Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I'm going to go check out a 2002 v210 for 21500 this week with 200 hours totally clean in and out. Black scorpion motor, no fat sacks or ballast system. Is this a good deal?

I don't know much about owning a boat this will be my first.

I've been looking for a Sanger, a malibu or a mastercraft.

My lady wants the malibu but I can't find one in my price range unless it has 500 hours on it. Is 500 hours too much for a 20 k boat that's 8 years old?

Thanks for helping me out I know it's annoying seeing these same threads pop up everyday. I've been doing my research but still it helps to get input from people about my specific situation. Thanks again.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
500 hundred hours on an 8 year old boat isn't much at all. If the boat is in good condition and he has some service records 500 hours wouldn't scare me at all.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
Would you rather have a wakesetter with 500 hours or a v210?

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I feel prices will come down thru the winter. Or would of these boats be a fair deal?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
500 hundred hours on an 8 year old boat isn't much at all. If the boat is in good condition and he has some service records 500 hours wouldn't scare me at all.
I agree with this. I would rather have a well taken care of and serviced boat with 500 hours over a neglected boat with 150 hours.

That sounds about right for the 2002 V210. The Black Scorpion is nice to have mostly because of the flatter sundeck. You should expect to spend 750-1000 to plumb in a 3 sack system. Also probably another 1200 or so for PP.

If you are willing to come up to Seattle there is a 2001Wakesetter VLX for 20k.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Personally I would rather have the wakesetter. The main reason is because I am familiar with Malibu boats and don't know much about Sanger other than the folks on here that have them seem to love them. This is why you need to take both boats out and test drive them if you can.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindblur View Post
Would you rather have a wakesetter with 500 hours or a v210?

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I feel prices will come down thru the winter. Or would of these boats be a fair deal?
Both boats are really good and I wouldn't be scared of a boat with 500 hours on it especially if taken care of. A boat that has been used regularly and maintained is much better than a boat with less hours and ignored, read not taken care of.

Sometimes waiting for the winter to buy a boat could be a negative as most sellers know that since they've already held the boat through the fall, it makes sense to just sell it in the spring when boat hunters begin to pop up. The last boat I sold was in the summer and there was a lot of demand for it. I just bought another boat about a month ago, it was a 2003 Sanger V230 with 360 hours on it.

I looked was looking at Malibu LSV's, Cent. Avalanches and Sanger V230's. The Bu's were nice, but just spendy, people pay up for Bu's, my last boat was a Malibu. The Avalanches I looked at were nice, a little worn for how new they were, owner neglect. One Sanger I looked at was a bit beat and then the one I bought was super clean and taken care of.

I looked for months and didn't rush and wound up driving to AZ from CA to buy the boat. If you can, take a friend who knows boats and knows what to look for with you, it will help to have a 2nd opinion so you don't make a rash decision.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
The malibu i've been eying just sold is21500 a fair price for a 2002 v210 in good condition? I'm going to have the boat checked out by a mechanic tomorrow.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Have you seen these? My guess is that you're looking for a V-drive.

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/boa/1911430327.html

http://modesto.craigslist.org/boa/1895691170.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1941390620.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/1926279857.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1950758848.html

http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/1937195475.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/1873785463.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1948657422.html

Last edited by twelve02; 09-14-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
I would not shy away from a Sanger V210, if you find one in good condition it has the ability to throw a great wake. I ride a friends regularly and we sack the heck out of it, pushing close to 2,500 pounds of ballast. He has nearly 700 hours on it and she runs like a champ. The boat likes weight forward and is a great reliable pull! Despite its low freeboard, I think it handles chop better than the Malibu you are looking at.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I've called about every boat you posted and both of the ones I'm interested in are in those links. Thanks so much for the links. I just tried calling again on some of the ones that I haven't gotten ahold of the sellers.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
The sanger will have a really nice rampy wake even without ballast. Add 1000 lbs and you will get booted!
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
I was looking at both too. Made an offer on a 2001 Wakesetter but couldn't strike a deal. Looked at a (2) 2001 v210s and ended up lucking out and found a 2005 v210 sanger. Love it. The fit and finish on the Malibu v the 2001 v210s is much better IMO. The 2001s have carpet with cup holders in the corners of the seating at towards the stern and the cushions aren't as nice as the malibus. The 2005 Sangers are much better interior than they used to be.

