Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-05-2013, 5:42 PM Reply   
So my wife got me a Nikon D5200 yesterday. My last good camera was a Minolta X700. So it's been a while since not using a point and shoot.

I know many here are into photography. I am looking for some help on what to get first (must haves) and what sites are the best for camera equipment. It came with the body and 18-55 lens. Any help is appreciated.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-06-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
I will be interested to hear what others say. I have never had a good camera but my fiance and I are going to buy one soon. I think we are going to buy the predecessor to the D5200 which is the D5100 in a bundle that will come with 2 lenses, one of which is a 55-300. The D5100 vs the D3200 seem to be about the same price but other than the added megapixels the D5100 seems to be the better of the 2.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2013, 9:05 PM Reply   
I have a D5100 that came with the 18-55 and 55-300. I bought a prime 35 mm for low light conditions online from Nikon after searching other retailers. Basically had the same prices as a discount store or Ebay. Also, I used this web site to learn how to do more custom photos especially indoor sports shots in poor lighting. http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/
Old    alanp            04-07-2013, 12:23 AM Reply   
hey justin- sorry not much help on the camera. i have a cannon dslr that i rarely use anymore. switched over to a micro 4/3 camera which i love. hauling around a full sized body just wasnt convenient and i often left it at home. anyway with with my cannon i have a couple lenses, both tamron, a wide angle and a zoom. there are much more expensive lenses but these work pretty well. i would dump the cheap plastic lens that came with the camera asap(wouldve been better for her to have just picked up a body imo). check craigslist, i picked my lenses there.

btwn im out of the country still, will call you when i get home.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-07-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
+1 on the 35 or 50mm prime lens. really good for portrait work, and thats what most of us shoot most of the time.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
All depends on what you want to do with it. I think a 55-300 or similar is about the max you will need. I carry several large cameras and find for casual stuff we grab the rebel with stock canon lenses. If you are going to take it more serious, than remember the better quality glass(lens) the better the photo generally. Also if you buy quality glass it holds its' value. Take a MILLION photos and have fun with it. Try every setting you have. Also get photoshop or equivalent so you learn how to tweak your work.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-08-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advise. I will just be using it for family activities and sports. I did use a 70-300 on my old SLR when I was using it. I would use a zoom and am waiting to get one. Checking Craigslist and Ebay. I am trying every setting. I don't want to get stuck with a DSLR and leave it on auto for everything I shoot.