Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
I currently own a Supra santera so it would stay at the place I store it over the winter for now. But for future ideas I was wondering what boats might fit. The house we are looking at buying has a three car garage, a double bay and an extra long single bay. Single bay would work great even for the current boat as it is 25' long but the door is only 95" so it is out.

Double bay is only 20"5" deep. Yup I know that is damn shallow and things would be real tight. I am not against building a box in the back wall to squeeze and extra few inches for things like a wedge or taps. I would have to back the boat straight in as I would still need to use the other spot for parking. I know it's possible to do it with something like a Tige 20V but I was wanting to look at all the options.

So if any body has experience with making a boat fit in a small garage please chime in I would love to here about it. Yes I know it would be a pain in the but and this isn't something I will def do I just want to see what people have to say.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
the new A20. i think...
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-20-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
The length of the A20 is exactly 20' right? I don't think it will end up fitting with only 5" to spare. Obviously the swim platform will have to come off but I don't think most swing away tongue trailers will be equal to or less than the length of the boat when folded do they?

You might be stuck with modifying the back wall some if you have the space to do it.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Can you park it diagonal? My VTX fits in two bays of my 3 car garage if I park it diagonal, with the swim platform on.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The length of the A20 is exactly 20' right? I don't think it will end up fitting with only 5" to spare. Obviously the swim platform will have to come off but I don't think most swing away tongue trailers will be equal to or less than the length of the boat when folded do they?

You might be stuck with modifying the back wall some if you have the space to do it.
I don't thing either the VTX or the A20 would fit in a 20'5" garage if you want to park it straight as both probably have a wedge which even when down would stick out more than 5 inches.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
My 89 prostar 190 wouldn't fit there because the swim platform is not removable. I'd be surprised if you could get even a 20 foot boat in there (like the axis a20) because even when you take off the platform and even if it has a swing tongue overall length tends to be a bit bigger.

I would recommend getting a boat that will be skinny enough to fit in the 95" wide door, or widen your door a bit somehow. Sanger v210 has 90" width I think (probably not counting the trailer, but mine has removable guide posts).
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-20-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
A Mastercraft X-1 is 20' 8" with the swing away tongue and platform folded.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input so far guys. Might look into the v210 a little more. Just didn't think there was anyway that a boat would be narrow enough to fit in the third car.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-20-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
...I don't think most swing away tongue trailers will be equal to or less than the length of the boat when folded do they?
Never mind, I just looked at my neighbor's SAN and the fold away tongue is actually shorter than the bow when folded. So, with the right trailer a 20' boat might fit.
Old     (yellj)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-20-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
MB Sports Team Widebody or F21, with tongue folded and tower down, they fit fine
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
Actually I don't think those will fit yellj unless the lengths given on their webiste are including the platform and the boats are shorter without them.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
That sanger idea has me thinking. I have always loved them so it would be awesome if they fit in the narrow door.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       09-20-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I am not sure how handy you are, but you might want to fabricate some hinges for the swimstep so you can simply fold it up. I know most have brackets that would have to be removed as well and that may not be an easy task each time you go in or out of the garage.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
Older nautique 210's only have a 91" beam so they might do it as well I guess. Tight but they might do it. I am not apposed to getting one those electronis movers thingys to make this work either.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
The MB Team Widebody is exactly 21' without platform. I kept mine in a standard garage that had exactly 6'9" of clearance from the floor to the bottom of the door when rolled up.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Height I am not concerned with. It's length on the double side and width on the single one.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-20-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Have you looked at the price to widen the door, don't know what the construction of the house is but you will be happier widening the door openning rather than bumping out the end of the garage. Another consideration is the garage a side entry or straight entry - I have a side entry with only 25' directly in front - PITA to turn and put away with in the single car garage.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
Front Entry. Damn widening sounds pricey LOL.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
Anybody with a VTX feel free to share what minimum length would be with platform removed and tongue folded.
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
my elite v fits perfect.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
I don't think your boat would fit in either of the applications in this thread.
Old     (dingleberry)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-20-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
The Tige RZR and R20 are shown as 20' length and 94" beam. Don't know if that length is exact or not (plus a TAPS plate), but it may be worth calling Tige to find out.

http://tige.com/boats/rzr
http://tige.com/boats/r20
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeremi View Post
Anybody with a VTX feel free to share what minimum length would be with platform removed and tongue folded.
I haven't measured my VTX witht he tongue folded, but it won't fit straight in 20'5" garage, ecspecially if you have the power wedge. I'd be will ing to bet my boat is probably about 21'5, maybe 22 with wedge and tongue folded.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
J brenner - I have exactly your situation. I bought a new house, new subdivision, gotta love the small garages.

I bought a VTX just because it was one of the only boats I could find that fits. My garage, if I remember correctly, is about 20'9" from the back wall to the inside of the garage door. My VTX fits straight in, with the tongue folded and swim platform removed. But thats BARELY fitting... you couldn't even put a lifejacket between my nose and the garage door. And it has to be perfectly straight in to make sure the door can close past the folded tongue.