My Sanger rides great and had 560 hrs on it.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
If you could have a v230 or a v210 which would you go for?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindblur View Post
If you could have a v230 or a v210 which would you go for?
If they are the same year, have the same options and are in the same shape, personally I would choose the V230. That is because I like bigger boats though and don't have any worries about towing or storage. Keep in mind the V230 will be bigger and heavier to tow, require more weight to get a good wake and will burn more fuel.

V210 pros-great wake with minimum weight, very fuel efficient, easier to tow and drives better.

V230 pros-more interior room, more storage, deeper, better surf wake(because you can sink one side with more weight), better in big water(not necessarily the ride but it woiuld be deeper and feel safer) and might have the potential for a bigger wake(you will have to throw a ton of weight in it though).
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
My buddy is selling his 2005 Malibu iRide (vapor blue) for $28k (i know a little higher than you'd like).... It's pretty hooked up though.. It's got 75.6 hours and here are some details:

Docking lights,
Bow Rails,
Illusion X tower with 4 speakers, bimini top and board racks)
MLS Ballast (bow)
Isolator switch with dual batteries
Wind block
2 jump seats
flip up bolster seat
4 pop out cleats,
popup bow light
depth finder
two outlet heater
perfect pass cruise control
MP3 Stereo (10 speakers)
2 amps (1 two channel, 1 four channel)
Insulated Motorbox
Table
Hot water shower
Boat Cover
Fiberglass swimstep
Manual Wedge
rear LED lights
Transom remote
Extreme trailer with LED lights and Spare tire
320 LCR Motor (75.6 hours)

Let me know if you would like pictures... or more info...

AP

Last edited by AP; 09-15-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: accidentally put 5.6 hours instead of 75.6
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention the stainless exhaust tips as well...

Old    Chris            09-15-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I haven't listed it anywhere yet, but I have a 1999 Response LX for sale ($18,500). I think I have about 180 hours on it (yes, only 180). I'm the original owner. If you're willing to drive to Denver (fresh water boat!), let's talk. Here's a quick list off the top of my head:

Custom Sunbrella snap-on travel cover
Factory Sunbrella storage cover
Two 350 lb side sacs
Two Rule pumps
Tandem Extreme trailer with fold-away toungue
Manual Wedge
ACME CNC NiBRAL prop (I don't recall the # - I'd have to look)
Titan Series I tower with Titan board racks
8' RF sub in Audioformz fiberglass enclosure
Kicker Reference Series tower speakers in Titan Bullet enclosures
Crunch 700W 5-channel amp with class D sub channel
Kicker 400W 2-channel amp for tower speakers

I know this is standard language for an ad, but you simply won't find a cleaner, well maintained boat than mine. It's a garage queen. It does not see the light of day unless it's on the water.

If you're interested, I'll sweeten the deal with some equipment (ropes, boards, tubes, etc.). I'd like to get rid of it sooner rather than later. I don't have any pictures available at the moment.
Old    Chris            09-15-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Here's a pic.
Attached Images

Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-15-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Looking for vdrives...
Old    Chris            09-15-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
My bad. Thanks for lookin'.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
oops.. my bad too.. good luck! Hope you find a nice boat at a great price!
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
So we took out the v210 today. It was in perfect condition it has 200 hours and the guy is set at 21500 is that fair? The boat was really hard to load on the trailer there's a bar that comes up off of the trailer which hooks on to the boat where the winch hook attaches. That bar comes up and then you hook up the winch. It was really hard to get that bar up. Does anyone have any info on this or a way to make it easier because this scared me a bit made it seem like you needed at least three people to load the boat.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
Also nada retail Is 17k For average retail
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
I wouldn't pay too much attention to NADA unless it comes down to financing. I think the pricce is a little steep heading into the fall/winter especially if the boat doesn't really have that many options. If the boat is absolutely mint it may be worth it.

