Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-05-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
HI,

Got my boat for the first time out on the lake today. But the water level is pretty low, and a scarped the bottom. Doesn't seems major, but the prop got a bit of damage.

Can i drive my boat like that with no issues? Can i get this easily repaired?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
No and yes
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-05-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
STOP driving it. And get it repaired as soon as you can, you might have to spend between $120.00 and $200.00 for your prop to get repaied
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-06-2010, 1:01 AM Reply   
That looks pretty minor. If the lake is low, don’t you run the risk of hitting bottom again? I don’t see what the rush is as long as it still runs smooth and is not off balance. Then again, I'm not a mechanic or a prop manufacture so what do I know.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2010, 4:25 AM Reply   
Damn man you're getting off to a rough start.Call Acme Propellers to see if they recommend a place in your area to fix it.You shouldn't use it like that,it could cause more dammage.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-06-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
i got a prop with minor damage repaired here:

http://www.nettleprops.com/store/pg/21-Contact-Us.aspx

wasn't too expensive think it was around $80 and looks like new again
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-06-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
I would fix the prop right away and it should not cost more than $120. I would imagine that your boat is shacking pretty good and that will just screw up your drive shaft.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-06-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
I'm glad i asked, because I would have used the boat all summer like that, the damage seems very minor to me like that.

Now i need to remove this to bring it to a repair shop. Do i need a special tool?
I tried to remove it before but couldn't do it, it seems to be stuck there.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-06-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
BTW i didn't notice any shaking, but again i'm new to this...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
While its unlikely to cause damage you could get harmonic vibration and dammage you shaft and/or cutlass bearing. Its best to have it fixed.

You'll need a prop puller.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-06-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
This is what I have, and it works like a charm!

http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...oducts_id=3346
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-06-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
^^^ I have that. Works like a charm. I would also try and pick up a spare prop. I always carry mine to the lake with me just in case. That way you dont waste a good day out on the water.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
I have the same puller also... works good.

If you don't want to buy a puller and have a local shop. Give the guy $20 and I am sure he would be happy to pull it for you.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
I would get it repaired for sure. If you were on holiday's or something and needed a couple more days out of it I would just try and bang it out a bit with a mallet and piece of wood to straighten as much as you could. Spare prop is a good idea. I keep a spare and my prop puller in my boat so I just have to waddle back to the boat launch to replace and get back out.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-06-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Well getting a new prop might be an idea. This way i could get a spare one. I expect this to happen quite often as the lake here is pretty shallow.

I have an acme 537 on my supreme v220 with a 330 hp scorpion.

Should i get the same prop or could i get another one and upgrade this one? What would you recomend?
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-06-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
You will wear out your vdrive packing pretty quick if you don't get it fixed & balanced
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
If you are thinking of upgrading call Acme and tell them what you are running for boat/weight and what you do wakeboard/surf and they will give you excellent recommendations.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Deff.callAcme and they will tell you what you need,cause if that one is like the one Supreme or whoever propped the boat put on put on mine,could use an upgrade.I got a ski prop with mine.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-07-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
how shallow are we talking? i would find a deeper lake (unless you live right on this lake)
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-07-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
The cheapest solution for now seems to be sending my prop to acme and get it repaired there. And this way i'm pretty sure it's going to be done right.

But I might also buy a cheap spare prop, so if you have one for sale, i'm interested.

Looking for the same specs (or close, maybe lower pitch) as my acme 537 (13.5X16 LH 1 1-8)

And yes the lake i'm at is pretty shallow, It's actually the st-lawrence river on the south shore of montreal. The prop shops around the area are pretty busy with prop repairs.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-07-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
oh the st lawrence river. was up there fishing about a month ago and the water was wicked low. also insanely rough its ALWAYS windy there
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Believe it or not I have had some luck repairing props with that type of damage myself. Using a babbitt mallet and some dolly's measuring with my molding gauge I can get them pretty close. If I was in your shoes I would just replace the prop and either repair the damaged prop myself or find a shop like Nettle that does them for a reasonable price. Acme props cannot be repaired to original, close but they won't run as well.