM Reply   
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25064463&section=featured-story

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25041667&section=local
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-06-2013, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
More illegals playing in unaffiliated leagues. Crap like this happens all the time in my area, but luckily no one has been killed yet. What a shame.
Which one of these people wasn't a citizen? I haven't read anything about that anywhere.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-06-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Best way to load illegal aliens here in texas is bring the buses and the border patrol to weekend end soccer games.... Target rich environment..
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-06-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Terrible break on all sides. The kid shouldn't have punched him, but I am sure he didn't plan to kill him either. It will be bad for everyone.

I've seen a few fierce fights at the lake--Wakeboarders and Fishermen; Wakeboarders and jetskis, etc. Going to blows just isn't worth it. You never know if one punch because you lost your temper could send you to prison for a long time.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-06-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
What exactly does unaffiliated league mean? Affiliated with whom?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-06-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
What exactly does unaffiliated league mean? Affiliated with whom?
Around where i live, you have AYSO, club soccer, mens leagues, womens leagues, semi pro, indoor leagues. All of these are sanctioned by an association of some sort. There is an official sign up, insurance, etc.
Now, i am speaking for only where i live when i discuss unaffiliated leagues. They are where the farmworkers, and there families play. They have uniforms, referees, and leave loads of trash at the park after their games. The park near my house used to allow them to play as long as they paid the permit fees. After at least 5 incidents of fights during games which included youths and adults, the parks dept finally told them no to the permits. Now, they show up on weekends when no other leagues are using the fields, and bring their own portable goals, and utilize the fields. Still have the garbage, and the ocassional fights. The parks wont do anything about it, and the police keep coming by and arresting people when they are called out. But that is only when you have witnesses who care, and are willing to cooperate.

Sorry for the long rant. This league sounds all too familiar to the nonsense in my town.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-06-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
When I was growing up only the nerds and hispanics played soccer. One day around 1997 I drove past a park and it was packed with kids playing soccer. I pulled over and thought to myself, good Lord when did this happen? Literally no kids playing baseball, none throwing the football around or shooting hoops...it was all soccer. I slowly drove off wondering where it all went wrong.... Ok kidding sort of but this story is a heart breaker. Why do soccer fans and players have such a hard time keeping their cool? I mean all you have to do is go on youtube and watch some soccer matches and it's nearly as bad as hockey. The kids should go to jail he murdered someone plain and simple. While he may not of intended for the ref to die, he did intentionally harm him with intent to hurt him. 46 years old with 3 daughters and grandkids. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to he family.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-06-2013, 9:14 PM Reply   
Hey Flight... just curious. Have you ever punched anyone in your life?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
Why do soccer fans and players have such a hard time keeping their cool? I mean all you have to do is go on youtube and watch some soccer matches and it's nearly as bad as hockey. The kids should go to jail he murdered someone plain and simple.
Two points....

1. What? Soccer fans and players having a hard time keeping their cool, almost as bad as hockey???? Assuming we are talking about youth sports, you're lost.... Players keeping their cool..... Yea....soccer players are crazy mean..... Hockey???? WTF??? When was the last time you went to amateur hockey game? Tell me about the fans and players...?

2. The kid is in jail(juvenile at this time), though assume he'll be charged as an adult. I think the DA will get some type of manslaughter conviction via plea bargain.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
ADD: This is a tragedy on every level. First and foremost, a family lost a loved one, husband, father, child ect.....all due to a senseless act. It is tough enough to lose someone we love, but to a senseless act of violence....I could not imagine having to process that.

That said, it was an act that nobody assumed would have this type of result. Even though there is/was no excuse for the behavior, I sympathize for the kid and now having to live with the mistake he made. No legal conviction, restitution or "being sorry" is going to change that he took a man's life in anger....and he'll have to take that to his grave.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-07-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
That doesn't matter. Its the risk you take when you decide to strike someone. If the results of your actions cause another person serious injury, you are liable criminally and civilly no matter if you intended the result or not. A friend of mine got hit trying to break up a fight, fell down and lost his life a while back. The guy didn't intend to kill him, but he died none the less and he was held responsible for his actions.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-08-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Charged today as an adult....felony homicide by assault, http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...-salt.html.csp

Last edited by deuce; 05-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2013, 5:19 PM Reply   
so it looks like he could get from 3 to 5 years...that does not seem like justice.
Old     (Workingdds)      Join Date: May 2013       05-08-2013, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hey Rich
I have punched people in my life but not a referee in a soccer match. I hope that you don't have children or they will be hopelessly raised like this child was
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-08-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
^^ did you actually just join this forum only to say that?
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2013, 9:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workingdds View Post
Hey Rich
I have punched people in my life but not a referee in a soccer match. I hope that you don't have children or they will be hopelessly raised like this child was
All I did was ask a question. I made no statement of opinion whatsoever. The fact that you could jump to any conclusion about me or my family... let alone that you would think it was appropriate to join this forum just to post here AND send me a Personal Message insulting me... simply shows that you may need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

My guess is you're pretty passionate about this for some reason. That's totally fine. Be passionate. Just don't act irrationally the way you have here. I would hate to see you do something rash and find that what you did had unintended consequences.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-08-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
We all do things that risk seriously hurting others, this kid made a mistake and got a hot head and punched a ref. None of us know the situation, its a different situation for the kid than it was for the ref than it is for the people at the sidelines. I hate that it happened, its a tragedy.

An unaffiliated team and/or league is a team and/or league that has never been affiliated with the United States Soccer Federation or has left the Federation voluntarily (on its own terms) and was in good standing with the federation and its state association at the time of its departure.

I know a lot of teams like this, they just arent affiliated with the federation, they are not an outlaw team that has been banned?
Why is everyone talking about deporting illegals? Because its soccer?
Well they did live in Utah, so he musta beena mormon too, while were at shipping all them there illegals outa here we better ship them mormons back ta space or that island they from.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-08-2013, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
all i did was ask a question. I made no statement of opinion whatsoever. The fact that you could jump to any conclusion about me or my family... Let alone that you would think it was appropriate to join this forum just to post here and send me a personal message insulting me... Simply shows that you may need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

My guess is you're pretty passionate about this for some reason. That's totally fine. Be passionate. Just don't act irrationally the way you have here. I would hate to see you do something rash and find that what you did had unintended consequences.
tell it