If you tell the guy that you will go to the bank tomorrow to sign papers at 20k do you think he passes it up? There are almost always good deals on Sangers in California so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't give into paying 21500. Maybe it doesn't sell for the next 2 months and he is begging you to give him 20k?

Another thing to consider is what options you will likely want to add. 1k for triple ballast, 1.2k for PP, 700 for a nice bimini, etc....
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2010, 1:59 AM Reply   
ive got the same bar on my boat (97) and i dont find it a pain at all. we drive the boat on, and whoever drives the truck just has to lift it up and we are away. they are adjustable from memory.

price seems a tad high, but who cares if its in mint condition. would have though 19.5k would be around the right money for it.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-18-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
I have the same boat and trailer. You do not need to use the eye hook bar to load the trailer the winch works fine. Just make sure to put tow straps on the stern if your hauling a good distance. As for the boat, you won't be disappointed. That being said I have the same year with the Black Scorpion as well. I paid $20k for mine two years ago and it also did not have ballast, PP, tower speakers, etc. If anything it goes to show that these boats hold there value pretty well. As mentioned above $21.5k seems a little high, I'd be willing to bet if you told him you're ready to go to the bank and wire transfer $20k into his account today he'd bite. If not than you have a decision to make especially if it's as clean as you say it is. Good luck and welcom to the Sanger family, post some pics if you make the deal happen!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-18-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Seems a bit steep to me,but then again,I don't have the Black Scorpion motor.
Mines an 01.Admittedly,it wasn't in great shape,mostly cosmetics,but I paid 16k for it.Everything was there pretty much,just needed TLC bigtime.
If it has stock ballast,they will work,the wake will be nice.But if ya want it huge,rip out the old tanks,and put some sacks in.
They handle better than just about anything imo.

If I had it to do over again,I'd probably get a V215,simply because we discovered surfing.You can surf a V210,but it requires some well placed sacks....everywhere.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-18-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Oh,and I have the same trailer,and if it's set up right,it's pretty simple.
My wife and I do it,so it's gotta be simple.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-18-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses. We were having to lift the bow up to get the eye hook bar on and it was a real pain. He didnt drive it on to the trailer pulled the boat up then cut the motor and we were having to go back and forth trying to lift the bow high enough to get the bar and hook to match up. The guy started at 23 and he says 21.5 is his bottom line because he's taken way too good care of it to see it go for any less and he doesn't want to get rid of it.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-18-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
As stated earlier, don't worry about the bar. It's not a big deal. Just use the winch. I have close to the same set up. I use the bar as a guide to make sure my boat is in the right place. Just make sure the winch and strap are in good shape and you are good to go. Don't let this small issue prevent you from buying a clean boat.

The seller is giving you a load of bull. If he doesn't want to get rid of it, then why is he selling it? I agree with everyone else. Offer him 19.5k. Consider going to 20k if you really like it. If he doesn't take 20k, walk away. He will come back if he doesn't take your offer the first time.

I like the V210, but I still slalom ski a lot. If you like to surf, the V215 is the way to go. The V210 can get a bit sketchy if you load it too much and have to deal with large wakes created by other larger wake boats. The rub rail on the V210 will be low in the water if you weight it the correct way to surf it.

