Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-04-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
Has anybody figured out a way to convert a non-bolster seat into a bolster seat? I have an older 97 Moomba outback, and the drivers seat bottom is a one-peace removable cushion.

I've been looking at these brackets: http://www.teclausa.com/marine/bracketsrb.html. I was thinking I could split the seat cushion 70/30, have some upholstery done, and call it good.

Has anybody else attempted something like this?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       05-05-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
check this

http://www.wakesiderides.com/malibu/viewArticle.php?id=162
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       05-05-2009, 5:24 AM Reply   
Sorry...didn't realize that was Malibu specific until after I linked it. At least there may be
some ideas to get you started.

Good luck!
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
My uplohstery guy is doing mine now not sure how but you can call him I know he has the brackets to do it. give him my name (jason) and he should hook you up . Leanny leading edge marine

w-865-408-1900
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
sorry his name is lenny not leanny lol
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Maybe I am a little ghetto but I just throw a couple type IV square throwables on the seat.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
MC has been using the Tecla mounts since about 2000. If u have the room, probably the best choice to use.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-05-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Would be interested to hear more about a real do it yourself version, not buying one.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
I can second the ghetto...I stack folded towels on my seat to get the lift when I want it...I really wish I had a fold up though. My next boat will for sure! I have thought about just having an upholstery shop make me a custom cushion for it.
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-05-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
Tim,
That link is great. That's exactly what I was looking at doing. If I give it a shot, I'll post up my findings as to how difficult it is and how much it costs.
Old     (formulad97)      Join Date: May 2007       05-05-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
heres another one

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-05-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I did a conversion for my 99 CC Pro Air, and used the Tecla mounts. I found a thread on the Mailbu crew that described a good way to do it if you need to mod the existing seat base. I was able to do what you suggested, and cut the front ~30% of the seat bottom and had them both recovered.
A couple of things to keep in mind;

1. make sure the front part of the bolster will fit in between the sides supports when it's rolled back or up.

2. Check that you will have a good way to attach the brackets to the existing seat shell/bottom. Mine was hollow so just putting screws in there might have worked, but the seat base is polyproplyne, and not all that thick. I ended up using a combination of "T nuts" and regular bolt and nut combo.

It took more time than I thought (don't ALL boat projects ) but we've been using it for two seasons now, and my wife loves it, and I find myself using it quite a bit.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-05-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
Couple of throw cushions all the way! Gotta have em on board anyway might as well put em to good use!
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-06-2009, 5:09 AM Reply   
I also use the throwables (I just need one).

My Supra has a bolster seat, but I find it pretty
uncomfortable after not too long.