Keep in mind I have the manual floating wedge, which has to be down obviously. I actually found it easier to put the boat away by taking off the two bolts that are the 'stops' for the wedge in the down position. This way the wedge will hang down a little lower and rest against the rudder. Only takes 30 seconds to take the bolts on and off when we go out, so its just like routine now. The power wedge will add probably 6" or so if you go that route.

Even with a cutout on your back wall, I don't think it would fit in your 20'5" space... with the wedge down and those bolts out, my rear rubrail sits against my back wall. You would need a few extra inches the entire width/height of your boat.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Stuey,

Really appreciate that reply as it is incredibly informative. Quick question though. On your trailer, when your tongue is folded does the trailer still stick out past the front of the boat? If so I wonder if another trailer might work better. Someone mentioned above that there friend has a trailer tongue that folds shorter than the front of the boat.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       09-21-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
Don't write off the narrow space. A friend has a very narrow garage and was able to narrow the trailer on his ski boat to fit. Its tight but goes in!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Another thing you will nedd to consider is height. WIth my tower folded I still have to take the tow ball off to get my VTX in the garage, it's about an inch too high with it
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Rob, would love to hear details and boat type if you get a chance.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-21-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
My boatmate trailer on my Centurion folds less than the tip of the boat. Removeable swim plateform, but the wakeplate is 6". They have the Falcon V which is 20ft. Haven't measured exactly tho.

Find a good local dealer and tell them to trailer over their best shot.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
It really seems like and X1 og x star might fit in the narrow. The door is 95" with about and inch to two inches of trim on each side that could be modified. On the master craft sight it lists the boat with a 90" beam and a 95" single trailer and 96" tandem. If that is the guide posts then in def might fit if those are modified in some way.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
I kind of thought all the wakeboarding boat trailers were the same width at 102"? Just because the boat is skinnier doesn't mean the trailer is.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure my trailer is about exactly even with the boat. Trailer might stick out 1" farther or so, but not much. It's an Extreme trailer. I always have to make sure the nose is snugged up right to the winch roller to make sure its in-line with the trailer as much as possible.

I'll take another look at it tonght just to confim.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
My trailer right now is only 98" and the mastercraft sight has two different sizes for the same boat so I am pretty sure there is some variance. Could be wrong.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks stuey!
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-21-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
J; recommend that have a contractor give you a quote on the cost to widen the single door - will enable you to get the boat that YOU want versus finding the boat that will fit. A little different than your case, but I only paid 1800 to have my door heightened (7' door too short for my 08 MB with tower down/off) Involved a new insulated door, and rasing the header 12 inches. In the long run you will be happier and wont require a great deal of prep work to the boat before parking or taking out.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
Jim, your probably right that will probably be what happens. Only thing is though I don't know how possible that will be with the HOA. I am sure it would be fine but we'll see I guess. Looks like there is room to easily add another 6" at least to each side. Would just involve cutting or removing brick and getting a new door.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Would just involve cutting or removing brick and getting a new door.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-21-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
i have a three car garage, the 3rd was actually 1 foot shorter than the dbl. i extended the back as far as i could (bathroom window behind) then i changed the door from 8'wx7'h to 9'x8'.

it is a bit more than "just removing the brick" how much info is needed here? the cost for the door project was under $1000. but i did the engineering and work myself, except the door install.

i have an HOA that i had to get permission from. the final deal you can hardly tell the door was changed.

i have a moomba LSV. i have to take the swim platform and guide poles off every time out, but i store inside and under my care.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-24-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
I just thought I would update. Sanger got back to me and said that they can do custom trailers for the v210 that are only 91" wide. Pretty cool I thought.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have similar questions, my third car garage is 14' wide and 26' deep, but only has a 7' door. What 21-22 foot boats in the ~$40k price range will fit in a garage with a door that is exactly 7' tall?

It looks like an X1 or X2 folds down to below 7'. How high is a 2007+ Malibu VLX or 21' Vride at the highest point with the tower folded?
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quite a few boats advertise that they'll fit under a 7' door. The sanger v210 does with room to spare. Check out the manufacturers web sites and the "specs" of the boats you are interested in and a lot of times they tell you.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I have been checking out the manufacuters websites but haven't been able to find any solid info regarding trailer height (with the tower folded) on any of the Malibu, Mastercraft, or Moomba boats that I have been looking at.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
I know the VLX is about 3 inches taller than my VTX. My VTX barely fits in the garage with the tower down. Like I said earlier, I have to take the tow ball off to make it work, while lowering the jack as low as it will go and pushing it in.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-24-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Yeah that was the next question I put to sanger since obviously the narrower trailer might make the boat sit higher.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Interesting, malibu has a page that says new 2010 models should fit: http://www.malibuboats.com/news/show/34 (you should read that carefully, I have never owned one)
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-28-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
7' door I think you have to measure the boat in person. My boat sits 3 inches lower on the trailer than the exact boat model, exact year, exact trailer. I have to shim my boatmate trailer up because my prop can rub the prop guard. I seem to have a defective boatmate trailer as it shouldn't differ that much but still could be 1/2"-1" as acceptible bunk height.

Don't go by what a website says!!!! or even other people's boat measurments if it's That close

Changing your trailer tires for low profile works too as a fairly cheap alternative. trailer rides Much better.