ps.. I have a 23 year old Sanger and I still love it. You can't go wrong buying a Sanger.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-18-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I don't have the bar that connects to the bow eye but a lot of MasterCrafts come with a "Boat Buddy" on the front which is a spring loaded latch that, when working properly, snags the bow eye when you drive on the trailer. Mine was messed up when I got the boat and I didn't really like it. So, I ditched it and put a roller and chain. You could probably replace the bar with a short length of chain attached to the trailer. I definitely wouldn't just trust the winch strap alone. Here's a pic of my new setup:
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-18-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Mindblur- The current owner is probably having issues with the eye hook bar becuase he's not sinking the trailer to the correct level when loading the boat. This is very important. You will eventually get the hang of it and it won't be an issue. The key do any load is the correct depth of the trailer.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
I ended up getting a 2001 super air 210 for around 19. Best purchase I have ever made. You won't find a better wake for under 40k either
Old     (rjrhino88)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-19-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
This looks to be worth a call
http://chico.craigslist.org/boa/1961006122.html
or this
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1961009442.html
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Thanks i'll see what's up with those. The first listing scares me bc of the salt water talk. Any input on that?
Old     (rjrhino88)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
well Chico is 3+ hours to the ocean with tons of lakes so I dont know why they would have ever used it in salt water unless they bought it somewhere else.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Considering how far some of you guys tow to find a lake, especially in Cali, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Chico boat is/was used in salt.

That said, it sounds like the boat is setup for it. So it shouldn't be a problem. Just something to consider when you go to check it out. Look for rusted screws, manifolds, etc.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-20-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Pass on the 2000, it has the old tower and no 3 piece hatch. I assume this was the actual boat that they used in the x games to pull wakeboarding in the SF bay and thus the reason it has been used in salt water. That 2002 boat is awesome if you could swing it i would go for that but you probably won't get it under 23K, my family had a 2001 x star and i still miss it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-24-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
http://slo.craigslist.org/boa/1953561275.html

This has been on my local CL for a few months. I just noticed the price had finally come down to reasonable. I know nothing about this boat in particular, I can only tell you I love riding my friends '01 Super Air. If you want I'll go check it out for you. I'm no mechanic but I can spot an abused boat for the most part.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-25-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Thank you for the link. I'm thinking of saving up some more so I can get a newer boat. That boat doesn't peak my interest. I called about the mastercraft in the link above but never got an answer. Still waiting for the right boat.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-12-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
Hey looking for some advice here about this boat.... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1989206834.html

I just had it checked out by liquid wrenches. I was concerned because it has a custom paint job. The paint is bubbling under the gas cap. I have the price down to 22. Should I be worried that it has a paint job over the gel coat?
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-12-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
Please help me. Should I be worried about the gel coat having paint over it?
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-13-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
That listing seems to have expired. Did you buy it? Full paint job seems iffy to me. I definitely wouldn't want a boat that has been painted
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-13-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
No I was supposed to pick it up today but I'm getting bummed out bc everyone is saying to stay away from a painted boat. Just got off the phone with the shop owner that I had checking it out. He said he wouldn't buy a painted boat. I'm in love with this boat minus the bubbling paint. It has a perfect interior, low hours, nice stereo, everything included, perfect pass, 22k.

Seller just texted me paint is cheaper to fix then gel.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-13-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Are you still lookin at the V210? I just picked one up about a month ago and I got a SMOKIN deal on it! It needed about 2k to get running good and lookin good, but that included Perfect Pass....I picked it up for 10k though with 290 hrs!

The wake on the boat is awesome! I have it sacked out with about 1800lbs of sacks right now, I am going to do the fully integrated system this winter. I couldn't be more happy with the boat! I tried out alot of boats before deciding on the sanger, and I almost bought an 02 for 24k before I got mine. If you are in the San Diego and want to ride one of these all sacked out, let me know!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-13-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
You paid to have it inspected, to get an independent voice of reason. That voice is now telling you don't do it.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-13-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
The shop also told me not to buy a painted boat but then told the seller they'd sell the boat for him if I didn't buy it.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
pm sent...
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-14-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hey re send that pm I deleted it before I even read it on accident.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
resent...
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-14-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2006811205.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/2006729016.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/2006647637.html

Any input on these boats? Thanks.
Old     (rjrhino88)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-15-2010, 10:58 PM Reply   
did you call on this? price looks to be lowered
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2006011396.html
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-15-2010, 11:27 PM Reply   
Nope I'll give a call in the morning. Any thoughts on the moomba? Gonna go look at that tomorrow.